22. You may not vote on this poll
  • C.Ward

9 40.91%
  • S.Bobrovsky

13 59.09%

Thread: Mid to Long term keeper... goalie

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Mid to Long term keeper... goalie

Well when the season started I was thinking for sure Ward over Bobrovtree but now I'm not so sure. CBJ have been playing really well, and just added gabby so I'm on the fence.

Wins 2 /SO 5/ OTL 1
    ***2014/2017 Points only League Champion***
    Our league is a 10 team, 12 player keeper. Weekly H2H
    Points only. Dress - 4 LW 4 C 4 RW 6 D 2 G
    Weight - G= 2 A= 1 Hatty =3 W = 2 So=3 OTL=1
    Keepers - Giroux, Ovechkin, Backstrom(C), Tarasenko, Malkin, Wheeler, -- Weber, Suter, Pietrangelo -- Rask, Schneider, Talbot

Dobber Sports Expert

Man this is so tough, Bobs has been good, but I would like to see real strong play over a full season. I am not sold on this season of him. Sure his stats are great, but he had great stats in Philly at one point and then was just awful. I respect riding the hot hand but long term, I think Carolina gets better and Ward helps..
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

agree. not sold on Bobrovsky long term

Dobber Sports Deity

Tough call. If you had asked this question at the start of this season, you probably would have been ridiculed. Today, I'm not so sure.

I knew once JD took over the reins in CBJ that the winds of change would start blowing. I didnt expect it to happen quite this quickly. I can only see this team improving and Bobrovsky should be the recepient of that growing trend.

That being said, you cant forget what Cam Ward has done. Going into this season, he would have been on my list of top 10 goalies in the league.

For me, I'd say Cam Ward would be my choice until I see more from Bobrovsky.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

Still going with the proven here and taking Ward with the caveat that I could end up being absolutely 100% wrong on this.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    Still going with the proven here and taking Ward with the caveat that I could end up being absolutely 100% wrong on this.
    Im sure Bob-o will read this and make us all pay for being non-believers. or non-boblievers. lol
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.

Dobber Sports Ace

I'd prefer he gets resigned in Colunbus but I'd go for broke and keep Bob. He has a pretty high rating in other hockey sites such as HF so his breakout may not be a fluke. I'm a big fan of the new management team in CLB and I feel they will be a force in a couple of years.
    12 team Rotisserie league (No positional requirements: 7 Keepers of which 2 must be Farm eligible).
    Active Roster consists of: 6 FW, 4 D, 2 G and 6 Bench.
    Scoring Cats: G (10x), A (10x), SOG (10x), HT (10x), BS (10x), PIM (10x), TK (10x), +/- (5x); W (10x), SV (10x), SO (5x)

FW: ​Draisaitl, Pastrnak, Keller, Jarvis, Barbashev, Kyrou, Raymond
    D: Dobson, Nurse, Sergachev, Andersson, Zadorov, York
    G: Oettinger, Raanta, Copley, Vejmelka
    IR: Hamilton
    Farm (165 games for F/D and 100 games for G): Wolf, Fantilli

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by MJFP View Post
    Well when the season started I was thinking for sure Ward over Bobrovtree but now I'm not so sure. CBJ have been playing really well, and just added gabby so I'm on the fence.

Wins 2 /SO 5/ OTL 1
    Wards usually very popular because he gets so many starts, but Carolina hasn't been good for years (even after adding J.Staal/Semin). The team is terrible defensively, plus you don't reward saves.

Think with Davidson in charge, Columbus might start becoming STL light, playing a gritty defensive game. That might help Bobrovsky pickup more SHOs if he resigns, and seems like they aren't afraid of starting him lots.

I've benched Bob for 2 rounds in my playoffs for Niemi and Rask because wasn't sure of him, but he's putting up arguably better stats (especially over Rask).
    Last edited by cdubb; April 20, 2013 at 8:15 PM.
    Semi-retired

Dobber Sports Veteran

I've been asking myself this question for the past month now and still don't really know the answer.

My league counts GAA and SV% which makes the choice even more difficult.

Here are some questions I've been asking myself. What brand of hockey does each team play? Carolina plays a high octane game that is not very structured defensively. Yes, Ward is good, but this makes his stats very inconsistent. Columbus plays a tight defensive game. They don't get a lot of goals, but they sure as heck don't allow a lot either.

What D-men are in the pipeline for each team? Carolina has Justin Faulk as an up and comer and also... well, that's it. Sorry, Ryan Murray is all offense. Their D sucks, it has for some time and there is no evidence of it getting better on the horizon. Columbus' strength is D-depth in their system. They have Ryan Murray and Tim Erixon in the pipeline, Jack Johnson as well as Nikitin, the reliable Aucoin and Tyutin, and up and comers Prout and Savard. It's the opposite of Carolina. Their only weak link defensively is Wiz.

History is the final thing I thought about. Cam Ward has a great history of being a workhorse #1 in the NHL. However, his GAA (albeit a team stat) has been his consistently worst stat. He was starting to turn it around right before he got hurt. How much does Carolina need Ward? Well, a lot but look at Peters and Ellis' stats. They're not that far off from Ward's stats before he got hurt. Maybe that tells us something about Carolina. Oh yeah, I already said it, they suck defensively and are moving to a tougher conference (just like Columbus).

Continuing on history... Bobrovsky doesn't have the Conn Smythe NHL winning history Cam Ward has, but he had a phenomenal rookie year (better than Ward's first few seasons in the NHL!). I think a lot can be attributed to Bob's crappy sophomore year is the signing of Bryzgalov. After being the #1 a year ago he was relegated to being the backup. It messed with his head, it would mess with any young goalies head, especially after a good rookie year and being in Philly kills goalies. I encourage you to check out Bob's KHL stats. They're not too far behind Varly's. He's been working with the Columbus goalie coach and getting so much better each game. Even the goalie coach praised his talent and work ethic.

Cam Ward might be a great goalie but the team system the goalie plays in counts for a lot. Fantasy hockey is risk/reward. Cam Ward COULD be Vezina candidate in a system like Nashville or St. Louis... but I don't see that happening in Carolina in the forseeable future which means inconsistent stats. Bob is a younger, up and coming goalie playing in a defensive system. If Brian Elliott can put up stats on a team like St. Louis. Bob will be a top 10, maybe even top 5 goalie for a long time.

Take a chance on Bob. I think I am.
    Last edited by Veritas0Aequitas; April 20, 2013 at 10:09 PM.
    Yahoo 1 Year Leagues:
    G, A, PIM, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 4Bn, 1IR

Dobber Sports Recruit

I'm in a similar situation. I have Bobrovsky and Carey Price. Price is probably a no-brainer but I might be in cap trouble next year so I'm tempted to keep Bob instead. Am I crazy to be even contemplating it?
    16 teams, Weekly H2H Roto, Keep 10, NHL salary cap, Start each week : 9 F, 4D ,1G
    Scoring Cats
    G ,A,PIM,STP,SOG,GWG,Ht+Blk,FOW,Wins,SV%, GAA
    F > Benn, Getzlaf, M Koivu, P Kane, L Eriksson, Parise, M Cullen, G Boyd, N Thompson
    D > J Carlson, Letang, J Faulk, Voynov, Brodin
    G > Price, Bobrovsky
    Farm > Atkinson, Bjugstad, Coyle, Granlund, Huberdeau, Hamilton, Lehner

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Bobvrosky is intriguing here but you cannot go against Ward and his proven ability over several FULL seasons.

Thanks for the insight guys, I think I'm gonna go with my gut and take a chance on Bob. Package Ward with Skinner and/or Enstrom to try and get a premier forward.
    ***2014/2017 Points only League Champion***
    Our league is a 10 team, 12 player keeper. Weekly H2H
    Points only. Dress - 4 LW 4 C 4 RW 6 D 2 G
    Weight - G= 2 A= 1 Hatty =3 W = 2 So=3 OTL=1
    Keepers - Giroux, Ovechkin, Backstrom(C), Tarasenko, Malkin, Wheeler, -- Weber, Suter, Pietrangelo -- Rask, Schneider, Talbot

Quote Originally Posted by Cunning Linguist View Post
    I'm in a similar situation. I have Bobrovsky and Carey Price. Price is probably a no-brainer but I might be in cap trouble next year so I'm tempted to keep Bob instead. Am I crazy to be even contemplating it?
    Is Price a no brainer?? I drafted him and Rask in my league as my 1-2 punch for the next decade. But I have had Price on the bench on favor of Bobrovsky as of late. I like Price a lot but his numbers have never been elite, go look them up I will wait. As for the question at hand, I prefer Bobs to Ward. There are countless Ward apologists on this site, its amazing. He has always had ok numbers never great. He is a 2nd Goalie in fantasy for me and I would never draft him as that even. Everyone always says go with the proven guy blah blah blah, I say FU(K that, FORTUNE FAVORS THE BOLD!!! I would hold onto Bobs!!!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by joeygmoney View Post
    Is Price a no brainer?? I drafted him and Rask in my league as my 1-2 punch for the next decade. But I have had Price on the bench on favor of Bobrovsky as of late. I like Price a lot but his numbers have never been elite, go look them up I will wait. As for the question at hand, I prefer Bobs to Ward. There are countless Ward apologists on this site, its amazing. He has always had ok numbers never great. He is a 2nd Goalie in fantasy for me and I would never draft him as that even. Everyone always says go with the proven guy blah blah blah, I say FU(K that, FORTUNE FAVORS THE BOLD!!! I would hold onto Bobs!!!
    Well said, sir!
    Yahoo 1 Year Leagues:
    G, A, PIM, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 4Bn, 1IR