Thread: Trade advice needed

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Trade advice needed

I'm in a bind with injuries in my salary cap dynasty league. Have Kipper and Gustavsson both on the shelf, and so no active goalies. We have a one start minimum so even though Kipper went down I was covered last week. Now that Kipper is gone for two weeks I'm in trouble here. Waiver wire is picked clean, only Chris Mason and Marty Biron available, but no guarantees they will poach even one start a week to cover my minimum. Coming here for advice is highly unusual since this is the UHL and it is 100% dobber forum regulars so there are no secrets by doing this.

Before I go any further here's the context. I didn't include skaters since that is quite a long list, 40+ names. If you guys want I can add that, but I'm mostly looking for some general thoughts.

W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO

Kipper, Gustavsson, Lack, Tokarski, M.Jones, Driedger, Whitney

Here's the ones that intrigue me most

Brodeur or Griess for at least one good prospect +

Backstrom for Kipper

Nabokov for Gus +

For the price I'm not really considering Brodeur. I'm not a playoff team and he's likely done after next season so he doesn't really fit given having to move young guys for a short term gain. If I was a contender that would be a whole other story. Griess on the other hand is interesting, some potential if he could get out from behind Niemi. In the meantime can he really be counted on to get at least one start a week? No sense trading for him if he can't help me there.

Nabby has more tread on the tires than does Marty and can more easily bridge the gap to my farm goalies. Does suck to move Gus as I'm with Goldman that the change of scenery may be what it takes to get him right. Might not either, but seems like a good fit and a good gamble.

That brings me to the Backstrom offer. This one is the most interesting. Skill wise he's not a huge step down from Kipper. We all know the downside, he's a BAB whereas until now Kipper has been a rock. Neither one is going to be a starter that much longer. Three, maybe four years for Backs and four sounds right for Kipper. I still feel that a + is needed for Kipper. Maybe a good goalie prospect or skater upgrade?

In my mind it comes down to either Backs or Griess, with Nabby a possibility if all else fails. What say you?
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    I'm in a bind with injuries in my salary cap dynasty league.
    I'm not a playoff team and he's likely done after next season so he doesn't really fit given having to move young guys for a short term gain. If I was a contender that would be a whole other story. No sense trading for him if he can't help me there.
    I edited your post to only include the above-mentioned.

I also looked up abit on the UHL and found this post by you in the first few pages:

"I entered the draft willing to sacrifice competing for the first couple of years to build a team like this one. "

Has your idea changed since then?

If not, then what you have to do to win in the next few years might not be all that popular and I would also hate to do it, but I hear this upcoming draft is supposed to be pretty damn good.

Something to think about anyway.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Backstrom for me regardless of the injury risk. He's going to get his starts and if you're giving up Kipper for him, the extra throw in shouldn't be too expensive. If he's available, you should look into storing Kari Ramo somewhere before he shows up to replace Kipper.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Nehithaw View Post
    I edited your post to only include the above-mentioned.

I also looked up abit on the UHL and found this post by you in the first few pages:

"I entered the draft willing to sacrifice competing for the first couple of years to build a team like this one. "

Has your idea changed since then?

If not, then what you have to do to win in the next few years might not be all that popular and I would also hate to do it, but I hear this upcoming draft is supposed to be pretty damn good.

Something to think about anyway.
    I have altered my strategy. I had to step down before the inaugural season due to work conflicts. Shakedown took over for a while and went his way with the strategy. Since Shake accelerated things I'm a bit closer to contention and have a slightly different team makeup. Now that I'm back, I've gotten more aggressive with the trades and trying to follow the path he set rather than trying to re-establish what I was doing back then.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'd much rather pay Gustavsson+ for Nabokov as a short-term gap plugger, and he can provide decent starts. It's a more appealing situation than paying Kiprusoff for Backstrom or trading for Brodeur (because dyz owns him) or Greiss (because dyz also owns him I think)

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by gainerama View Post
    Backstrom for me regardless of the injury risk. He's going to get his starts and if you're giving up Kipper for him, the extra throw in shouldn't be too expensive. If he's available, you should look into storing Kari Ramo somewhere before he shows up to replace Kipper.
    Pretty much any goalie, well prospect in general, that has even the tiniest upside is owned. We run very deep farm rosters, 27 man x's 24 teams. But it does make for a very active trade environment.

But yeah Backs, isn't chopped liver, the only thing that concerns me is his BAB membership. More trades can help address that concern though.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    I'd much rather pay Gustavsson+ for Nabokov as a short-term gap plugger, and he can provide decent starts. It's a more appealing situation than paying Kiprusoff for Backstrom or trading for Brodeur (because dyz owns him) or Greiss (because dyz also owns him I think)
    You do realize that given it's you saying that, the natural reaction is to run the other way. Had to break your balls bondon. I do appreciate your input though.

I'm getting ready to head out for work so I'll check back in the morning to see what others have had to say. Feel free to chime in. Rep for any thoughts.

Dobber Sports Genius

Because you are in a bad situation and everyone knows it you will propbably have to over pay to get a goalie. In this rare case I would target the goalie that you can get the cheapest and just wait until your main guys come back from injury.
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf