Thread: Briere's value?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Briere's value?

I drafted Briere, but am now wishing I had that pick back. His wrist is an issue, apparently. But I am hearing that the Flyers might want to play him with Giroux and Hartnell. That would sure escalate his value. Anybody know if that's true? What do you think his value is? My hockeygeek spreadsheet didn't rate him terribly high when you figure in all the cats that we score. Part of the issue is that I loathe the Flyers. Should I hang on to him, or look to move him to a Flyers fan for a decent return?
    C: Kopitar, Jarvis (RW), Thomas
    RW: Wilson, Bratt (LW), Zuccarello, Svechnikov (LW)
    LW: B. Tkachuk, E.Kane, Boldy (RW)
    D: Matheson, Rielly, Dahlin, Burns
    G: Shesterkin, Vasilevskiy, Kochetkov
    IR+

10 Team H2H, one year, G, A, +/-, PPP, PIM, HIT, W, SVP, GAA, SV
    Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2Util, 2G

Dobber Sports Initiate

Hmm, I figured they would have put either Simmonds or Voracek on the top line with Giroux and Hartnell. To me it seems to make more sense to keep Briere as the second line center with whichever of Simmonds or Voracek doesn't stay on the top line.

The injury worries me too. He is somewhat injury prone, and already injured, so I'd move him to a flyer fan. He should still see a good amount of PP time though...
    12 Team H2H -
    Start 2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 3 UTIL, 3 G
    G, A, PPG, PPA, PIM, HIT - W, GAA, SV%, SO

C- Giroux (RW), Steen (LW), Ribeiro, Bjugstad, Hanzal
    LW- Tatar (RW), Kunitz, Dubinsky (C), Elias
    RW- Wheeler, Little (C), S Reinhart, Strome
    D- Byfuglien (RW), Doughty, Kronwall, Muzzin, Gostisbehere
    G- Quick, Allen, Enroth, McLehnney
    IR- Bobrovsky, Bjugstad, Gallagher

Dobber Sports Genius

I have him too and have had many different thoughts. You won't get much in return. Weigh that against his upside.

70/49
    77/68
    75/53
    29/25
    79/72
    81/95

(games played/points)

Okay, he misses a few games every year. He's not getting any younger. The point a game thing seems to have clearly come and gone. Hoping for a 60 point pace isn't ridiculous though. RW status is valuable. I've retained him because of RW status, upside and his low salary after this season. Well, and because he's not much for trade value.

Dobber Sports Stud

I think Briere's value ranges vastly, depending on things like how your league is set up and who the owners of the other teams are. I think he holds a strange value, that you simply can't pinpoint.

In terms of points only, that's when I like Briere, I still think he's a good player capable of putting up good secondary fantasy scoring. Should be Top 5 in points for the Flyers, if that means anything.

Dobber Sports Stud

I just had a Flyers fan accept a trade - Briere for Benn, even up. He's a moron. Before I accept it I'm going to wait 24 hours for a response to two other proposals involving Brierre that would net me either H-Sed or Stamkos, but both are unlikely. So I've unloaded him for real value!
    IR+

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by jimc21 View Post
    I just had a Flyers fan accept a trade - Briere for Benn, even up. He's a moron. Before I accept it I'm going to wait 24 hours for a response to two other proposals involving Brierre that would net me either H-Sed or Stamkos, but both are unlikely. So I've unloaded him for real value!
    Don't be greedy! This is highway robbery and the other offers have Zero chance of going through. If you wait and he realizes how foolish his offer is you will be kicking yourself!
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Stud

Yeah, you have a point there. I'm the Comish so I might not want to wait for people to protest! Funny thing is, the guy who's trading me is not one of the desperate owners with a bad team, or a newbie. He clearly has the best team in the league. Last year he led wire-to-wire, but lost in the playoffs. He knows hockey and he knows what he is doing. I can't believe he made this trade. I'd say something really disparaging about Flyers fans here, but I think that would be unseemly... lol
    IR+

Dobber Sports Guru

I would just accept it and then try and trade Benn for Stamkos or Sedin. If he is a good GM perhaps he is simply worried about Benn signing and wants to cash in, that combined with him being a Flyers fan may have made him accept.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymanG23 View Post
    Don't be greedy! This is highway robbery and the other offers have Zero chance of going through. If you wait and he realizes how foolish his offer is you will be kicking yourself!
    I may have jumped the gun on the bold portion since I noticed I made a comment on the Stamkos offer . Like I said there it is a decent offer but I thought you were talking about a "straight up" deal for him. It probably won't be accepted but it certainly has a much better chance than zero!

I still stand by my opinion of Benn for Briere though,... straight up highway robbery!

W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Genius

The nice thing here is that if he's an intelligent GM no one can complain that you duped a noob. It also always feels good to know you got the better of someone who SHOULD know better

W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm

Dobber Sports Wizard

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by jimc21 View Post

Briere for Benn?? Are you serious? Good for you, but bad for your league's longevity if these type of lopsided deals go down.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Stud

Well, it was a bit on an anomaly. I still can't believe he did it. Nobody else protested, so it's done. I think that to folks here in the east, Dallas is a total unknown. Folks just didn't realize what an upside Benn has.

The potential deals for Sedin or Stamkos were certainly not straight up. I was offering Breiere, Datsyuk and Price for Stamkos and Holtby from a guy who really loves the Wings. He did not respond, so the deal is off. But now that I have Benn instead of Briere, I might just stand pat. I was a little worried about my scoring, but I think I just took a nice step in the right direction.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys!
    IR+