Thread: Who are my "young keepers"?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Who are my "young keepers"?

I am currently in second with a decent chance to win this year. In our league (details in signature) we each keep 3 players who have 164 games or less experience (100 for goalies). I have quite a few good players on my roster who could potentially fulfill this role. I'm hoping to trade a few to improve my core 12 this year, but so far nothing has panned out.

I'm hoping to get some rankings from you all to help me narrow down who to keep. Think 3 year window, but if someone is a longer term keeper feel free to point that out. Before the season started I thought the 3 would likely be Schenn, Tarasenko and Granlund, but Conacher has burst out of the gate, Brunner has impressed, and as a Senators fan Zibanejad has a chance to crack the top 3 because I do have a bit of a homer bias. Here are my options:

Tarasenko RW
    Granlund C
    Schenn, Brayden C/LW
    Conacher LW/C
    Brunner RW/C
    Atkinson RW
    Schneider G
    Zibanejad C

I'm anticipating many of you will rank Schneider highly, but keep in mind that in a 10 team league that starts only 1 goalie and counts only wins and SO, good goalies are always available.

I know there have been other threads about Tank, Granlund and Conacher, but nothing that compares them to Schenn.

Thanks in advance everyone. Answers that include good reasoning will be repped.

-A
    Last edited by Achilles; February 4, 2013 at 1:57 PM.
    10-team Keeper. Everyone keeps 12 + 1 G + 3 "young keepers" (players with less than 164 NHL games played), and 1G. Points for G (2), A (2), PIM (.2), Hit (.2), Blk (.2) SHP(1), W(4), SO(8) Must dress 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G

C - Crosby, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Eichel, Johansen
    LW - E. Kane, Drouin, Schenn, Miller, Foligno, Zucker
    RW - Wheeler, Stone, Lindholm, Oshie, Tolvanen
    D - Karlsson, Carlson, Dumba, Nurse, Ceci, Pionk, Larsson, Montour
    G - Murray, Quick, Koskinen, Blackwood, Georgiev

Minors - Turcotte, Bouchard, Kaprizov

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'm not sure I can fully provide sound reasoning, but my three would be Tarasenko, Granlund, and Conacher and I didn't have to think that long. Tarasenko, based on his NHL body of work and how well he always did in the KHL. Conacher is proving that least years AHL rookie of the year and MVP wasn't a fluke good season by just proving himself. And Tampa's top 6 will have him in it always, probably replacing St. Louis once he retires. I personally have a lot of faith in Granlund. I know he started the year rough, but I think of everyone on your list he has the most talent, and has just had a tougher time adapting to the NHL. I have never been high on Schenn and I don't ever see me being high on Schenn, I think he has been overrated way to much since that world junior tournament. Brunner is always gonna rely on his linemates to boost his production which means for me his out, and Zibanejad to me is an after thought, he is way behind these 3

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
    I am currently in second with a decent chance to win this year. In our league (details in signature) we each keep 3 players who have 164 games or less experience (100 for goalies). I have quite a few good players on my roster who could potentially fulfill this role. I'm hoping to trade a few to improve my core 12 this year, but so far nothing has panned out.

I'm hoping to get some rankings from you all to help me narrow down who to keep. Think 3 year window, but if someone is a longer term keeper feel free to point that out. Before the season started I thought the 3 would likely be Schenn, Tarasenko and Granlund, but Conacher has burst out of the gate, Brunner has impressed, and as a Senators fan Zibanejad has a chance to crack the top 3 because I do have a bit of a homer bias. Here are my options:

Tarasenko RW
    Granlund C
    Schenn, Brayden C/LW
    Conacher LW/C
    Brunner RW/C
    Atkinson RW
    Schneider G

I'm anticipating many of you will rank Schneider highly, but keep in mind that in a 10 team league that starts only 1 goalie and counts only wins and SO, good goalies are always available.

I know there have been other threads about Tank, Granlund and Conacher, but nothing that compares them to Schenn.

Thanks in advance everyone. Answers that include good reasoning will be repped.

-A
    I like Granlund - C, Tarasenko - RW and Conacher - LW/C. I can understand Schenn's upside over Cory, but I like his Hockey IQ better than Schenn's. I think he has a greater chance of riding shot-gun to Stamkos than Schenn has of riding Giroux's wing. And I like his next couple years more than Brunner's. Does any of us know for how long Brunner stays in the states? Id he here for this one contract or longer?
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Initiate

Thanks gents, rep coming if I can. Follow up questioning: As of today, Conacher's trade value is high. He's the most likely candidate for a trade. How would you rank these players? Are Brunner and Z ahead of Schenn? Is Atkinson being forgotten because of injury?
    10-team Keeper. Everyone keeps 12 + 1 G + 3 "young keepers" (players with less than 164 NHL games played), and 1G. Points for G (2), A (2), PIM (.2), Hit (.2), Blk (.2) SHP(1), W(4), SO(8) Must dress 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
    Thanks gents, rep coming if I can. Follow up questioning: As of today, Conacher's trade value is high. He's the most likely candidate for a trade. How would you rank these players? Are Brunner and Z ahead of Schenn? Is Atkinson being forgotten because of injury?
    Z
    Brunner over Schenn in pts only and 1yr leagues.
    Schenn
    Atkinson
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by One87 View Post
    Z
    Brunner over Schenn in pts only and 1yr leagues.
    Schenn
    Atkinson
    Yea I agree with these

Dobber Sports Initiate

Anyone else?