Thread: Muzzin Wiercioch

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Muzzin Wiercioch

What do you think the upside is for these guys? I get that I should maybe not jump the gun in thinking just cuz Muzzin is gettin PP1 ahead of Doughty, and the fact that he's pretty low on the depth chart. Wiercioch seems like a solid D, he's getting plenty of ice time, but will it continue once the Sens are in full force?

I gotta pick one from the waver wire.
    Dynasty 12-Keeper League 27-player roster.. Most points at end of season. Must drop 5 at end and then draft 5.

Rosters: 17 Fwd, 7 D, 3 G
    Player: G A +/- PIM PPG SHG GWG PPA SHA
    Goalie: W OTL SOL SO

FWD: Datsyuk, Parise, Kessel, Kesler, Stepan, Saad, Lehtera, Spezza, Dubinsky, Franzen, Dupuis, Parenteau, Moulson, Chiasson, Soderberg, Eriksson, Hoffman, Kuznetsov

D: Karlsson, Giordano, Yandle, Edler, Josi, Schultz

G: Lehtonen, Anderson, Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Wiercioch, 40-50 PP QB upside and possibly more.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by dmvincent View Post
    What do you think his role will be when Karlsson returns? Seems like they are playing the same position on the PP, so will he get bumped to PP2 or replace Gonchar on the other side?
    14 Team Dynasty League
    5 C's, 8 W's, 5 D's, 2G's - 3 Prospects.

Scoring
    F: Goals(3) Assists(2)
    D: Goals(4) Assist(3)
    G: W(3) Saves(0.15) Goal Against(-0.75) Shutout(2)

C: Datsyuk, Grabovski, Backstrom, Bergeron, Bozak
    W: Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, P Kane, Hall, Sharp, Kessel, Nash, Silfverberg
    D: Enstrom, Letang, Kronwall, Faulk, Chara
    G: Miller, Price

IR:
    Prospects: Galchenyuk, Nyquist, Shore

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by ynotzz View Post
    What do you think his role will be when Karlsson returns? Seems like they are playing the same position on the PP, so will he get bumped to PP2 or replace Gonchar on the other side?
    If he continues to play so well, he could find himself on the number one unit even when Karlsson is back next year.

We'll see though, there's a lot to like with this kid.

Dobber Sports Initiate

thanks. Considering to make a 2v1 or 3v1 trade to make room for him.
    14 Team Dynasty League
    5 C's, 8 W's, 5 D's, 2G's - 3 Prospects.

Scoring
    F: Goals(3) Assists(2)
    D: Goals(4) Assist(3)
    G: W(3) Saves(0.15) Goal Against(-0.75) Shutout(2)

C: Datsyuk, Grabovski, Backstrom, Bergeron, Bozak
    W: Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, P Kane, Hall, Sharp, Kessel, Nash, Silfverberg
    D: Enstrom, Letang, Kronwall, Faulk, Chara
    G: Miller, Price

IR:
    Prospects: Galchenyuk, Nyquist, Shore

Dobber Sports Ace

I'm not sure either will evolve into keeper studs. Both are worth a pick-up in the short term while they're hot and sitting pretty in their respective lineups with Gonchar/Doughty, but I wouldn't expect him to keep this pace for the rest of the year, let alone through their career. Neither seems to have much of an offensive upside from looking at his career stats to date. Muzzin put up good numbers as an overager in junior, and Wiercioch has scored 10 goals in the AHL already, but otherwise there doesn't seem to be consistently high offensive output at any level.

Quote Originally Posted by dmvincent View Post
    You think so? What gives you that impression? Ottawa's system is more geared for including their defense as they're used to Karlsson being involved in the offense. But Muzzin is producing on a blueline that's missing a shutdown guy in Mitchell, but otherwise may have room for him going forward. I think Wiercioch's long term production fades from a keeper perspective as soon as Karlsson returns to the lineup, unless he's defensively responsible enough to usurp Methot and play alongside Karlsson.

The Great One

I don't get the hype for Muzzin. He's never put up decent points at any level before. He's been on a bit of a hot streak the last dozen games or so, but no one should be overvaluing him. He might be real (stranger things have happened), but more likely than not he will fade away and no one will be remembering much about him next year and beyond.

Wiercioch, on the other hand, has been highly-touted for a while now and I don't see the Sens giving up on him. He could be a sensational pairing with Karlsson on the PP for years to come.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I don't get the hype for Muzzin. He's never put up decent points at any level before. He's been on a bit of a hot streak the last dozen games or so, but no one should be overvaluing him. He might be real (stranger things have happened), but more likely than not he will fade away and no one will be remembering much about him next year and beyond.

Wiercioch, on the other hand, has been highly-touted for a while now and I don't see the Sens giving up on him. He could be a sensational pairing with Karlsson on the PP for years to come.
    Where has he been touted? I'd like to read more about him.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by kbro View Post
    Where has he been touted? I'd like to read more about him.
    I don't have any links I can send you, but leading up to his draft year he was someone with 1st round potential (ended up going in the 2nd round), and he played well in the NCAA. Anyone who followed the NCAA and the 2008 draft, and his play in the AHL with Binghamtom (he was part of the Calder Cup winning team) knew he had potential.

I'm not saying Wiercioch is a guaranteed NHL star, but he has the frame, potential, and (more importantly) opportunity that I don't think Muzzin has.

EDIT: If you do want to read more about him, I'm sure there is some info in Dobber's prospect guide and I have no doubt you can find threads about him over at HFBoards. Dmen who come out of no where, like Muzzin has done in the last dozen games, concern me. We have seen many players string together some short-term success and then disappear. Muzzin may be the exception and keep this run going, but when you examine his career numbers and consider that LA already has Doughty and Voynov, I don't like Muzzin's chances of continuing to hold fantasy value.
    Last edited by SeaDawg; March 20, 2013 at 2:50 PM.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by kbro View Post
    I'm not sure either will evolve into keeper studs. Both are worth a pick-up in the short term while they're hot and sitting pretty in their respective lineups with Gonchar/Doughty, but I wouldn't expect him to keep this pace for the rest of the year, let alone through their career. Neither seems to have much of an offensive upside from looking at his career stats to date. Muzzin put up good numbers as an overager in junior, and Wiercioch has scored 10 goals in the AHL already, but otherwise there doesn't seem to be consistently high offensive output at any level.

You think so? What gives you that impression? Ottawa's system is more geared for including their defense as they're used to Karlsson being involved in the offense. But Muzzin is producing on a blueline that's missing a shutdown guy in Mitchell, but otherwise may have room for him going forward. I think Wiercioch's long term production fades from a keeper perspective as soon as Karlsson returns to the lineup, unless he's defensively responsible enough to usurp Methot and play alongside Karlsson.
    I'm just stating facts, he has a lot of potential. Muzzin is not in the same class in terms of potential, not even remotely close. Yes, there are some question marks with him like there are for any young player, but the Sens are very high on this kid.