Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Garth Snow on Olympic participation

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Garth Snow on Olympic participation

Understandably, Snow is pissed. More fuel to the fire on the debate.
    Disclaimer: I support the players participating.

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 12m
    Snow: "It wouldn't matter if we were 10 points up on a playoff spot or 10 points out. We lost our best player and he wasn't playing for us."

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 14m
    More Snow: "It's a joke. They want all the benefits from NHL players in Olympics and don't want to pay when our best player gets hurt."

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 14m
    #Isles GM Garth Snow spitting mad over Tavares' Olympic injury: "Are the IIHF or IOC going to reimburse our season ticket holders now?"

Banned

Default Re: Garth Snow on Olympic participation

what a whiner. NHL-ers should always be in the national jersey. Plain and simple.

I know everyone hates the soccer comparison, but can you imagine a World Cup soccer without the stars there? Oh wait, that's Olympic soccer, and no one cares about it!

Same thing. Its crazy. NHL players belong at Olympics/National games. end of story.

Banned

Maybe Garth should reimburse all of the season-ticket holders himself for putting together such a shitty excuse of a team year after year after year...

Dobber Sports Veteran

I agree. I think the players belong there, and can't imagine any sort of agreement ever "truly" preventing them from going. What could the rule be, that their contracts can be voided if they attend olympic events? Well, seeing as they are all top players that participate, no team will void their contract if they participate.

That said, this does give more ammunition to the debate though, and whether we like it or not, there is and will be a big debate on this for the next olympics.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post
    Maybe Garth should reimburse all of the season-ticket holders himself for putting together such a shitty excuse of a team year after year after year...
    Lol! That is priceless :-)
    League 1: 2021 Dobber Entry (Patrick), Yahoo Roto, 10 Teams
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G start; 5 Bench
    Skaters: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, Hits
    Goalies: W, Saves, GAA

Forwards:
    C: Malkin, ROR, Backstrom
    LW: Forsberg, Parise
    RW: Gallagher, Hornqvist, D Brown, Kessel
    Dual Eligibility: Svechnikov, Jamie Benn, Radulov, Domi, Rakell, Pavelski
    Defense: Hamilton, Letang, OEL, Suter, Spurgeon, Girard
    Goalies: Vasilevskyi, Lehner, Mrazek, Reimer

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post
    I agree. I think the players belong there, and can't imagine any sort of agreement ever "truly" preventing them from going. What could the rule be, that their contracts can be voided if they attend olympic events? Well, seeing as they are all top players that participate, no team will void their contract if they participate.

That said, this does give more ammunition to the debate though, and whether we like it or not, there is and will be a big debate on this for the next olympics.
    Players are going to want to be there though, with the exception of perhaps, MSL.
    League 1: 2021 Dobber Entry (Patrick), Yahoo Roto, 10 Teams
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G start; 5 Bench
    Skaters: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, Hits
    Goalies: W, Saves, GAA

Forwards:
    C: Malkin, ROR, Backstrom
    LW: Forsberg, Parise
    RW: Gallagher, Hornqvist, D Brown, Kessel
    Dual Eligibility: Svechnikov, Jamie Benn, Radulov, Domi, Rakell, Pavelski
    Defense: Hamilton, Letang, OEL, Suter, Spurgeon, Girard
    Goalies: Vasilevskyi, Lehner, Mrazek, Reimer

Dobber Sports Pro

Yep I agree and Boston should have to reimburse Lightning fans for Stamkos injury. And also I get a date with Emily Ratajkowski and free Obamacare for life and six million dollars. And uncanny skating ability.

Dobber Sports Legend

Not that I completely disagree with Snow but he is spouting off like a chump. Refund ticket holders?! The Isles ownership should be embarrassed to charge NHL prices for the teams they've recently iced over years.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post
    That comment right there deserves some rep love! Getting some from me right now. Well said!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

I completely understand where Snow is coming from.... It sucks balls to lose one of the best players in the world while he's not even playing for his team that pays him. Snow has every right to be mad.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Superstar

Weren't the Islanders campaigning, and then upset when Okposo was "snubbed"? Tough to have it both ways there Snow!

Banned

no single man should be denied the privilege to play for his country. Plain and simple. They don't get paid to do so, and its the highest honor an athlete can achieve is to put on the country jersey.

Some injuries are bound to happen, no question. But such is life. get over it. It's not like the Islanders are gonna win the cup this year anyway.

Dobber Sports Sage

Snip! Wrong quote
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Where was Garth Snow before the Olympics when they were talking about this? I don't recall hearing a peep out of him. I think if you're gonna bitch about it, you've gotta bitch about it BEFORE the event.

Everyone knows the risks coming in... every team is in the same position. To be so vocal (and unprofessional) about it after your own player goes down is like crying over spilled milk.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Where was Garth Snow before the Olympics when they were talking about this? I don't recall hearing a peep out of him. I think if you're gonna bitch about it, you've gotta bitch about it BEFORE the event.

Everyone knows the risks coming in... every team is in the same position. To be so vocal (and unprofessional) about it after your own player goes down is like crying over spilled milk.
    This is extremely unfair to Snow. How many owners and GMs are truly excited about their players participating in these games? Sure, they'll say the right thing but I would guess that they keep their true opinions to themselves and hope that their players make it through without injury.

As a Hawks fan, I would pissed to no end if a Blackhawk were lost for the season jeopardizing their Cup chances. But it also comes down to how much you value a gold medal. I have stated before that a gold medal means very little to me in the big picture. Sure, I want the US to win but it is on my mind for 1 or 2 days. I take Stanley Cups win with me the rest of my life.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov