Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How bad is the 2017 draft class?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default How bad is the 2017 draft class?

After Patrick and Hischier (who I realize are nowhere close to the top players of '15 and '16) where do some of these other players rank? For instance, where would a Luke Kunin or Sonny Milano slot in for 2017? Thanks for any advice.
    20 team keeper
    G=1.7 A=1
    Def G=2.5 A=1.5
    Hits, BS, SOG, +/-= .1
    maj (+1) SHPTs (+1)

Centers: T. Hertl/R.N.H/P. Zacha/W. Karlsson/J. Kotkaniemi/T. Zegras
    Wings: A. Burakovsky/A. Mantha/R. Rickell/A. Duclair/
    Defense: J. Drysdale/O.E.L/R. Pulock/D. Fabbro/J. Schultz/M. Ferraro
    Goalies: R. Lehner
    Prospects: R. Damiani/A. Raty/R. Suzuki/R. Amirov/N. Chibrikov/J. Perreault/A. Volkov/D. Farrance/F. Gustavsson/L. Dostal

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: How bad is the 2017 draft class?

Quote Originally Posted by ptaylorgoon View Post
    After Patrick and Hischier (who I realize are nowhere close to the top players of '15 and '16) where do some of these other players rank? For instance, where would a Luke Kunin or Sonny Milano slot in for 2017? Thanks for any advice.
    I think Kunin would be in the top 10. Clearly behind Patrick and Hischier but after that, it's anyone's guess right now.

Milano is more difficult to say but probably somewhere around #15.

Administrator

Honestly I think this draft class gets crapped on too much. It has more to do with the top 2 guys not being at an elite level prospect-wise but that doesn't mean the #10 or #20 guy won't be as good or better as the player drafted at the same spot in past years.

That said I haven't done the research to know where guys like Kunin and Milano would fit. I'm just suggesting we don't go too overboard putting down the entire class of prospects.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Monster

It's not looking like a great draft today but there's always a strong chance some gems emerge. I remember 2011 being considered a weak draft but yet Gaudreau, Kucherov, Schiefele and Hamilton are among the best guys taken. I think Kunin and Milano would be in the 10-20 range probably

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Deity

I have said this many times, when there's no clear cut superstar at the top of the draft class, people want to call the draft class as "weak". I don't buy this one bit. It's too early to say how strong/weak this draft class will be and we probably won't know until 2-3 years after the draft before anyone can honestly say with any type of certainty how strong/weak the draft class will be.

I'm with Daoust in trying to add in prospects from previous draft classes because I haven't done enough research yet outside of the top five-ten players so I am not going to try an insert a kid like Kunin or Milano yet. That being said, I do like both of those kids quite a bit.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

I don't think it's that weak of a class, lots of intriguing options.

I just think we have all been spoiled the last couple of seasons with Mathews/Laine and McDavid/Eichel as possible franchise players, whereas this class has a lot of guys who I could see being very productive, but not necessarily franchise players

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    It's not looking like a great draft today but there's always a strong chance some gems emerge. I remember 2011 being considered a weak draft but yet Gaudreau, Kucherov, Schiefele and Hamilton are among the best guys taken. I think Kunin and Milano would be in the 10-20 range probably
    2011 actually was a weak draft year.

When people say it's a weak draft they compare it to other drafts.

Kucherov was drafted in the 2nd and he's the best player in that draft. That shouldn't happen in todays drafts. That's a weak draft.

Gaudreau was a 4th round and Saad was a 2nd.

It's not to say those guys arent good it's more that it was a weak/uncertain draft. So weak that the top 10 point getters from the draft, 4 of them were drafted in rounds 2-7. 4 in the top 7 actually!!

I bet you won't find another draft like that where 2nd and 4th rounders are outproducing 1st rounders. You'll get maybe 1 or 2...but not 3......especially not 4. It doesn't happen with todays scouting.

That's actually probably the weakest draft in the last decade.

I think this draft will be similar.

Obviously some players will emerge but it's the type of draft where you prefer more darts.

The Great One

Axe nails this for me... How often have we bemoaned a 'weak' class and still had some great players come from it - weak classes tend to be due to the first few guys but generally there are always players that come from each it just becomes even more difficult to predict - who knew that predicting the career of 18 year olds was so difficult... Maybe someone should make a career out of it....
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Ace

2014 to me sticks out. It was supposed to be horrid (ok maybe that's going too far). A bunch of solid to star types have developed already from that year with more supposedly on their way. Someone else (forget who) mentioned the lack of a generational talent etc almost equated to people thinking the draft is weak. That being said, I'm not sure I see a ton in this draft I'm excited about outside of Patrick and maybe a few others.

In the fantasy world, we are often more concerned with the first round and a half of NHL picks - this, IMO is what determines what is a good draft from a fantasy perspective. Any players who come along after that are not guys that we're drafting in most cases, until they've emerged later in their development. With those guys set aside, this is how I would compare this years pedigree and likely progression to years past. I've put some detail into each year with examples of players who've impressed beyond their expectations, as well as some who've disappointed. Obviously more recent years are tougher to judge.

2010 - 7/10 (Seguin, Tarasenko, Kuznetsov - Connolly, Campbell, Hishon)
    Eight all-stars in the first round and a half but this draft is seven years old already, the rest have developed modestly.

2011 - 6/10 (Scheifele, Miller, Klefbom - Strome, Siemens, Noesen)
    There are three all-stars in this first round and a half (IMO Nug was a bit of a gimme simply because of his 1st overall pedigree) the top 10-15 have developed quite well and the rest have developed modestly.

2012 - 4/10 (Galchenyuk, Hertl, Skjei - Yakupov, Koekkoek, Laughton)
    This draft has one legitimate all-star in the first round and a half, the rest have developed fairly poorly relative to other drafts and specific placement.

2013 - 7/10 (Monahan, Horvat, Theodore - Morin, Lazar, Klimchuck)
    Already three all-stars and likely to be more in the future. Almost every 1st rounder will have seem NHL time by the end of this season; some promise from the 2nd round.

2014 - 10/10 (Draisaitl, Ehlers, Pastrnak - Dal Colle, Milano, Kempe)
    This group is still extremely youthful, yet has already proved itself across the board. A very large percentage of the first round will be significant fantasy options by next season.

2015 - 8/10 (McDavid, Eriksson Ek, Werenski - Strome, Zacha, Juulsen)
    Boston made this one a little interesting with their back-to-back-to-back picks in the first round. The verdict is still definitely out on this one because of its youth, and could wind up being a 7 or a 9. Most first rounders are still quite promising. Obviously the McDavid-Eichel factor makes it a little top heavy - Strome's development is starting to become disappointing.

2016 - 7/10 (Matthews, Keller, McAvoy - Dubois, Puljujarvi, Fabbro)
    Past the top 10 it seems like an okay draft, still very early to tell, but some of the 2nd rounders seem to be developing as fast or faster than some of the late first rounders.

2017 - 6/10
    I think what we'll see out of the top 10-20 will be more impactful than what we saw in 2012, but the top 10 certainly will not be as strong as the last 3 years.
    DobberProspects Writer: Ex-Tampa Bay Lightning Prospects, Current New York Rangers Prospects @olaf1393

I might consider 2017 to be a 7/10, but obviously there is a lot of ambiguity in those numbers. The top 10 is relatively weak, and the top 20 is unpredictable - there is no denying that their are a large amount of future 2nd-3rd liners in there though
    DobberProspects Writer: Ex-Tampa Bay Lightning Prospects, Current New York Rangers Prospects @olaf1393

Dobber Sports Expert

I actually like this draft class from 3-12 and from the end of round 1 to the end of round 2. It lacks the top picks but makes up for it with a lot of solid choices. Lots of good goalies and D this year.
    Commish of UNFFHL, dangered species being the sole Panthers fan on Dobber.

Administrator

In other words if 2005 had been Crosby followed by a bunch of fillers it would have been seen as a better draft class than 2017.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Jedi

I'm drafting 6th in one prospect draft. I like several of my options, but the hardest part is trying to determine who might go 3,4,5 to create any plan at all. I likely will shop it to get someone more NHL ready near draft.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Pro

any decent comparables for Patrick and Hischier? Hard to peg a value on them