Thread: Brendan Dillon (DAL) - sleeper defenseman

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Brendan Dillon (DAL) - sleeper defenseman

Elliotte Friedman mentioned him today - he won't stay under the radar for long.

From the August 29 ramblings...

Some info on little-known Dallas prospect defenseman Brendan Dillon.

“What is interesting about Dillon is that what made him get passed up by NHL teams during the past few drafts was his lack of size, especially as a defenseman playing in the WHL. Yet he was a bit of a late bloomer and the skills he developed in order to succeed as an undersized hockey player are being put to get use now that he's a big body out on the ice.

When Dillon signed his entry level contract back in March, not much was made of the acquisition here at Defending Big D. We had bigger worries to talk about, especially as the season was lost down the stretch of the season, yet there were some very positive things happening down in Austin once Dillon made his AHL debut.

While he never scored in 10 regular season games, he managed to instantly solidify himself as one of the best and more reliable defensemen on the team. He was used extensively by coach Glen Gulutzan in the first round of the playoffs, as he finished with a plus-1 and two assists in six games. For a player that was never regarded as someone worthy of even being drafted, Dillon certainly made an instant impression on the Dallas Stars and the organization.”

Dillon had 59 points in his final WHL season with Seattle last season (and 139 PIM).
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Grand Master

He's definitely having a bit of a break out - my question is whether or not this is the kind of prospect you want to hold onto or whether he doesn't project to be much and should be moved for other prospects or what not.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Don't think he has much value right now - I'd grab him and stash him on the bench/farm if room is there.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I traded him for Austin Watson, so I guess I answered my own question.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Fast forward 1.5 years later. Dillon is now full-time on the Stars roster. Had a Gordie Howe hat trick last night. But these were his first points of the season. I'm always on the lookout for cheap d-men who can get PIM and have some points upside. What's his outlook for this year? Next two years?
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Snagged him in my 20 team dynasty league, I remember reading an article about him by you a while ago. I just wanted to see him play in the NHL and so far so good.

Thanks Angus!
    Last edited by dmvincent; February 3, 2013 at 2:11 PM.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    Fast forward 1.5 years later. Dillon is now full-time on the Stars roster. Had a Gordie Howe hat trick last night. But these were his first points of the season. I'm always on the lookout for cheap d-men who can get PIM and have some points upside. What's his outlook for this year? Next two years?
    Offensively? I'd say 15-20 point pace this year, 20-25 next, with hits, PIM.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by angus View Post
    Offensively? I'd say 15-20 point pace this year, 20-25 next, with hits, PIM.
    Thanks Angus. I just claimed him off waivers in my salary cap league. Hope he turns into a Hamonic type of producer.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I jumped on the Dillon train a few days ago in one of my ROTO leagues that counts PIM/SOG/HIT/BkS.
    He's putting up some nice numbers in those cats, especially in a deep (14 team x 6D) league.
    So - thanks for the Dillon mentions this year.