Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The NHL players need a reality check...I think

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default The NHL players need a reality check...I think

To be clear, both sides are letting their ego's get in the way of actually making a deal.

However, the players need a huge reality check right now. Billionaire business owners are egomaniacs with deep pockets and are not going to be pushed around. Think Donald Trump, if you insulted this man while he thinks he is being generous, he'll hold that grudge until the day he dies. Think Kevin O'leary, do you go on Dragon's Den and expect to be paid hansomly, no he'll ruthlessly take as much of your company as he can for the least amount of dollars...why, because he's a business man, and it sucks but to get to where you can afford a 300-500million dollar side business (ie NHL team) you have to be ruthless and you make enemies, and you certainly don't get pushed around.

Let's take the Montreal Canadiens (one of the most profitable teams in the league). In 2011 their profit was approx $40 million dollars. They are partially owed by Bell Media who's 3 month profit (ie. one quarter) was 642million. Do you think they really care about the tiny profit they are losing out of from the Montreal candiens. And this is one of the more profitable teams.

I think the owners are at fault for all the ridiculous contracts they dolled out...but what I wonder is whether the players realize that they don't have the power to push the owners around, they may have to give up more they want, because they are dealing with egomanic, perhaps ruthless billionaires, who own a team because they can...not because it's a lucrative business.
    Yahoo 10 GM Keeper league (keep 7)
    G=3pts, A=2pt, (PIM,PPP,+/-)= 0.25 W=4pts, Svs=0.05, SO=2pts

Roster
    C: Scheifele, Seguin, Barkov, Couturier, Pettersson, D.Strome
    LW: Benn, Karlsson, Guentzel, Schenn, DeBrusk
    RW: Rantanen, Tarasenko, Draisaitl
    D: Gostisbehere, Barrie, McAvoy, Weber, Pulock
    G: Jones, Grubauer, Smith, Crawford, Luongo

Dobber Sports Deity

As long as the players think they have a drop dead date weeks away, they will continue to push the envelope to see what they can squeeze out of the owners.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    As long as the players think they have a drop dead date weeks away, they will continue to push the envelope to see what they can squeeze out of the owners.
    Heard this very same thing multiple times over the last few days. Fehr is willing to push FOR MORE up until that magical drop dead date. I'm hearing JAN 1. Whether they get more , i'm not sure. Garry knows Fehr is pushing him to the brink and it's driving him MAD.

I'm still a firm believer that we will see hockey, but perhaps later in the month.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Stud

Agreed. If this latest NHL offer were to go to vote, there is no doubt it would have passed by the players. The main issues in question only affect a small percentage of players. 90% of the players in the league are the silent majority here. These guys can't afford to miss pay checks like the superstars. Vote and they play.

Administrator

I simply don't think the players are going about this the right way. They want the best percentage possible and no rollback. But by missing a huge chunk of games that is essentially a rollback. And if the revenue shrinks then who the hell cares about the percentage???

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I simply don't think the players are going about this the right way. They want the best percentage possible and no rollback. But by missing a huge chunk of games that is essentially a rollback. And if the revenue shrinks then who the hell cares about the percentage???
    See I disagree. Both sides should be commended for closing the gap here.

Back in September going from 57% to 50% was a jump of something like $210 million this year but now the same jump would only be $100 million (maybe less!) thanks to the shortened season, lost marquee events, and fan disenchantment.

The NHL and NHLPA working together made this happen, and as fans we should show just how much we appreciate their efforts.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    See I disagree. Both sides should be commended for closing the gap here.

Back in September going from 57% to 50% was a jump of something like $210 million this year but now the same jump would only be $100 million (maybe less!) thanks to the shortened season, lost marquee events, and fan disenchantment.

The NHL and NHLPA working together made this happen, and as fans we should show just how much we appreciate their efforts.
    You're right, I have changed my stance 100%.

I think you're right. I don't like the way the owners via Bettman are handling their league but ultimately the players need to be realistic, sign some shit and move on.

The owners lose this whole year and the players are gonna wind up in a world of shit. They'll be begging for Bettman's original offer at the start of all this.
    @SmittysRant

Administrator

And on the 5 year contract limit... I actually think the players benefit from shorter deals. It gives them more flexibility and the cap always goes up. Sure there is some uncertainty about what the economics will look like down the road but since the early 90s salaries have done nothing but go up. I think the last 20 years are a good sample size don't you think?

Dobber Sports Veteran

The players are missing the point here. It's that a majority of owners are willing to miss a season if they can deny primary culpability.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

And on the 5 year contract limit... I actually think the players benefit from shorter deals. It gives them more flexibility and the cap always goes up. Sure there is some uncertainty about what the economics will look like down the road but since the early 90s salaries have done nothing but go up. I think the last 20 years are a good sample size don't you think?
    Yeah I didn't get that myself.
    @SmittysRant

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Yeah I didn't get that myself.
    Well I do understand their demand for longer contracts... only on the surface though...

You would think protecting the "pie" would out-weigh that...

Well I do understand their demand for longer contracts... only on the surface though...

You would think protecting the "pie" would out-weigh that...
    But I just assumed their availability on the open market is what drives their salary higher.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Veteran

Been following the whole saga, like everyone else... the two things that bother me

Why didn't the union let the players vote on the latest or any proposal?

Why does it seem like the union only cares about the high money players... what about the guys who had this year as only one of three years in the show? Or the minimal salary?

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by plug View Post
    Why does it seem like the union only cares about the high money players... what about the guys who had this year as only one of three years in the show? Or the minimal salary?
    The cynic in me suspects it is the same reason that you see so much of US politics focus on the '1%'. High money players pay the most union dues (taxes) so they are the ones who hold most sway with the union.

But that's what a cynic would think... I'm not saying that's how it is, right?
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril