Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: McGregor & Mayweather... HERE WE GO!!!

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: McGregor & Mayweather... HERE WE GO!!!

This fight was not close, despite some scoring it 7-3. McGregor looked awkward and like a fish out of water from the first bell. McGrergor was never able to land anything clean, except for the very occasional weak jab, and Mayweather was never in any trouble. McGregor started breathing heavily somewhere in the second or third round. McGregor kept trying to circle around quickly and wrap Mayweather up from behind while landing blows from his back, which was strange. McGregor was warned probably 7 or 8 times for delivering hammerfists (which are legal in MMA, but illegal in boxing), and blows to the back of the head, without ever having a point deducted. I don't think that anybody who says it was a close fight, was watching very closely.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I agree with the 7-3, at the absolute minimum 8-2. Floyd didn't even throw a punch in the first two rounds so I'm not sure in what universe he could have won that round.

Obviously the judges and ref was heavily biased... they are motivated to defend their sport and tradition. look at the way the ref was treating Conor relative to Floyd during the rules discussion and throughout the fight. The moment Floyd looked like he took some damage to the body ref immediately stepped in and gave him a break. Stoppage was early as well IMO.

In any event, Mayweather did what he was supposed to do - surprised it took 10 rounds.
    Mayweather probably put money on when it would end.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

A better fight than many anticipated.

I should have laid some money down as a I predicted a late round TKO for Mayweather who, if he was smart (and he is), would lay in wait for McGregor to tire himself out before going after him.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    A better fight than many anticipated.

I should have laid some money down as a I predicted a late round TKO for Mayweather who, if he was smart (and he is), would lay in wait for McGregor to tire himself out before going after him.
    The ole Muhammed Ali "Rope-a-dope" trick.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

agreed with most... no contest..

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I agree with the 7-3, at the absolute minimum 8-2. Floyd didn't even throw a punch in the first two rounds so I'm not sure in what universe he could have won that round.

Obviously the judges and ref was heavily biased... they are motivated to defend their sport and tradition. look at the way the ref was treating Conor relative to Floyd during the rules discussion and throughout the fight. The moment Floyd looked like he took some damage to the body ref immediately stepped in and gave him a break. Stoppage was early as well IMO.

In any event, Mayweather did what he was supposed to do - surprised it took 10 rounds.
    Obviously biased? Or maybe you and the casual fan at home doesn't know how to properly score boxing? I'd think it's much more likely to be the second one than the first.

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    This fight was not close, despite some scoring it 7-3. McGregor looked awkward and like a fish out of water from the first bell. McGrergor was never able to land anything clean, except for the very occasional weak jab, and Mayweather was never in any trouble. McGregor started breathing heavily somewhere in the second or third round. McGregor kept trying to circle around quickly and wrap Mayweather up from behind while landing blows from his back, which was strange. McGregor was warned probably 7 or 8 times for delivering hammerfists (which are legal in MMA, but illegal in boxing), and blows to the back of the head, without ever having a point deducted. I don't think that anybody who says it was a close fight, was watching very closely.

Rylant
    Agreed

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Obviously biased? Or maybe you and the casual fan at home doesn't know how to properly score boxing? I'd think it's much more likely to be the second one than the first.
    They are biased. They are traditionalists defending a dying sport against someone they view as the icon representing the sport that will eventually kill boxing. It makes all the sense in the world for them both professionally and personally to be biased given the circumstances. On top of that there's a long history of corruption in that sport. How do you score points without throwing any punches or mustering any offense?

Sorry didn't know you were a former pro boxing judge ... figured you were just as casual as everyone else on this forum... tool.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Points are only deducted and not added.

I didn't see the fight but from what i've read, (fact or fiction for some of you), sounds like it took Mayweather a couple of rounds to figure out McGregor. I'm guessing the fight took as long as it did, only because McGregor can take a punch.

This fight did interest me and i'm sure it was entertaining, but lets face it, it was just a huge money grab. The result was anticlimatic.

Dobber Sports Ninja

At least Mayweather let it go 10 rounds and it was somewhat entertaining...from what I saw of the highlights - I didn't watch the whole thing.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

They are biased. They are traditionalists defending a dying sport against someone they view as the icon representing the sport that will eventually kill boxing. It makes all the sense in the world for them both professionally and personally to be biased given the circumstances. On top of that there's a long history of corruption in that sport. How do you score points without throwing any punches or mustering any offense?

Sorry didn't know you were a former pro boxing judge ... figured you were just as casual as everyone else on this forum... tool.
    Salty much? I am a casual fan. I don't know pro boxing scoring anymore than you do. You know who does? The uh...judges. Yea those guys. How do you score points without throwing punches? Probably by boxing defensively, you know, the way Mayweather wins every single fight definitively. Maybe you should do some research about something you very very clearly do not understand and are also very very clearly quite wrong about.

Dying sport vs. the one that's going to replace it? Yea, I for sure believe that. That's why McGregor left the UFC and their $2 million dollar purses to make $100 million. I'm sure boxing is just shaking at the threat of MMA lol.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Salty much? I am a casual fan. I don't know pro boxing scoring anymore than you do. You know who does? The uh...judges. Yea those guys. How do you score points without throwing punches? Probably by boxing defensively, you know, the way Mayweather wins every single fight definitively. Maybe you should do some research about something you very very clearly do not understand and are also very very clearly quite wrong about.

Dying sport vs. the one that's going to replace it? Yea, I for sure believe that. That's why McGregor left the UFC and their $2 million dollar purses to make $100 million. I'm sure boxing is just shaking at the threat of MMA lol.
    Oh man, that's hilarious, scoring points is one thing, but if you don't throw punches, you shouldn't win any rounds - it's boxing, not dancing. Those same judges often get it wrong and with all the money flying around, they could never be "influenced", could they?

I agree that the money is clearly still with boxing and probably will be for the foreseeable future, but I suspect many people also believe boxing is often fixed.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Oh man, that's hilarious, scoring points is one thing, but if you don't throw punches, you shouldn't win any rounds - it's boxing, not dancing. Those same judges often get it wrong and with all the money flying around, they could never be "influenced", could they?

I agree that the money is clearly still with boxing and probably will be for the foreseeable future, but I suspect many people also believe boxing is often fixed.
    Again, I certainly don't have enough hubris to claim I know better than trained professionals. If, as stated, you start at max points and only get points deducted, I'd say it's probably be pretty easy to keep max points for a 3 minute round with minimal punches thrown.

Dobber Sports Titan

http://coolmaterial.com/feature/how-...-boxing-match/

how boxing is scored.

you start 10-10 and points are removed for fouls and getting knocked down. Pretty easy to win a round without throwing a punch.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

If a judge deems the round completely even, both fighters receive 10 points.

When the referee sees fit, he can take away a point or two for an intentional foul; he can do the same for unintentional ones, but that usually occurs after at least a warning.
    Connor continually using (illegal) hammer punches - lost points

Effective Aggression – Being aggressive gives the impression of dominance, but unless the boxer is landing shots and not constantly getting countered, it’s not exactly “effective.” Judges look for effective aggression, where the aggressor consistently lands his punches and avoids those from his opponent.

Ring Generalship – The fighter who controls the action and enforces his will and style.

Defense – How well is a boxer slipping, parrying, and blocking punches? Good defense is important.

Hard and Clean Punches – To the untrained eye, it can appear as if a boxer is landing a lot of shots, when, in fact, most are being blocked or aren’t landing flush. A judge needs to look for hard shots that land clean.
    Connor landing nothing in terms of tangible punches while Floyd executed near flawless defense.

Pretty clear that the judge scoring the fight 7-3 is more likely wrong than the 2 that scored it 9-1

Dobber Sports Star

To be honest, the "10 Point Must" system has always been a broken system. This is a clear example of "why". You have a guy who, on one hand, is the greatest defensive boxer of all time; a world-class boxer, known for technique, but has had a tough time putting away opponents in the latter portion of his career. Then you take another guy; somebody who would probably get beaten by many amateur boxers and is completely laughable when compared to the other guy. Somehow, the "good" boxer is "only" ahead 7-3 on some unofficial score cards when he TKOs the guy who should have never been there in the first place... Baffling to me...

Rylant