Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: All hail the King! (Stephen that is)

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Awesome thanks - will add them on my list.
    You get a chance to check any of them out?

I'm a little over halfway through 11/22/63. Started out pretty intense but is lulling a bit atm - can sense the hammer coming though!
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    You get a chance to check any of them out?

I'm a little over halfway through 11/22/63. Started out pretty intense but is lulling a bit atm - can sense the hammer coming though!
    Yeah I read the Terror. Enjoyed it, but it took a bit of time to get into it.

I've purposely avoided any mention of 11/22/63, as I am waiting until comes out here in paperback in the summer. Looking forward to it.

Dobber Sports Stud

He's a good actor, but I am not sure if he really looks right (for me). Of course over about 6,000 pages of Roland as the main character, you build up an image of him in your mind...Javier will do a good job I am sure, but my image of Roland is a young Clint Eastwood or Russell Crowe. Tough, weathered, with a deadly stare...

Hope they don't mess it up, and I hope the movies are long (if they did it right, they would do a movie for every one of the 7 books). For the sake of the length of the movie, stuff will have to be cut (especially for The Drawing of the Three and The Waste Lands) - but I hope they effort to preserve the real storyline and include all the major scenes...

Cautiously optimistic about the whole project, anxious to see what it looks like.
    I wouldn't have picked Javier either. There were some pictures of Roland in a silhouette and he was a lean and skinny. His face should be ragged and badass.
    Sneeze Girl: retired (Brett Favre'd)

9 Keeper, 7 Teams:

1 G, 1 A, 1 PPA, 1 PPG, 2 GWG, 1 SHG, +/-

3 WIN, -1 LOST, 5 SHUTOUT, -0.5 GA, 0.3 SV, -0.2 SHOT

The Wolverine

DAN SIMMONS

Seriously, amazing - I think I even like him more than King.

- The Terror (one of my all time favourite books)
    - Ilium/Olympos
    - Hyperion Series (4)
    - Carrion Comfort
    - Summer of Night
    Hey, I found Carrion Comfort in a charity shop over the weekend. Seems like an interesting story. I'm not when I'll start reading it as there's the final book of a trilogy coming out soon that I want to read next:

Mira Grant, Newsflesh Trilogy

The Wolverine

For Dark Tower fans, his newest part of the amazing story The Wind Through The Keyhole will be released on March 12, 2012. It is set after DT4 Wizard & Glass and before DT5 Wolves of the Calla, and doesn't affect those who have already read the entire series. But it fills a gap in the story.

http://www.stephenking.com/promo/win.../announcement/
    Out now but I am being patient until it comes out in paperback here. Intrigued.

The Wolverine

Some news and future works:

http://www.stephenking.com/news.html

The man is still going strong. Wow!

http://www.stephenking.com/future_works.html
    Last edited by horrorfan; June 5, 2012 at 6:05 AM.

Dobber Sports Icon

Looks like Dark Tower is on again...

http://www.shortlist.com/entertainme...en-king-movies
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Immortal

Im almost done the first book of that series. It's been decent so far but is it worth continuing the series?

I...am your father.

My favorite King books, and I've read them all (the better ones several times):

1. It
    2. The Stand
    3. Christine
    4. The Shining
    5. The Dark Tower (count series as one)
    6. Cujo
    7. Salem's Lot
    8. Carrie
    9. Firestarter
    10. The Dead Zone (first book I read of his)
    11. Misery
    12. Under the Dome
    13. Pet Sematary
    14. The Green Mile
    15. The Tommyknockers

Other thoughts/opinions -

I enjoyed the Dark Tower a lot. I thought it was brilliant. But I don't think it makes my Top 5 all time fantasy series. It probably makes my Top 10 though.

I thought The Cell was this fantastic comeback story for King, as he had been losing his touch (you can't be awesome forever) - but then it had a horrible ending/final 100 pages or so. Ruined the whole thing for me. Instead, the Dome was his comeback book.

Looking forward to Doctor Sleep and 11/22/63!
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Im almost done the first book of that series. It's been decent so far but is it worth continuing the series?
    Definitely worth continuing - stick with it.

The Wolverine

Interesting, hope it works out this time. A lot of other ones on the go as well.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    My favorite King books, and I've read them all (the better ones several times):

1. It
    2. The Stand
    3. Christine
    4. The Shining
    5. The Dark Tower (count series as one)
    6. Cujo
    7. Salem's Lot
    8. Carrie
    9. Firestarter
    10. The Dead Zone (first book I read of his)
    11. Misery
    12. Under the Dome
    13. Pet Sematary
    14. The Green Mile
    15. The Tommyknockers

Other thoughts/opinions -

I enjoyed the Dark Tower a lot. I thought it was brilliant. But I don't think it makes my Top 5 all time fantasy series. It probably makes my Top 10 though.

I thought The Cell was this fantastic comeback story for King, as he had been losing his touch (you can't be awesome forever) - but then it had a horrible ending/final 100 pages or so. Ruined the whole thing for me. Instead, the Dome was his comeback book.

Looking forward to Doctor Sleep and 11/22/63!
    Good list. Another one that I love and is a bit under the radar (other than for us hardcore SK fans) is the Long Walk. Desperation is up there for me as well.

Looking forward to his new ones as well. Being patient and waiting for them to come out in paperback here in the UK. Also, don't forget about Wind Through the Keyhole - the latest Dark Tower story, set in between Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla.

For those who have read the new ones already, please NO SPOILERS!

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    I'll echo Horrorfan's recommendation. The first book to me is sort of disjointed and has more of a mystic/acid trip quality then the rest. The next book up in the series, The Drawing of the Three gets better and after that it's off to the races. By the mid point of book three the story will have it's hooks sunk deeply into you.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Immortal

Interesting, hope it works out this time. A lot of other ones on the go as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    I'll echo Horrorfan's recommendation. The first book to me is sort of disjointed and has more of a mystic/acid trip quality then the rest. The next book up in the series, The Drawing of the Three gets better and after that it's off to the races. By the mid point of book three the story will have it's hooks sunk deeply into you.
    Thanks boys. Do they get longer after book 1 like I feel every series does? I kind of like how book 1 is only 300 pgs or whatever.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    In total agreement. Also the Gunslinger was first written in the late 70s and early 80s, and King admitted the language was a bit rough around the edges as well. It took me a second attempt 2-3 years ago to get through it (the first time I tried I didn't know much about the story) but then it got me hooked and read all seven back to back. I have since read them all again.