Thread: Strategy - Draft 3rd Goalie or Stream 3rd Goalie

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Strategy - Draft 3rd Goalie or Stream 3rd Goalie

I've in a 10 team H2H keeper with 5 of the 14 cats belonging to goalies: W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO. With a fairly underwhelming bunch available in today's redraft, I am considering not drafting a 3rd, and using my available picks to bolster my skaters. All teams carry 3 starters (most kept 3 starters), so I would be streaming goalies off the wire to keep up in wins and saves. We have 4 moves per week.

Goalies available in the redraft are:

Hiller
    Bernier
    Smith
    Lehner
    Mrazek
    Lehtonen
    Hammond
    Niemi

Is not drafting a 3rd goalie and utilizing spot starts/waiting and snagging a backup in the event of an injury a solid strategy? OR should I bite the bullet and use a pick to target one of the listed keepers?
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

The Great One

Default Re: Strategy - Draft 3rd Goalie or Stream 3rd Goalie

I think Niemi will emerge as the starting goalie, and Dallas will be playoff bound. I'd be tempted to draft him late.

Dobber Sports Immortal

That's a really small roster for 10 teams! Your wire must be stacked.

I would say Niemi or Mrazek.....only because everyone else is doing it.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Agree w/others... Niemi & Mrazek are best available - and should go quick.
    With "SV" in play, having several goalies can be good... but when you have two as good as Lundqvist/Quick... you might not want to cannibalize your ratio stats (GAA/SV%) just chasing SV.

I'd definitely be late-drafting Raanta, just to get all 82gp from NYR goalies.
    And I'd look to late-draft Scott Darling - who I expect to get a lot of SUN starts for CHI - and that's really valuable in H2H match-ups that end on Sunday.

If you can nab those two - or be first to stream those two when they play - then no, you don't need to early draft a 3rd goalie.
    Good luck.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Im using the stream out of necessity. G1/G2 are Elliot and Pavelec, had the Hamburgalar (damn autodraft anyways) but decided to grab Darling as Im figuring he will get the second half of the back to back this week.

You could always grab the skater and see how ur two studs keep up and change it up if need be.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

The only one I would consider on the list is Mrazek.. And I would only draft him if he fell into my lap. Drafting good but not great Goalies (2.50 GAA, 910%) can hurt you as much as they help, especially in a fewer team league.

Your duo of Henrik and Quick is strong enough that I would run with that and focus more on Skaters, which make up the majority of your league stats anyways. I've also been a fan of grabbing 2 quality backups in place of 1 starter. 2 backups, with their inflated stats, usually comes close to equivalent of 1 top starter.. Only difference is you're getting 1st/2nd round production off waivers.