Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A Special Thanks

Dobber Sports Master

Default A Special Thanks

Well it's been a while since I've been on here eh? The whole layout of this site has been changed and I have no clue how to find my most recent posts (apparently I haven't posted since November of 2010, which is definitely not true), but I haven't been on in probably a year or so. While I've turned into a fancy stats disciple and increasingly cynical of the Toronto Maple Leafs, I wanted to come back here and say thanks to everyone on these forums. I'll explain.

I started following these boards, whether it was commenting or lurking, since 2009. I was 13 at the time, in the middle of grade 8. Long story short, grade 7 kicked the shit out of my confidence and made me feel pretty uneasy about a lot of things. So as a 13/14 year old kid who was irrationally worried about my standing with my friends, I turned to these forums to blow off some steam. I originally wanted to come here and ask questions and look around, but I truly started to feel better about myself. By talking hockey with you guys and having my opinions seen as valid and respected, I gained confidence that I truly needed to enjoy high school. I graduated at the top of my class a month ago, I'm off to university next year, and I had an awesome social high school experience. A big part of all that is thanks to this forum.

So whether you knew if I was a teenager or not, thanks to all of you for humouring my thoughts, one-line responses, and desire to make the boards fun. In my grade 11 & 12 years my activity on these boards have definitely slowed down, and I'm honestly not sure how active I'll be over the next few years. Just know that you're all awesome, and I'm truly grateful for giving me the boost I needed when I joined these boards.

Cheers,

Tyler

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: A Special Thanks

Good man! Congratulations on your graduation! I've honestly never thought you were "just a kid". You've always come off as more mature.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Great to hear. Enjoy University. Fun times!

Dobber Sports Stud

Grats man.

I figured you at least younger then I was (in 2010 I would have been 17 unless you were in the last 2 weeks of that year), and would have been similar to your situation in terms of just graduating and having being good at this one thing called "Fantasy Hockey" a boost in confidence (although I was one of the more school-talented kids, so I didn't have problems). Maybe not as drastic a case as yours, but I can completely get it.
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    24 team H2H (W-:L) Dynasty - 3C/LW/RW/F, 6D, 1G.
    G/A/(+/-)/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/GWG/HIT/BLK/FOW
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

NHL Cap + 1M salary cap (AAV)

Dobber Sports Wizard

Congrats TK! And welcome back, even if it's in a limited capacity. It's great hearing how well your doing in spite of spending a large chunk of your formative and impressionable years with us lunatics. It's nice to know we didn't scar you for life. Well at least not too deeply anyway.

All jokes aside, it looks like you've got your priorities straight and we all know your going to succeed at university and beyond.

Administrator

Glad to see you turn into a success story. I really feel old when I mention that high school grad was 10 years ago for me. Post-secondary school/life will be your best and worst years all at the same time with all of the ups, downs and insanity associated. It's a crazy ride but IMO a necessary one to get ready for the real life that starts afterwards.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Star

Congrats! Good luck in university!
    Weekly H2H points only (Year 9 - 2015-16)
    12 teams limited keeper (keep 6 + 1 Rookie)
    13 round draft - Unlimited Trades - No Waivers - No IR
    4 Team Playoffs (last 2 reg. season weeks)
    Rookies are 23 years old or younger in the draft year and never reached 60pts (forward), 40pts (defense), 25 wins (goalie)

Start : C RW LW Utility D D G

C - S.Stamkos, J.Thornton, K.Turris, D.Stepan
    LW - O.Palat, B.Saad, A.Burakovsky
    RW - B.Wheeler, T.Toffoli, C.Atkinson
    D - E.Karlsson, S.Gostisbehere, C.Fowler, A.Ekblad, A.Larsson
    G - C.Hellebuyck, D.Dubnyk, A.Niemi, K.Lehtonen

Dobber Sports Master

Good to see you TK, glad things are going well. Stop by from time to time, keep the miserable old bastards here on their toes!

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I really feel old when I mention that high school grad was 10 years ago for me.
    Ah, yer still young buddy!
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    Ah, yer still young buddy!
    Funny story about the 10 year thing... a few months ago some old high school friends started a facebook group to organize our 10 year reunion. Pretty standard stuff right? But then being the old farts that we are, nobody followed through with the plans that were decided and suddenly a message pops up saying "shit we messed up let's try again next year".

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Funny story about the 10 year thing... a few months ago some old high school friends started a facebook group to organize our 10 year reunion. Pretty standard stuff right? But then being the old farts that we are, nobody followed through with the plans that were decided and suddenly a message pops up saying "shit we messed up let's try again next year".
    10 years. Wait til you realize your twenty year high school reunion took place two years ago. Yikes!

Nice to read TK's story. As a teacher, I have learned that every adolescent needs something to hold onto, something that makes them feel safe and secure. Whether it be a best friend, a diary, a hobby or, in this case, a hockey forum, the kids who find that thing, provided it is positive, tend to figure things out and go on to bigger things. Sadly, when the thing that makes them feel part of something is drugs or alcohol, things don't always end the same way. I have only been part of this forum for a year, but I am glad it had a part in your success. Take care of yourself, kiddo, and come back to visit us old (some more than others) farts grumble about hockey.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Ninja

Attaboy! Have fun at my alma mater

Dobber Sports Veteran

Great story, congrats man! Just remember, you can still be a fantasy hockey geek and a kid at heart when you hit 45 to 50.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    Attaboy! Have fun at my alma mater
    Did I miss the part about him going to clown college?

Mwahahahaha!!!!!

Edit: Now TK is commenting on goalie (Bulin wall) threads? Oh Christ...
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Administrator

Great story, thanks for taking the time to share. Best of luck with your future endeavours.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Stud

I wasn't a part of the forum back then but congrats none the less and enjoy college! You sound like a very well adjusted young man!
    16 Team Dynasty Weekly H2H Fantrax (starters in bold)

G A P +/- PIM SOG PPP H+B FOW --- W SV SV% GAA SO

(C) Krejci, Spezza, Koivo, Statsny Faksa
    (LW) Zetterberg, Duclair, Ehlers, M Domi Belesky, M Martin
    (RW) Pastrnak, Oshie, Larkin, Toffoli S Reinhart, Brouwer
    (D) J Honka, Seabrook, Goligoski, D DeKeyser, Vatanen, Parayko L Schenn, S Johns
    (G) Ward, Lack

Prospects- W Nylander, C Dvorak, I Barbashev, C White, T Rattie, M Dal Colle, A Mantha, R Barber, L Crouse, M Barzal, C Keller, L Brown, C Fischer, B Point, J Forsbacka-Karlsson