Sign me up for MacKinnon....easily.

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: MacKinnon or McDavid?

Albeit a small sample size, always go with proven. Mackinnon here
    Member of OCHA

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    MacK is already a stud. He's in a great young core with Duchene, Landeskog and one of O'Reilly / Stastny
    This is very important. We know the great young core that MacKinnon is blessed to play with. Who knows where McDavid ends up?
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Deity

I hate when people ask to compare someone in the NHL to someone still playing Jr. hockey.

Yes, McDavid is being touted as a generational player but how many Jr stars have we seen dominate in their league then struggle in the NHL.

Until McDavid steps into an NHL game, I'll take what I can see with my own two eyes.

MacKinnon

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyProphet View Post
    I dunno, I seem to be the minority here, but I'll go McDavid all day!
    I see what you see with McDavid, so I'm having a hard time picking one over the other. However, as a business decision, I have to go with MacKinnon for the reasons listed by many.

I see MacK as a Tavares-type in the making (with a pretty sure guarantee of the end result based on his transition to the NHL game this year) whereas McDavid is in a Crosby-like category. The optimal output of McDavid over MacKinnon is 30 points at max IMO if both guys reach their true potential (130 vs 100 respectively), but the odds of that happening are very slim. If anything, MacK has proven that he can hit the ppg mark in the not-so-distant future (probably as early as next year) so his 90-100 ceiling is very plausible down the road. McD on the other hand has yet to show that he can play in the NHL, even if he is burning it in the juniors. I'm not making a comparison here, but Kevin Roy has also burned many junior/college records and has yet to play an NHL game (and if he ever does, I doubt he will be able to dominate the same way as he was accustomed to).

The point in all of this, as illustrated above, is that the potential for the extra points that McDavid COULD produce over MacKinnon does not out-weight the proven vs expected theory.

I vote for MacKinnon here as well, but I see why HockeyProphet values McDavid to the point of taking him over NM! On a side note though, if you asked people if they would trade their Ilya Kovalchuk in 2003 for Crosby (2005), I'm pretty sure many would have voted to keep Kovy!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Stud

Yeah I really don't think you can go wrong with either player, both will be stars in my opinion.

I've seen McDavid play and he stands out, (I'm sure McKinnon did too). Its not just how he is doing in juniors, but his play in the Worlds. Also he's getting praise from Crosby, who says that McDavid reminds him of himself. Also, Orr who spotted him at a young age, and is his agent.

ALSO I've read about his work ethic and how he trains. McDavid is gearing up to be the real deal.

The only thing that could really hurt him, is where he ends up, so I can see a strong argument that Mac is sitting pretty but I like the gamble here.
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Deity

Yeah I really don't think you can go wrong with either player, both will be stars in my opinion.

I've seen McDavid play and he stands out, (I'm sure McKinnon did too). Its not just how he is doing in juniors, but his play in the Worlds. Also he's getting praise from Crosby, who says that McDavid reminds him of himself. Also, Orr who spotted him at a young age, and is his agent.

ALSO I've read about his work ethic and how he trains. McDavid is gearing up to be the real deal.

The only thing that could really hurt him, is where he ends up, so I can see a strong argument that Mac is sitting pretty but I like the gamble here.
    To me it doesnt matter who's praising them or who they compare them to. Until they step onto the ice in the NHL, they are nothing more then a prospect with something to prove. Lets not forget, Alexandre Daigle scored 247 pts in 119 games for Victoriaville and was touted as the next Mario Lemieux. How'd that work out?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Mack over Mic for me - better team that McDavid will land with and already proven.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    To me it doesnt matter who's praising them or who they compare them to. Until they step onto the ice in the NHL, they are nothing more then a prospect with something to prove. Lets not forget, Alexandre Daigle scored 247 pts in 119 games for Victoriaville and was touted as the next Mario Lemieux. How'd that work out?
    I don't think it was Mario and Orr saying so. Also, I think a lot more top picks have been more successful in making the jump. I agree, junior to the NHL is a step some don't make. But its high praise, from knowledgable hockey people.

Also played pretty darn well in the World Juniors, as a 16 year old, against 19 year olds. The last person, was Crosby. So he fits a good pedigree.

No way does he take the Daigle path.
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

Dobber Sports Ninja

No way does he take the Daigle path.
    Maybe the Daigle path is extreme, but what about the Yaku-path???? That story has yet to fully play out, but it's certainly been hugely disappointing for most owners who drafted him expecting a "generational talent".

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Maybe the Daigle path is extreme, but what about the Yaku-path???? That story has yet to fully play out, but it's certainly been hugely disappointing for most owners who drafted him expecting a "generational talent".
    That is true. I don't like to play the Russian prospect card, but he's fitting the stereotype pretty well. Be interesting to see how it plays out, and if he gets unmuzzled in EDM (more likely to see him in another jersey).

But I never thought he was going to be a generational talent. Look at players who were 16 year olds in the WJ, Crosby, Lindros, Spezza, Gretzky.

If you read about his work ethic and training, he has that Toews/Crosby/Stamkos seriousness about his career. Skill and maturity is why I think he makes the jump.
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

Banned

Mental wounds not healing, life's a bitter shame
    Going off the rails on a Hype Train!

Dobber Sports Veteran

You can say they're comparing McDavid to Crosby...

MacKinnon already looks as good as Crosby right now.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Legend

That is true. I don't like to play the Russian prospect card, but he's fitting the stereotype pretty well. Be interesting to see how it plays out, and if he gets unmuzzled in EDM (more likely to see him in another jersey).

But I never thought he was going to be a generational talent. Look at players who were 16 year olds in the WJ, Crosby, Lindros, Spezza, Gretzky.

If you read about his work ethic and training, he has that Toews/Crosby/Stamkos seriousness about his career. Skill and maturity is why I think he makes the jump.
    Chances are both will be superstars. I'm a believer in McDavid, and if it were any other "prospect" than MacKinnon (no longer a prospect) who we were comparing him to, I'd probably go with him. Like most, I've watched MacKinnon a lot this year and the kid has impressed me from day 1 but has been getting better and better by the game it seems. At 18 years old, he's among the best players on the ice any given game. On the game's largest stage - the playoffs - he's been absolutely incredible. He's good it all: Size, speed, tenacity, grit, passing hands, goal scorers hands and work ethic. Not saying McDavid doesn't, but we are already seeing what MacKinnon can do at this level... as an 18 year old.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Luffy D Monkey View Post
    You can say they're comparing McDavid to Crosby...

MacKinnon already looks as good as Crosby right now.
    Hmmm. That may be a jump.

Either way, its a good thread to save and look back in the future.
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G