Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15

Thread: All hail the King! (Stephen that is)

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: All hail the King! (Stephen that is)

I hear what horror fan is saying. I really wish they were able to go with a book by book adaptation bit I understand that's more difficult to get done.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    I hear what horror fan is saying. I really wish they were able to go with a book by book adaptation bit I understand that's more difficult to get done.
    I don't even need a book by book adaptation - I'm fine with how they're doing it, especially if it turns into more films. But based on the trailer, it just seemed something was missing...something to make it unique. Of course, it's just a few clips but it didn't do much for me. Time will tell.

The Wolverine

Well, I might as well add some very very brief thoughts on Dark Tower and IT (trying to avoid spoilers but could be vague).

Dark Tower - meh. I think they overcomplicated it, and could be confusing to non-DT readers. Would love to hear what others think. Hope a second one is doable but I don't know where they will go from there.

IT - great. I think they made it well, the kids were solid actors and I liked the new Pennywise.

Thoughts?

The Magnificent One

Here's a list to chew on. I disagree with a lot, mostly with a lot of "so bad they're good" ones being too low.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/every...t-to-best.html
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I recently picked up The Shining (book), read it, then watched the movie.
    Sort of a fun thing to do... and now I'm currently a few chapters into Doctor Sleep. (Review on that later)
    All this spurred by my wife making me read a book called YOU (chick book about cell-phone stealing stalker. 3.5/5)

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Here's a list to chew on. I disagree with a lot, mostly with a lot of "so bad they're good" ones being too low.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/every...t-to-best.html
    Shawshank at #4 makes me want to scream.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Well, I might as well add some very very brief thoughts on Dark Tower and IT (trying to avoid spoilers but could be vague).

Dark Tower - meh. I think they overcomplicated it, and could be confusing to non-DT readers. Would love to hear what others think. Hope a second one is doable but I don't know where they will go from there.

IT - great. I think they made it well, the kids were solid actors and I liked the new Pennywise.

Thoughts?
    I haven't see The Dark Tower yet. I'm too scared to watch it after the mainstream reviews.

Banned

Salem's Lot and The Green Mile are great classics for me. I've read them a long time ago, and this question pushes me to read them again.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by rowcarmine View Post
    Salem's Lot and The Green Mile are great classics for me. I've read them a long time ago, and this question pushes me to read them again.
    Wow.........I had no idea he wrote The Green Mile.

Banned

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    I haven't see The Dark Tower yet. I'm too scared to watch it after the mainstream reviews.
    Watching it without having read it, I'm guessing, is better.

If you did read it (I did) and haven't yet watched the movie (I have not - I'm not allowed in theaters yet lol), my plan is to consider this movie a sequel to the books and not a movie about the books
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Master

The movie is actually a sequel to the books. That is what I have been able to gather from some of the pictures that have been released. Its a good plan to think of it as an extension to the story. I think there is going to be a series based around the timeline from wizard and glass. I'm desperate for new stories of Roland and his gang.

I dont think this is a spoiler for anyone who hasn't watched the movie or read the books, but I will hide it anyway. This is what makes me think its a sequel.

ps... Great to see you around again.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Watching it without having read it, I'm guessing, is better.

If you did read it (I did) and haven't yet watched the movie (I have not - I'm not allowed in theaters yet lol), my plan is to consider this movie a sequel to the books and not a movie about the books
    https://otorrents.com/the-dark-tower-2017
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Master

OK... I watched it. AND........ I'm not that happy. I am confused as to who this movie is going to please. It wont please the book readers. So much was skipped and glossed over. The telling of this round of the story was so rushed and it didn't make sense as a sequel. It wont please people who are new to the story because it didn't take the time to get the audience invested in the characters. Overall its pretty disappointing from any point of view.

If they do a follow up tv series, I hope it does the story justice and none was given in the movie. 3/10.

Dobber Sports Master

I should say that it isn't all bad. There is much potential with McConaughey as Walter o'Dim. Great choice there. Also Idra Elbis as Roland also works very well. The problem I have with the movie is that neither character was developed very well. Randall Flagg was developed better than Roland. Roland kind of made no sense as the audience wasn't given any indication of why he acted the way he did. As result, he seemed like a bit of a dick. There was glimpses of who Roland is, but the character suffered due to lack of time. No Eddie or Susannah was also a fairly big loss.