Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: All hail the King! (Stephen that is)

Dobber Sports Ninja

My wife and I watched the latest episode of Under the Dome last night and it's getting worse with every episode. Now that we know that they are going to try and stretch it out into another season we've pretty much already decided to stop watching it.

It should have been a mini-series type setup I think. Acting has been pretty weak, and the plotholes are SO bad as well. Really too bad as I was hoping for more.

Dobber Sports Stud

I just finished The Gunslinger. I thought it had its highs and lows, but overall, it kept me hooked and I enjoyed it.

Some parts were confusing at first, but I felt I understood them better after I kept on reading. I'm interested to see how it picks up in the next book. For anyone that's read The Gunslinger, I have a question about the end...

Question (well not really a question, maybe just need someone to confirm it)
    So what I understand is the entire part at the end, from when the man in black told Roland he won't see daylight for a long time (when Roland tried to attack him after he read the tarot cards), was a dream or a vision? Roland supposedly wakes up 10 years later and finds the man in black dead, all skeleton-like next to him? And if so, what was the point of the 10 year hiatus?
    Last edited by AtlantaSportsFan; August 7, 2013 at 6:44 PM.
    Go Jets Go

Featured Columnist for the Winnipeg Jets
    http://bleacherreport.com/users/386108-anthony-capocci

Follow for Winnipeg Jets Updates
    www.twitter.com/CapocciJETS

Dobber Sports Icon

If anyone is interested, there was a nice piece in the NY Times Magazine last weekend on the entire King family, their writing, etc.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

The Wolverine

Watching Under the Dome now. Not bad so far. Four (I think) episodes in, we'll see how it goes over the next few weeks. I can't remember much from the book and I know there are changes, so trying to look at on its own.

The Wolverine

The Wolverine

As Doctor Sleep will be out soon, Stephen King is doing a promotional tour in France (Paris) and Germany (Munich, Hamburg) in November:

http://www.stephenking.com/promo/doc...book_tour.html

Guess who's going to see him in Paris on the 16th?

Dobber Sports Master

Why would King go to Paris?
    I don't get the attraction for a horror writer to go to the city of love.

I mean, it isn't like the city has massively creepy crypts under it that look like this:

/S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    Why would King go to Paris?
    I don't get the attraction for a horror writer to go to the city of love.

I mean, it isn't like the city has massively creepy crypts under it that look like this:

We're actually considering going there if we have time! Only there for the weekend though.

Dobber Sports Genius

What's the story with those crypts? I don't know anything about them.

On another note, I'm slowly trekking my way through book 4 of the Dark Tower (I'm at around page 520), and it's fantastic. Easily my favourite so far.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    Yeah I'm sure the series was written to end with the 13th episode, I don't know how they are going to take it beyond the book...but they've changed so much already, I guess it doesn't matter anymore.

A bit surprised King is so on board with it - writing the first episode of season 2 and all. His screenplays have never been much, so I am not exactly dripping with anticipation.
    Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    My wife and I watched the latest episode of Under the Dome last night and it's getting worse with every episode. Now that we know that they are going to try and stretch it out into another season we've pretty much already decided to stop watching it.

It should have been a mini-series type setup I think. Acting has been pretty weak, and the plotholes are SO bad as well. Really too bad as I was hoping for more.
    Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Watching Under the Dome now. Not bad so far. Four (I think) episodes in, we'll see how it goes over the next few weeks. I can't remember much from the book and I know there are changes, so trying to look at on its own.
    Well I've just finished watching Under the Dome. I won't give spoilers but I got bored about half way through and just wanted it to end. Now that the first series is done, I highly doubt I will watch the second series. I can't remember much of the book but they stretched this out way too much. They could've done it in half the episodes, so the fact that they're having a second series is mind boggling to me. Oh well.

Dobber Sports Genius

I started Doctor Sleep, only a few pages in, but not bad. I never did finish the Shining but I don't think that matters. I get the gist of it.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

The Wolverine

Default Re: All hail the King! (Stephen that is)

I figure it's been too long since this thread has been inactive.

Well I've just finished watching Under the Dome. I won't give spoilers but I got bored about half way through and just wanted it to end. Now that the first series is done, I highly doubt I will watch the second series. I can't remember much of the book but they stretched this out way too much. They could've done it in half the episodes, so the fact that they're having a second series is mind boggling to me. Oh well.
    Well I decided to watch the first episode of the second series and thought it was just as poor so I'm done with it. I haven't gone back to check how it's going.

Quote Originally Posted by Call of Doughty View Post
    I started Doctor Sleep, only a few pages in, but not bad. I never did finish the Shining but I don't think that matters. I get the gist of it.
    Did you enjoy it? I've read it and thought it was pretty good.

King's latest novel now released:

http://stephenking.com/promo/revival/

A good read on some of his past works:

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/...-to-z-20141111

Dobber Sports Expert

We're actually considering going there if we have time! Only there for the weekend though.
    Do it! Its an awesome expierience and you will get to know a lot about the French civil war that was going on in Paris. There is just too much to see in Paris to be able to get everything in,but make sure to see the non-tourist trap things as well. Check arround the area arround the zoo, where a boatload of youth culture is happening. One of the biggest Graffiti areas that is legal in the world, one of the biggest fleamarkets in the world etc.

Btw as a big fan of the earlier King stuff, how good are the newer books? I stopped arround 10-15 years ago to read everything he had out. What would really intrest me is how good is the "Dark Tower" series? I am big fan of the weird west in general.
    Commish of UNFFHL, dangered species being the sole Panthers fan on Dobber.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by keytolife View Post
    Do it! Its an awesome expierience and you will get to know a lot about the French civil war that was going on in Paris. There is just too much to see in Paris to be able to get everything in,but make sure to see the non-tourist trap things as well. Check arround the area arround the zoo, where a boatload of youth culture is happening. One of the biggest Graffiti areas that is legal in the world, one of the biggest fleamarkets in the world etc.
    Well, it was last year but unfortunately didn't have time. We only had two days, the first was pretty much queuing from 11am until King's talk started in the evening (well worth the wait!) and the second we went to Versailles.

Quote Originally Posted by keytolife View Post
    Btw as a big fan of the earlier King stuff, how good are the newer books? I stopped arround 10-15 years ago to read everything he had out. What would really intrest me is how good is the "Dark Tower" series? I am big fan of the weird west in general.
    I find his newer books are hit and miss, but depends what you like about them. For example, I though Lisey's Story was ok, not one of my favourites, but King himself feels it's his best book. My favourite newer ones are 11/22/63 and Doctor Sleep). Though I haven't read his latest ones yet (Joyland, Mr Mercedes and Revival, the latter has just been released this week).

I loved the Dark Tower series, and I'm not a big 'west' fan in general. It's a really interesting mix of wild west, fantasy, modern, sci fi, action etc and I was hooked. I would highly recommend reading it, but one suggestion - don't take a break. Read them all consecutively. His latest DT book, The Wind Through the Keyhole, is set in between 4 and 5 so you might as well read it in order if you can. However, it's not required as it's pretty much a stand alone story.

Dobber Sports Expert

Well, it was last year but unfortunately didn't have time. We only had two days, the first was pretty much queuing from 11am until it started in the evening and the second we went to Versailles.

I find his newer books are hit and miss, but depends what you like about them. For example, I though Lisey's Story was ok, not one of my favourites, but King himself feels it's his best book. I loved the Dark Tower series, and I'm not a big 'west' fan in general. It's a really interesting mix of wild west, fantasy, modern, sci fi, action etc and I was hooked. I would highly recommend reading it, but one suggestion - don't take a break. Read them all consecutively. His latest DT book, The Wind Through the Keyhole, is set in between 4 and 5 so you might as well read it in order if you can. However, it's not required as it's pretty much a stand alone story.
    Ah damn i missed the part on last year. Hope you enjoyed the trip. Thanks for the input! Sadly i am binge reader. Mainly when vacation time hits i get through a book a day but otherwise my work is too much reading already. I make sure to get them now, since you recommend them.
    Commish of UNFFHL, dangered species being the sole Panthers fan on Dobber.