Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: All hail the King! (Stephen that is)

The Wolverine

Default Re: All hail the King! (Stephen that is)

Just to get the discussion going again, what are your top five favourite stand alone Stephen King novels? I say stand alone because I'd be tempted to include the Dark Tower or short stories.

For me:

1) The Stand
    2) The Long Walk
    3) Desperation
    4) IT
    5) The Shining

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Just to get the discussion going again, what are your top five favourite stand alone Stephen King novels? I say stand alone because I'd be tempted to include the Dark Tower or short stories.

For me:

1) The Stand
    2) The Long Walk
    3) Desperation
    4) IT
    5) The Shining
    Funny thats very close to mine. I need to exlude any of the last 10 years so from the classic i´d move up IT to 2) and prefer She to Shining.
    Commish of UNFFHL, dangered species being the sole Panthers fan on Dobber.

Dobber Sports Star

The Stand
    It
    Salem's Lot
    The Eyes of the Dragon
    Cujo

Rylant

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Can't argue with these lists... I haven't read a majority of King's work... but I have read & loved The Stand, It, and the Long Walk (as a shorter story).
    I read 11/22/63 last year, that was pretty good - very enjoyable as a mid-length read.
    I'd recommend it - and I'd imagine it would be top 25% of most people's rankings of King's work - it's good.

The Long Walk is my favourite.
    I love a physical journey in a story that plays along with the psychological concepts of the character(s).
    Even though it was a shorter work, it's my fave.

I read the first few Gunslinger books while in high school... but the story has since faded from my memory... so I have to question how much I really enjoyed it.
    Maybe it was simply too much to remember (in the same sense that I can't honestly say I remember much about LOTR except for leaving the shire and arriving at the end Mountain & some parts with golum).

For me, the "supernatural" antogonist has never worked so well in a singular form and I actually look forward to his works that do not include a Randall Flagg-ish evil being.

Dobber Sports Superstar

The Shining
    The Stand
    Salem's Lot
    The Dead Zone
    Christine

(I roll old school.)

EDIT: I would include "Different Seasons" over "Christine" as a whole, but I didn't want to select a specific novella from it.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Guru

I find the problem with Stephen King books now is that it feels like he doesn't know how the book should end, so he just comes up with some crazy stuff that makes no sense. I really liked The Dome until the last 50-100 pages. I really liked the Cell until the last 50-100 pages. etc etc. It's a shame, because I think the Cell would have been my favourite King book until about halfway through and it started dying a slow death.

Anyways, for me, his best book was The Stand. Desperation and The Regulators were well done as well (need to read them back-to-back). After that, it's a bunch of his short stories/collections that I like.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I find the problem with Stephen King books now is that it feels like he doesn't know how the book should end, so he just comes up with some crazy stuff that makes no sense. I really liked The Dome until the last 50-100 pages. I really liked the Cell until the last 50-100 pages. etc etc. It's a shame, because I think the Cell would have been my favourite King book until about halfway through and it started dying a slow death.

Anyways, for me, his best book was The Stand. Desperation and The Regulators were well done as well (need to read them back-to-back). After that, it's a bunch of his short stories/collections that I like.
    I don't think this is some new phenomena. This has been the knock against him for quite a long time. He's addressed it himself in interviews.

I mean, just take "IT", for example. All that to get to a giant spider? Really?

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Ninja

Did anyone here finish reading Gerald's Game? It was the only King book I couldn't finish and I've read and enjoyed a lot of his books.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Did anyone here finish reading Gerald's Game? It was the only King book I couldn't finish and I've read and enjoyed a lot of his books.
    I did. It was demented the whole way. Easily the worst book of his that I have ever come across.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post

The Long Walk is my favourite.
    I love a physical journey in a story that plays along with the psychological concepts of the character(s).
    Even though it was a shorter work, it's my fave.
    Yeah this one hooked me early and could hardly put it down. You could easily read it all in one go and it had that almost realistic feel to it, like it could actually happen. Impressive considering he wrote it in the 60s (I think I read it was the first book he ever wrote) and now we have all these reality/adventure type competitions out there.

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post

Desperation and The Regulators were well done as well (need to read them back-to-back).
    Yep agree they should be read consecutively. In the Regulators, it's impressive how he used a lot of the same characters as Desperation but in a completely different context.

It's been awhile since I read it and I think it falls in the group of books that I thought was decent at the time, but not as memorable as many others.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I believe this was the book that formally ended my tenure as a Stephen King "P1", although some of his earlier works (eg. "IT" and "The Dark Half") set that ball rolling.

RETIRED

The Wolverine

Some speculation on The Stand and IT films:

http://deadline.com/2014/11/the-stan...ms-1201291709/

http://www.vulture.com/2014/12/fukun...xt-summer.html

I'm intrigued by both of them but holding my breath until all the facts are confirmed and everything happens. These two are among my favourite King books (The Stand is my favourite) so hope it's done right.

Plus an interview between King and AC/DC back in the 80s:

The Wolverine

Time to refresh this thread. Interesting read about upcoming plans to make several King works into films. Some are more likely than others, of course.

http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/steph...in-development

Dobber Sports Wizard

I'm with you about The Stand HF. The miniseries was good but too constrained with the medium used to deliver it. So much meat left on the bone. Really hope the 3 or 4 film idea leads to something, not just teasing us.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Master

I have long enjoyed Stephen King, and would say my top 5 King books are:
    A) It
    B) The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
    C) The Stand
    D) Needful Things
    E) The Shining

I don't suppose my second and fourth choices will got a lot of support as faves, but I really enjoyed them both.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy