Thread: Should Leafs Hire Barry Trotz?

I...am your father.

Default Should Leafs Hire Barry Trotz?

Speculation on Twitter - will the Preds fire Trotz? Will the Leafs fire Carlyle?

If so - would the Leafs be wise or stupid to hire Trotz?

Besides the fact that the games will put you to sleep, that is...

The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: Should Leafs Hire Barry Trotz?

The Leafs should re-hire Burke and let him finish what he started. I know it ain't gonna happen.

Trotz is what the Leafs need. At least he gets something from talent less rosters. Imagine what he could do with this team.

Administrator

My initial reaction was, hell yes, but Trotz's coaching record warrants further dissection. Does he lose points for never having won his own division even once? Certainly getting stuck in the same division as the Red Wings Dynasty for 14 years didn't help, nor did catching the start of the Blackhawks dynasty. Does he lose points he lose points for having won just two playoff series? Does he gain degree of difficulty for almost never having a superstar forward with the exception of when they had Paul Kariya or the six weeks when they acquired Peter Forsberg? Does he lose points now that we've figured out just how incredible that Ryan Suter-Shea Weber pairing really was? How do we reconcile the value of the goalie pipeline he has benefited from in Nashville or does he get some credit for that too?

I still think he'd probably be an upgrade, I just don't know how much of a slam dunk he'd be. I think the Leafs still need to acquire better players.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Guru

Too many ifs for this to happen.

If the Preds fire Trotz, and if the Leafs fire Carlyle, and then if the Leafs want Trotz and if Trotz wants to coach again right away...

Anyways, Toronto will probably end up with Peter Laviolette.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Banned

If Trotz is fired, he won't be without a job for long...
    MANY teams would be picking up the phone.

Dobber Sports Genius

I think he'd be a good fit. Trotz has rarely had even 2 good scoring forwards and when he has his team has done well. It would be interesting to see what he could do on a team with 4 or 5 forwards with 60-90 point ability. They may not have a Weber type D but their top 4-5 are decent and they have good goaltending.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Guru

The Leafs need Tortorella. Then, the Nucks can get ANYONE besides Tortorella.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Deity

I dont think Carlyle gets fired. Trotz probably will, but I think Carlyle stays to start next year.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I dont think Carlyle gets fired. Trotz probably will, but I think Carlyle stays to start next year.
    i think there will be major changes. two years of choking means something needs to happen. nonis is likely safe, which means it's either carlyle/phaneuf. the latter just got extended and would be way too bold of a move so it'll be carlyle. at least that's what i hope...obviously the leafs need to get better players but there needs to be some accountability and itll be carlyle who gets blamed for his coaching style considering the one thing people will remember this year is the leafs getting outshot every game.

just my opinion, chances are nothing significant happens since it's the leafs. im hoping lieweke knows what he's doing...

Banned

Altho trotz is rumored to leave Nashville, there is an option on his contract for 1 more year. So its not a done deal just yet.

I personally think he will leave though.

And if I had to take a guess, he wont sign in Leafland

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Altho trotz is rumored to leave Nashville, there is an option on his contract for 1 more year. So its not a done deal just yet.

I personally think he will leave though.

And if I had to take a guess, he wont sign in Leafland
    what are the rumors? does he want to leave or is this coming from preds wanting to move on?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    what are the rumors? does he want to leave or is this coming from preds wanting to move on?
    this is from me hearing personal stories lol. I'll leave it at that. He for sure will be gone after next season. But I have heard stories that it may be this off season.