Thread: Crosby + Iggy now together... Kunitz out

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Crosby + Iggy now together... Kunitz out

I was checking out the boxscore from tonight's game and noticed that Iggy assisted on an even-strength Crosby goal. I wanted to see if it was just an odd make-shift line combo, or if Bylsma was playing them together so I went to my patented shift chart tool:
    http://timeonice.com/default.html?Ga...0115&submit=Go

Low and behold Crosby and Iggy were moved to the same line together along with Dupuis starting in the 2nd period! Kunitz was moved to the Malkin/Neal line.

As an Iggy/Neal owner, I really hope Bylsma sticks with these new lines... talk about having the best of both worlds!

Dobber Sports Veteran

I thought they should have done this sooner but with Kunitz going nutty this year next to Crosby it made it hard to just take him off the line. It was even harder when Crosby got injured and Bylsma didn't get to experiment with line combinations at the end of the year.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Giant

Yeah, these lines have been a long time coming. Crosby and Iginla are friends, they're comfortable with each other, and they are both more so North/South type skill players. Not to mention the fact that Iginla gets to play his natural RW with Crosby as opposed to the left side predominantly with Malkin.

As an off-shoot, it's not just about Iginla and Crosby working very well together -- it's also about Malkin/Neal being effective together on the "second" line. While Iginla was on that line Malkin seems less effective, searching for Iginla (playing his off-wing) instead of just allowing the plays to develop with James Neal. Chris Kunitz -- an incredibly versatile forward for this team for a long time -- not only understands how to play with Malkin/Neal VERY effectively, he also plays the LW naturally. We all know that Kunitz-Malkin-Neal was a pretty effective line all 2011-12, so if Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla can find some chemistry this Penguins team is going to be seriously deadly.

These are the lines we have wanted (as Pens fans) since acquiring Iginla; and now that we have them ... Look out.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Expert

It was Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis in the first period and then Bylsma changed it to Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla and put Kunitz in the second line with Malkin and Neal.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis4022 View Post
    It was Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis in the first period and then Bylsma changed it to Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla and put Kunitz in the second line with Malkin and Neal.
    Did u read the opening post?
    24 Team Dynasty, H2H , NHL Salaries & Cap 94M$.
    3C , 3R , 3L, 4D, 1SKT, 2G , 4B , 5Farm
    G,A,SPT,HT,BLK,SHOTS,FOW... W,SV,SV%,GAA

C: E.Kuznetsov. B.Neilson, B.Hayton
    LW: J.Huberdeau, J.Kyrou, D.Heinen
    RW: J.Virtanen, V.Hinostraza, E.Tolvanen
    D: C.Makar, T.Chabot, M.Dumba, M.Matheson,
    SKT:C.Sissons
    G: B.Bishop, A.Raanta
    B: A.Anisimov, C.Fischer, T.Pitlick, A.Martinez, N.Zaitsev
    Farm: V.Kravtsov, J.Gauthier, R.Lavoie, I.Konovalov, M.Berdin

2021 picks: 2/1'st , 3/2nd's

The Great One

I think Kunitz started with Crosby and dupuis in the first period.

Dobber Sports Ninja

No need to think or speculate who started/played with who.

I encourage you all to use the tool - it is incredible.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    Yeah, these lines have been a long time coming. Crosby and Iginla are friends, they're comfortable with each other, and they are both more so North/South type skill players. Not to mention the fact that Iginla gets to play his natural RW with Crosby as opposed to the left side predominantly with Malkin.

As an off-shoot, it's not just about Iginla and Crosby working very well together -- it's also about Malkin/Neal being effective together on the "second" line. While Iginla was on that line Malkin seems less effective, searching for Iginla (playing his off-wing) instead of just allowing the plays to develop with James Neal. Chris Kunitz -- an incredibly versatile forward for this team for a long time -- not only understands how to play with Malkin/Neal VERY effectively, he also plays the LW naturally. We all know that Kunitz-Malkin-Neal was a pretty effective line all 2011-12, so if Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla can find some chemistry this Penguins team is going to be seriously deadly.

These are the lines we have wanted (as Pens fans) since acquiring Iginla; and now that we have them ... Look out.
    Yup, this was what I envisioned as well when the talks of Iggy going to Pittsburgh first surfaced. I think it makes perfect sense too... Kunitz is amazing with Crosby but people tend to forget last year he had incredible chemistry with Malkin and Neal as well. Crosby and Iggy have history, and they looked good last night (from the highlights I saw). These two lines give Bylsma the best of both worlds... Malkin + Iggy were doing "OK" so far this series, but I just don't think the combo of Malkin/Iggy/Neal fully maximizes their individual potential - probably for the reasons you outlined above in terms of playing in their natural positions.

I really hope this sticks... With my Neal/Iggy combo I'll be able to fully ride both Crosby AND Malkin's coat tails to the championship despite getting the last pick in my playoff draft. That duo should put me over the top of the guys who actually drafted Crosby, Malkin and some third-liners if the Penguins make it to the finals.
    Last edited by blayze; May 10, 2013 at 3:01 PM.

The Great One

Haha I was joking and just going along with the thread but yeah I've used that tool for a long time. Even posted about it.

The Great One

Dobber Sports Ninja

Well that didn't last very long.

Crosby was back on his old line with Kunitz and Dupuis as of the third period last game.