Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Signing] Cal Clutterbuck (NYI)

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default [Signing] Cal Clutterbuck (NYI)

Clutterbuck just agreed to terms on a four year deal with the Isles. I think he was an RFA.

The New York Islanders announced today that Cal Clutterbuck has agreed to terms on a four-year contract.

Clutterbuck, 25, has 110 points (62 goals, 48 assists) in 346 career National Hockey League games, all with the Minnesota Wild. A native of Welland, ON, Clutterbuck scored 10 points (four goals, six assists) in 42 games last season, while leading the team with 155 hits (tied for ninth in NHL). He also made his Stanley Cup Playoffs debut, scoring two points (one goal, one assist) in five games during Minnesota’s Western Conference Quarterfinal series against the Chicago Blackhawks.
    http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=677283

Dobber Sports Monster

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 5s

Cal Clutterbuck's deal is worth $11 million over 4 years. #Isles

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Wow.
    As much as we all like to watch Clutterbuck's game... I'm still a bit mystified that NYI gives him almost $3m when they've already got Matt Martin doing it for $1m.
    IDK... unless they are considering putting C-buck on RW1 to safeguard Moulson & Tavares. (which, surely, they are not.)

I mean... $2.75m... that's what Frans Nielsen makes.
    Man, those Isles have some good contracts, aside from Clutterbuck's.
    20 players signed for $44m... pretty solid.
    Last edited by Pengwin7; July 9, 2013 at 11:32 AM.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Wow.
    As much as we all like to watch Clutterbuck's game... I'm still a bit mystified that NYI gives him almost $3m when they've already got Matt Martin doing it for $1m.
    IDK... unless they are considering putting C-buck on RW1 to safeguard Moulson & Tavares. (which, surely, they are not.)

Clutterbuck has a good bit more offensive potential than Martin.
    I like this signing a lot. Great depth being built on that roster! Tavares will explode this season.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Dobber Sports Stud

They are going to be a punishing team to play against..
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Monster

Lovin' what the Isles are putting together. Looking good to really take off in the near future. New arena, the roster is much improved. Good times a comin'.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I think it just magnifies just how well Snow has managed some of his other contracts. I feel like if this Clutterbuck contract is an overpayment that it's marginally so at most.

It's just when you compare his deal to some of the other contracts on the team it makes you wonder..huh?

I've been drinking Snow's kool-aid for a couple years now...ever since he claimed Nabokov off waivers and pissed everybody off. I thought that was an awesome move at the time and it has proved to be as such. Last year I thought that the Matt Martin contract was fantastic even if it was a minor one.

Something to note is this deal now puts the Isles over the cap floor with Bailey and Hickey left to sign. Other than that they're pretty much set.

Dobber Sports Ninja

It's not a great contract to be honest, but you have to pay to get these kind of guys. He's slightly more offensive and much more physical than Boyd Gordon. But Gordon can win draws like a beast and is better defensively. Similar contracts.

Dobber Sports Wizard

i know he is an RFA and not a UFA but it is a contract similar to the Prust contract

looking at it in that light i dont see it as being all that bad to be honest

i think bondon has it right we are used to the Snow steals and when someone gets paid market or slightly over we are perhaps harsher than we should be

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Pro

I might be alone but I think this is a pretty good deal for the Isles. He can score 15-20 goals (well 19) on the third line, kills penalties, other teams hate to play against him and won't hurt you defensively. Compared to other deals teams have been making for for 3rd/4th line players (cough... Nashville) it is not bad.
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgort View Post
    I might be alone but I think this is a pretty good deal for the Isles. He can score 15-20 goals (well 19) on the third line, kills penalties, other teams hate to play against him and won't hurt you defensively. Compared to other deals teams have been making for for 3rd/4th line players (cough... Nashville) it is not bad.
    Matt Cullen is marginally overpaid but has a better chance to give you more offensive production (which the Predators need).

Eric Nystrom is getting paid less than Clutterbuck, but brings less to the table for sure.

Matt Hendricks is getting paid much less than Clutterbuck, so isn't a good comparison either.

Not sure how you can criticise the Preds and then think Clutterbuck's deal is so great at the same time to be honest. Clutterbuck's deal is maybe only marginally better at best.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Gordon/Hendricks/Nystrom/Cullen.... all UFAs.

Clutterbuck... RFA. Contracts aren't really comparable.

Clutterbuck is giving up a few UFA years with this extension, but RFA contracts are lower because they aren't as much "free" agents as UFAs are. Don't forget that when making these comparisons.

This contract is a marginal overpayment, but the Isles have so much cap space that it is pretty much irrelevant. He's an effective player.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Icon

Wow.
    Clutterbuck and Tavares played on a line together is Oshawa on 06-07 and Clutterbuck managed to get 89-points in 65-games. They had good chemistry. I have my doubts that he holds down a spot on the top line for long, but wouldn't be surprised to see him get a cup of coffee with JT.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by angus View Post

This contract is a marginal overpayment, but the Isles have so much cap space that it is pretty much irrelevant. He's an effective player.
    Bingo! Extremely marginal if not fair value. I have no problem at all with this contract.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    Clutterbuck and Tavares played on a line together is Oshawa on 06-07 and Clutterbuck managed to get 89-points in 65-games. They had good chemistry.
    I had zero idea that they played together in junior, let alone that C-Buck scored 89 points in 65 games, WOW..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..