Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's happened to Saros

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default What's happened to Saros

For years he was the backup to have. He seemed like he would start on many NHL franchises, but he was stuck behind Rinne and was just biding his time (ala Rask with Thomas and Schneider with Brodeur). However his performance last season and his performance last night were truly awful. Is he just complacent knowing how well he plays or how poorly he plays will really have no affect on whether or not he becomes the starter? Is it time to drop him and go another direction?

Unfortunately I have lost the opportunity to get Halak, but there are still some serviceable pieces available on the FA list.
    In a 10 league where we start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D and 2 G daily. It is a H2H league - we keep 3 players (1 G max), are allowed a max of 2 keeps for each player. The number in brackets is the number of keeps I have left:

G, A, +/-, PIMs, PPG, PPA and Shots.
    C - Larkin, Couturier, Kopitar, Cirelli
    LW - OV, Panarin (1), Schenn (C), Ehlers (RW), Kreider
    RW - Kucherov (0), Seguin (C), Palmieri, Voracek, Yamamoto
    D - Yandle, DeAngelo

W, GAA, SV% and Saves.
    G - Rask, Varlamov, Hart, Mrazek
    IR+ - Tarasenko

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: What's happened to Saros

It's not the time to sell him right now, he is a sell low...Back-up goalie are struggling sometimes...
    1) 16 teams full keeper H2H. Start 9F, 4D, 1G, 2 Championships
    pts: (D : 7 pts G /5 pts A), (F : 5pts G /3 pts A), (G : 10 pts W / 5 pts SO), (D/F : 1 pt +/-, 0.5 pts PIM, 0.1 FOW, 0.2 Hits, 0.3 pts SOG, PP and SH).

Forward : Aho, Svechnikov, PLDubois, Giroux, Couture, Wheeler, Cozens, Karlsson, Vrana, Anderson,​Greenway,

Defenses : Dahlin, Fox, Doughty, Toews, , Slavin, Miller

Goalies : Oettinger, Vanecek, Bobrovsky

Prospects : Dostal, Schmid, Chinakhov, Bordeleau, Ostlund, Brindley, Gulyayev

Dobber Sports Superstar

Well I don't know how many times I've said this, but 99% of Goalies are Flakes, Nutbars and a right royal pain in the ass (:

Saros, is proving no different. If you remember, Markstrom was the same, he was the #1 goalie prospect on the planet for years and then when it was show time the wheels came off. Now however, the wheels are back on. Flakes! All you can do is weather the storm and hope for the best, I fully agree, now is NOT the time to try and move him. The talent was there, hopefully for Saros owners it comes out of hiding and he's ready to take over the reigns next year .....or not ..... (:
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Master

he's behind Rinne + preds dont play often on ''off nights'' . I was rarely able to start him last year in a keeper because of this ; would have been better off using that spot to stream to get more stats .

every league is different so I'm not advising to do anything drastic .

The Great One

31 starts last year with 2.62 and .915 - those aren't bad stats. He's just stuck behind an elite goaltender who took less money to re-sign. Unless Rinne declines, I'd expect more of the same from Saros this year and next year. He's a long-term hold. And if you can't use him, you should be peddling him to a cellar-dweller type team.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I agree and I am an owner of him. Hold him and wait until Rinne is done. Last nights game was a dud and there will be other games like that this season, but there will be good games as well.
    MD Rink Rats( 14 Team Keeper H2H Yahoo League)
    ​G,A,PIM, PPP, HIT, BLK/ W, GAA, SV%, SHO

D: K. Yandle- Fla, J. Muzzin- Tor, S. Gostisbehere- Phi, R. Pulock-NYI, S. Girard- Col, T.J. Brodie- Cgy, B. Pesce- Car
    C: T. Seguin- Dal, M. Scheifele- Wpg, E. Pettersson- Van, D. Larkin- Det, D. Stepan- Ari
    RW: V. Tarasenko- Stl, P. Kessel- Ari, S. Reinhart- Buf(C), E. Lindhom- Cgy(C), T. Toffoli-LA, B. Connolly- Fla(LW), D. Kahun-Pit(LW)
    LW: T. Hall- NJ, A. DeBrincat- Chi(RW), J. Skinner- Buf(C), T. Tatar- Mon(RW), A. Iafallo- LA, J. Dickinson- Dal(C)
    G: S. Varlamov- NYI, J. Howard- Det, M. Smith- Edm, J. Saros- Nas, P. Francouz-Col

Dobber Sports Veteran

It's funny to see how we all panic after 2 games... Hutton is a star, Blackwood and Saros are dropable. It's the best time of the year to make trades. By low, sell high...
    pts: (D : 7 pts G /5 pts A), (F : 5pts G /3 pts A), (G : 10 pts W / 5 pts SO), (D/F : 1 pt +/-, 0.5 pts PIM, 0.1 FOW, 0.2 Hits, 0.3 pts SOG, PP and SH).

Forward : Aho, Svechnikov, PLDubois, Giroux, Couture, Wheeler, Cozens, Karlsson, Vrana, Anderson,​Greenway,

Dobber Sports Genius

I have always seen Saros as a comparable to Jonas Enroth.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by anthonybeaty View Post
    For years he was the backup to have. He seemed like he would start on many NHL franchises, but he was stuck behind Rinne and was just biding his time (ala Rask with Thomas and Schneider with Brodeur). However his performance last season and his performance last night were truly awful. Is he just complacent knowing how well he plays or how poorly he plays will really have no affect on whether or not he becomes the starter? Is it time to drop him and go another direction?

Unfortunately I have lost the opportunity to get Halak, but there are still some serviceable pieces available on the FA list.
    You have a VERY strange definiton of "truly awful". It covers both of these based on what you posted:
    Last night:
    .852 SV% 4.15 GAA, 161 GA%-

Last year:
    .915 SV%, 2.62 GAA, 94 GA%-, 17 wins in 27 starts, 3 shutouts.

Last year was above average goaltending, not close to truly awful. If you really feel that is legitimately awful, you probably need to roll with just Vasilevskiy in net, and plan to punt goaltending.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    You have a VERY strange definiton of "truly awful". It covers both of these based on what you posted:
    Last night:
    .852 SV% 4.15 GAA, 161 GA%-

Last year:
    .915 SV%, 2.62 GAA, 94 GA%-, 17 wins in 27 starts, 3 shutouts.

Last year was above average goaltending, not close to truly awful. If you really feel that is legitimately awful, you probably need to roll with just Vasilevskiy in net, and plan to punt goaltending.
    That's fair. My truly awful comment was more directed to his first appearance this year and by my dangling participle it was applied to last year.
    In a 10 league where we start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D and 2 G daily. It is a H2H league - we keep 3 players (1 G max), are allowed a max of 2 keeps for each player. The number in brackets is the number of keeps I have left:

D - Yandle, DeAngelo

W, GAA, SV% and Saves.
    IR+ - Tarasenko

Dobber Sports Grand Master

That's fair. My truly awful comment was more directed to his first appearance this year and by my dangling participle it was applied to last year.
    Gotcha. That first start was truly awful. I think it's just one start. He should look better after a few more games.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I think it is hard for backup goalies especially for ones who are suppose to be the heir apparent starters. They only get spot starts so it is hard really to stay fresh cuz they don't really get to see game action all the time and then they get put in there against sometimes clubs they have great offenses and are expected to stand on their heads. It can't happen all the time.

Dobber Sports Master

He’s an undersized goaltender with above average positioning and reflexes. If there was a shred of doubt he couldn’t play, he’d be out of the league on account for a bias for size at the position. Dude can play. He needs a groove is all. All athletes do.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Second terrible start (of 2) this season. Aaaaarrrgggh!

D - Yandle, DeAngelo

W, GAA, SV% and Saves.
    IR+ - Tarasenko

Dobber Sports Veteran

Second terrible start (of 2) this season. Aaaaarrrgggh!
    Buy lowwwww