Thread: Backes vs. Seguin or Landeskog

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Backes vs. Seguin or Landeskog

I'm currently a Backes owner in a keeper points-only league. Peripheral stats are included (in sig.). Backes currently is a monster! I'm in a rebuild phase and have a great young team IMO. I think I'll start to blossom in 2 to 3 years. Backes in now 28 and will be around 31 when my team starts to hit its stride. I'm wondering if I should be trading Backes now while his multi-cat value is high and try to land a younger asset. Looking around my league I'm thinking of targetting either Seguin or Landeskog. Is this a good plan? Should I be considering moving Backes based on his age for an asset that will be just starting their peak when my team gets going (not finishing their peak like Backes)? I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

Stat Categories: G(1), A(1), +/- (.5), PIM (.25), SHG (2), SHA (1), GWG (2), Hits and blocks (.1), W(2), GA (-.2), SV (.05), SO (5)
    C(x3), L(x3), R(x3), D(x6), Utility(1), G(x3), Bench(x6)

(Keep 10 skaters, 2 goalies)
    C: Backes, Kuznetsov, Pavelski, Thornton, Grandlund
    L: Benn, E. Kane, Dupuis, Kunitz, N. Filigno
    R: Kassian, Tarasenko, Yakupov, Coyle
    D: B. Smith, Carlson, D. Hamilton, Giordano, Hamonic, Seidenberg, Goligoski
    G: Rask, Schneider, Lindback, Anderson

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop67 View Post
    I'm currently a Backes owner in a keeper points-only league. Peripheral stats are included (in sig.). Backes currently is a monster! I'm in a rebuild phase and have a great young team IMO. I think I'll start to blossom in 2 to 3 years. Backes in now 28 and will be around 31 when my team starts to hit its stride. I'm wondering if I should be trading Backes now while his multi-cat value is high and try to land a younger asset. Looking around my league I'm thinking of targetting either Seguin or Landeskog. Is this a good plan? Should I be considering moving Backes based on his age for an asset that will be just starting their peak when my team gets going (not finishing their peak like Backes)? I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!
    Seguin would be the optimal prize here, but I don't think a Backes for Seguin deal will work. Lando's stats are as equally as good as Backes according to your CATS and he's 9 years younger. I would try a Lando + a pick or tier II player for Backes and see where that takes you. Don't think you can go wrong with either player and Backes has lots in the tank going fwd, no need to rush a deal. But I favour Landeskog that much more. He gets lots of love as a future multi-cat stud on these boards.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'm too lazy to work it out but trusting you on Backes being a monster I think I might want Landeskog over Seguin anyways, for 2 reasons. Landy is probably never going to match Seguin in points, but multi-cats he will be a hits and blocks monster. He will probably play SH and PP situations, where as Seguin will probably not see much SH time, especially with Bergeron on the team. Points only you want Seguin every time, but think of Landeskog as a more skilled Dustin Brown, and for that matter Backes, who just isn't as proven. He will get you at least equal points but almost always high, and similar other cat stats. Secondly, Landeskog is a designated winger. Obviously at the moment Seguin is a winger too, but he was drafted as a center and it is his natural position. Three years down the road who knows what happens in Boston with Krejci, Seguin may be moved back to center and lose his wing eligibility. Good centers are just plain easier to come by in fantasy than wingers.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    He will get you at least equal points but almost always high, and similar other cat stats. Secondly, Landeskog is a designated winger.
    good points there. Agree 100%.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Guru

I love Backes and he's an absolute roto stud but I doubt you'll get Seguin or Lando for him. Seguin has that 100 point upside and looks like the real deal. He's also much younger than Backes. Lando is another roto stud and Backes isn't much of an upgrade over him and Lando has more untapped upside left in him. There's also the age difference between Backes and Landeskog.

If you can get either of them for your Backes, go for it. If not, you end up having to keep Backes. That's an amazing situation also. So not a big deal if you can't get the deal done.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw