Thread: 1yr H2H strategy using Dobber Guide

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default 1yr H2H strategy using Dobber Guide

The draft for my 1 yr H2H Yahoo league is tonight. Last year was my first year with fantasy hockey and I did well but I feel like my draft is where I really screwed myself.

I'm in a 8-team Yahoo H2H where the settings/categories are as follows:

C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, F, D, D, D, Util, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR

G, A, Pts, +/-, PIM, PPG, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, W, GA, SV, SV%, SHO

I need some help on what my strategy should be going into this draft. I picked up the Dobber Hockey Guide and I have based my ranking largely on the Dobber Draft Guide. It seems to me the guide was centered on the league being a roto league with keepers, which my league is not.

*I won't divulge the rankings as they are premium content that DobberHockey charges for and I highly recommend.*

Should I still use the guide for my rankings or should I look somewhere else? It seems like the Yahoo rankings are still way off in my book.

My strategy right now will be to take top forwards until the goalie wave hits. I don't want to waste a top pick on a goalie being that this is an 8 team league and good goalies will be available later. I also think some of the top goalies with solid backups will see more games off this season due to the schedule. As for defensemen, I don't want to waste a high pick on a defensemen when solid forwards are still available. I figure I'll load up on decent Dmen later on that have solid +/- and are involved in the PP.

Am I way off the mark here? any suggestions will be repped and greatly appreciated.

Thanks fellas

Dobber Sports Demi-God

In an 8-team league with a 10/5 category split you should not need (or feel like) to get a goalie in the early rounds.

You have 8 forwards slots (your Util should be an F) and only 3 defense.

If this was me, I'd draft my first 8 rounds as 7F/1G.
    If you can get Erik Karlsson in the 3rd or 4th round, I'd take him. Not in the first two rounds (top 16 picks).

LOAD UP on premium forwards, mostly shooter/goalscorers because of PPG/GWG as categories.

Here's some notes on quantities:
    8x8F = 64F in play. #2F had 97pts and the #65F scored 57pts. That's a 40pt spread. #1 Malkin has 109pts... a +52.

8x3D = 24D in play. #2D had 53pts and the #25D scored 37pts. That's a 16pt spread. #1 Karlsson had 78pts... a +41.

This difference in spreads is why you want to go with the premium forwards.
    Forwards are also going to score a larger % of goals... and you want goal-scorers.

8x2G = 16G in play. #1G had 43wins, #17G had 30wins. 13 win spread, not huge.

Unless you can nab Karlsson in round 3 or 4, you should be drafting F,F,F,F,F,F.
    There are lots of decent #1 goalies in the 12-20 range (Niemi, Kipper, Hiller, Varlamov, Pavelec, Anderson, Nabokov, all decent options IMO).

If this is a daily-start league, I'd probably try to draft 4 goalies with two from the following WEST COAST teams (ANA, CGY, COL, CHI). Those teams have significant off-night schedules and you will have very little conflicts with your other two goalies. This will allow you to get a TON of starts & really high W,SV,SO counts.

If you follow this strategy, I guarantee you finish top 4 regular season.
    H2H playoffs, on the other hand, are a big crapshoot...

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    In an 8-team league with a 10/5 category split you should not need (or feel like) to get a goalie in the early rounds.

If you can get Erik Karlsson in the 3rd or 4th round, I'd take him. Not in the first two rounds (top 16 picks).

LOAD UP on premium forwards, mostly shooter/goalscorers because of PPG/GWG as categories.

8x8F = 64F in play. #2F had 97pts and the #65F scored 57pts. That's a 40pt spread. #1 Malkin has 109pts... a +52.

8x3D = 24D in play. #2D had 53pts and the #25D scored 37pts. That's a 16pt spread. #1 Karlsson had 78pts... a +41.

Forwards are also going to score a larger % of goals... and you want goal-scorers.

Unless you can nab Karlsson in round 3 or 4, you should be drafting F,F,F,F,F,F.
    There are lots of decent #1 goalies in the 12-20 range (Niemi, Kipper, Hiller, Varlamov, Pavelec, Anderson, Nabokov, all decent options IMO).

If this is a daily-start league, I'd probably try to draft 4 goalies with two from the following WEST COAST teams (ANA, CGY, COL, CHI). Those teams have significant off-night schedules and you will have very little conflicts with your other two goalies. This will allow you to get a TON of starts & really high W,SV,SO counts.

Thanks for the detailed response. I'll take that advice when heading into my draft. I apprecaite the help. Repped.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Ok, so just found out our league has added two members and is now a 10 team daily H2H. I know goalies become more valuable now, but does my strategy change that much? Obviously I need to watch goalies more, but beyond that?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

No... it doesn't change hugely.

Always know, in any league, that there are 30 #1 goalies.
    There are also usually 3-5 back-ups that play significantly. (VAN, WAS, etc.)

If 10 teams each need 2 goalies... that's 20G taken.
    If you don't include your team... that's 18G taken.

Here's what you do:
    1. Make a list, write down all the goalies in order of how you like them. It won't take that long.

2. Make another list as soon as you know your draft order. Write the teams down in their draft positions. As they are drafted, write the goalie in the team slot AND write the team drafting them next to the goalie's names on your goalie list. TWO LISTS: This is important. Remember, the magic number is 18. Each team is going to take two goalies and then probably wait a bit before they take their 3rd. Look at #19, #20 on your list... if you can live with those guys (I can!) then you might as well draft them really, really late (say 8th, 9th round).

3. If you can't live with those #19 & #20 goalies... then you'll use the DRAFT ORDER sheet to anticipate which teams will take goalies and how many could possibly be taken before your next pick. This sounds like tough work... and it is... but mastering it allows you to take what-you-consider serviceable-goalies, as late as possible. I did this in all my leagues this year... nabbing the very last of the #1 goalies that will still start several games.

Good luck.

Dobber Sports Guru

Wow, Pengwin7 has you covered man! Trust me I followed a lot of his advice last summer and won the regular season and playoffs of my multicat H2H league. I definitely agree to wait on the goalies and stock up on goal scoring forwards.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

No... it doesn't change hugely.

Always know, in any league, that there are 30 #1 goalies.
    There are also usually 3-5 back-ups that play significantly. (VAN, WAS, etc.)

If 10 teams each need 2 goalies... that's 20G taken.
    If you don't include your team... that's 18G taken.

Here's what you do:
    1. Make a list, write down all the goalies in order of how you like them. It won't take that long.

2. Make another list as soon as you know your draft order. Write the teams down in their draft positions. As they are drafted, write the goalie in the team slot AND write the team drafting them next to the goalie's names on your goalie list. TWO LISTS: This is important. Remember, the magic number is 18. Each team is going to take two goalies and then probably wait a bit before they take their 3rd. Look at #19, #20 on your list... if you can live with those guys (I can!) then you might as well draft them really, really late (say 8th, 9th round).

3. If you can't live with those #19 & #20 goalies... then you'll use the DRAFT ORDER sheet to anticipate which teams will take goalies and how many could possibly be taken before your next pick. This sounds like tough work... and it is... but mastering it allows you to take what-you-consider serviceable-goalies, as late as possible. I did this in all my leagues this year... nabbing the very last of the #1 goalies that will still start several games.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the advice! It helped tremendously. I stuck to my rankings and I was able to get some late steals. I didn't grab a goalie until the 8th rd. So here are the results of me following your advice, let me know what you think:

10 team Yahoo H2H, cats can be found in the 1st post.

1. (6) Tavares
    2. (15) Kessel
    3. (26) H. Sedin
    4. (35) Eberle
    5. (46) N. Backstrom
    6. (55) Eriksson
    7. (66) Pavelski
    8. (75) Hiller
    9. (86) J. Staal
    10. (95) Max Pac
    11. (106) Jack Johnson
    12. (115) Matt Carle
    13. (126) Blake Wheeler
    14. (135) Niemi
    15. (146) Lindback
    16. (155) Wideman
    17. (166) Goligoski

Our FA is pretty loaded also, so if you think I should dump any of my D-men for a FA let me know. Any/all feedback is appreciated. How'd I do?

Dobber Sports Ace

post up the top couple FA's to give everyone an idea of what else is out there
    12 Team, One year, Points only - G,A,PPG,SHG, no positional restrictions
    2 points goalie W, 2 points goalie SHO, -.5 goalie loss, start 1 goalie per night
    Hughes, Panarin, Connor, Konecny, Terry, Necas, Gaudreau, Schmaltz, Nichushkin, Zacha
    Makar, Hedman, Andersson, DeAngelo
    Gustavsson, Talbot

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Notable FA:

FW: Versteeg, Cammalleri, Horton, Stewart, Hornqvist, Voracek, Stepan, Doan, O'Riley, Descharnais, Erat, Granlund, Roy, Havlat

DEF: Myers, Wisniewski, Markov, Pitkanen, Zidlicky, Fowler, Kulikov, Bogosian

G: Backstrom

Those are the only ones that stand out.

Dobber Sports Wizard

absolutely love where you grabbed sedin and backstrom

your goaltending is nice considering how late you drafted it just like penguin said it would be

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeSince86 View Post
    Notable FA:

FW: Versteeg, Cammalleri, Horton, Stewart, Hornqvist, Voracek, Stepan, Doan, O'Riley, Descharnais, Erat, Granlund, Roy, Havlat

Just noticed that Garrison, OEL, and Carlson are all available also. Do any of them improve my defense?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Notable FA:

Not Backstrom (MIN). I checked your goalie conflicts and you'd only be able to get 14/48 starts from a 4th goalie... so it's not worth it. Too many conflicts with your ANA/SJ/TB trio. (which are fantastic based on where you drafted them!!!). In 14-team leagues, guys like Niemi & Hiller go in the 30-50 draft position range!!!

Your bench as 3F, 1D is probably the right allocation considering you'll start 8F,3D.

I like your players... though I may consider swapping out Wideman for one of Wisniewski or Markov. Not yet, watch training camps for a bit and check back in nearer to Saturday (start of season).

You will love this team - it will do great for you!!!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Not Backstrom (MIN). I checked your goalie conflicts and you'd only be able to get 14/48 starts from a 4th goalie... so it's not worth it. Too many conflicts with your ANA/SJ/TB trio. (which are fantastic based on where you drafted them!!!). In 14-team leagues, guys like Niemi & Hiller go in the 30-50 draft position range!!!

Your bench as 3F, 1D is probably the right allocation considering you'll start 8F,3D.

I like your players... though I may consider swapping out Wideman for one of Wisniewski or Markov. Not yet, watch training camps for a bit and check back in nearer to Saturday (start of season).

You will love this team - it will do great for you!!!
    Yeah, I thought about drafting Wisniewski ahead of Wideman but I was put off due to the fact that I have Johnson already. I figured having both could wreak havoc on my +/-.

Do you think that Garrison, OEL, or Carlson would be an improvement over Wideman?

The Wolverine

Yeah, I thought about drafting Wisniewski ahead of Wideman but I was put off due to the fact that I have Johnson already. I figured having both could wreak havoc on my +/-.

Do you think that Garrison, OEL, or Carlson would be an improvement over Wideman?
    Just my quick opinion but I would wait and see what happens with the Flames PP before you make a move. Wideman could be the top guy, which the same cannot be said of the others you are considering. With guys like that available, no point rushing a decision that you may regret once the season actually begins.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Just my quick opinion but I would wait and see what happens with the Flames PP before you make a move. Wideman could be the top guy, which the same cannot be said of the others you are considering. With guys like that available, no point rushing a decision that you may regret once the season actually begins.
    Good advice. I'm going to hold pat until this weekend and see how things shake out.
    Team1 - 12 Team Yahoo Daily H2H Cash League
    C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, D, D, D, D, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR+, IR+
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, Hits, W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    -
    C: McDavid, Scheifele, Larkin
    LW: Huberdeau, Hoffman, Guentzel
    RW: Fiala, Gusev
    D: Hughes, Yandle, Toews, Ristolainen, DeAngelo
    G: Andersen, Koskinen, Sorokin

Team2 - 12 Team Yahoo Daily H2H Cash League
    C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, D, D, D, D, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR+, IR+
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, Hits, W, GAA, SV%, SHO