Page 124 of 244 FirstFirst ... 24 74 114 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 134 174 224 ... LastLast
Results 1,846 to 1,860 of 3655

Thread: Ottawa Senators

Banned

Default Re: Ottawa Senators

Anderson was certainly not the only reason the beat the habs. It was basically a complete beat down. But that's the past, doesn't matter now

also Mikael Wikstrands Frolunda is playing Marcus Hogberg's Linkopings in the SHL playoffs. The series is tied 2-2. Wikstrand had 11 points in 19 games for Frolunda since transferring from the second division. Hogberg had a 1.08 GAA and .960 sv % going 4-0 in four games for Linkoping during the regular season.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Sorry man, but there is no one place to lay the blame....

I agree the goalies are struggling heavily compared to last year......but THE whole damn team is awful compared to last year. The two seasons do not compare. I don't care what the stats say, they don't work hard, they don't stand up for each other, they don't get mad, they don't fight back, they don't hit hard, they aren't hard to play against in any way, the defense is absolutely porous, they have no direction, the turnovers are through the roof.....and they whine, they whine way too much.....and me the refs are making them pay for it.

This could be the most frustrating season I have watched.
    REDRUM
    -roto - 10 team - keep 20 of 24 - G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPG, PPA, W, SV, SV%

C - Nathan MacKinnon, Aleksander Barkov, Nick Bjugstad, Jonathon Huberdeau
    LW - Evander Kane, Jaden Schwartz, Brayden Schenn, Chris Kreider, Jonathon Drouin, Sven Baertchi
    RW - Kyle Okposo, Valeri Nichushkin, Gustav Nyquist, Chris Stewart
    D - Oliver Ekman Larsson, Dougie Hamilton, Viktor Hedman, Kevin Shattenkirk, Erik Johnson
    G - Jonathon Bernier, Sergei Bobrovsky, Darcy Kuemper, Robin Lehner

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Anderson was certainly not the only reason the beat the habs. It was basically a complete beat down.
    I Agree, they owned them across the board.....but we are not that team anymore....barely a shadow.
    REDRUM

LW - Evander Kane, Jaden Schwartz, Brayden Schenn, Chris Kreider, Jonathon Drouin, Sven Baertchi
    D - Oliver Ekman Larsson, Dougie Hamilton, Viktor Hedman, Kevin Shattenkirk, Erik Johnson

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Anderson was certainly not the only reason the beat the habs. It was basically a complete beat down. But that's the past, doesn't matter now
    I agree with that. But if it wasn't for Anderson in game 1 (didn't he have 30 saves in the second period alone in that game?), Ottawa doesn't win game 1. Makes it a whole different series.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I agree with that. But if it wasn't for Anderson in game 1 (didn't he have 30 saves in the second period alone in that game?), Ottawa doesn't win game 1. Makes it a whole different series.
    I dunno.. I think I remember Budaj in net, so that may have been the deciding factor!
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Initiate

Last year the goalies bailed them out a lot. I agree. As for Murray, I don't know. I called for his head after the team went down the tank after the cup run, but he has made some great trades and I was wrong. Out of curiosity, how close to the cap are the Senators? Murray can only do what Melnyk authorizes, and it seems to me the additions he made this year were good, and the players he's drafted are good.

And Ev, I agree that Spezza is gone. The fans will have spoken on that one. But we won't be better if we don't have legit top line scorers. We can be competitive (like Nashville and Phoenix always seem to be), but not a threat to win it all. I still believe Spezza can be part of a winner. I agree he won't be, but he could be.
    10-team Keeper. Everyone keeps 12 + 1 G + 3 "young keepers" (players with less than 164 NHL games played), and 1G. Points for G (2), A (2), PIM (.2), Hit (.2), Blk (.2) SHP(1), W(4), SO(8) Must dress 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G

C - Crosby, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Eichel, Johansen
    LW - E. Kane, Drouin, Schenn, Miller, Foligno, Zucker
    RW - Wheeler, Stone, Lindholm, Oshie, Tolvanen
    D - Karlsson, Carlson, Dumba, Nurse, Ceci, Pionk, Larsson, Montour
    G - Murray, Quick, Koskinen, Blackwood, Georgiev

Minors - Turcotte, Bouchard, Kaprizov

Dobber Sports Veteran

It could be worse.....we could be oiler fans....
    REDRUM

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by fulcrum View Post
    It could be worse.....we could be oiler fans....
    Very true!
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
    I don't really know why the "pesky Sens" were winning more last year than this. Is it because it was a wonky half-season without a training camp? Was being huge underdogs a huge motivational X-Factor? I am not sure.

What I do know is that I don't agree with the suggestions above that the team was missing Gonchar, or that Spezza is the problem.

First of all, the Sens offence is near the top of the league in goals/game, very near the top in shots/game, and has a reasonable PP percentage. Where they are terrible is in team defence - shots allowed/game and GA/g indicate that this team has been terrible defensively. I don't really know for sure whether the problem is system or personnel. I would have thought that Karlsson, Cowen and Methot would have all been solid in their own end. Phillips is aging, but still a quality player on most nights. Perhaps it isn't the defensemen, but rather the forwards or the scheme - don't know for sure.

I do know it's not Spezza. Jason Spezza's primary role is to score points. He has always been an offensive player. He is not a grinder, he is not an agitator, he doesn't hit a lot, and he barely fights. That has been the case since they drafted him, and when Murray assembled this team at the start of the year, he knew exactly what to expect from Spezza. Spezza has delivered this year. The notion that he doesn't have the right "identity" or "leadership ability" seems, and I am sorry if this is harsh, complete BS. People need to stop trying to make Spezza into something he is not. What he does bring to the team is a playmaking ability up front that far surpasses any of the other forwards. That is reflected in the fact that Ottawa can, in fact, score a lot of goals. What they need is to stop allowing so many.

I really don't understand how anyone could think losing Gonchar led to this year's problems. Gonchar is too old. He's not the player he was when the Penguins had him. Even when he played for us, I thought he was a liability in his own zone. Quite frankly, Ceci is already better than Gonchar was last year. I was happy to see him go. Great career, maybe a hall of famer, and he deserves a lot of respect...but he's done.

As for Alfie...of course it hurts to lose him. I love Alfredsson as much as anyone, but let's not look back with rose-coloured glasses. This is a team that was, for several years, a regular-season powerhouse that always choked in the playoffs. A lot of people were calling Ottawa soft and questioning Alfie's leadership until the Sabres series in 2007, when he appeared to take the team on his back and willed him through that series. But when they faced the Ducks, they were beat up, bullied, and humiliated. (I will try to refrain from giving you my thoughts on the wisdom of the hockey culture's insistence that penalties should not be called in the May the way they are in November.) Now, Alfie does not deserve all the credit for beating Buffalo, and he doesn't deserve all the blame for losing to the Ducks. But the fact remains, Ottawa did not win the cup during his tenure, and they consistently choked in the playoffs....they had some great teams when Alfie was the captain....far better than the team on the ice this year.

Last year Alfie let it slip that he did not believe they could come back and defeat the Penguins. To me, if that was really his mindset, then it was time to move on. I want a Captain that believes the Sens can win, even if most people would call the belief delusional.

Spezza has had one year as captain. He has won faceoffs, and scored points. He is not the problem. As for his teammates 'watching how he plays', or not working as hard for him as they would for Alfie.....I mean come on. These are professional athletes, making millions, most of whom know what hard work and commitment is (If they didn't, they never would have made it to the NHL). If they need Spezza to motivate them to do their jobs well, then they should probably find a different career. Every single one of them knows about sacrifice, determination, persistence, and hard-work.

I don't buy that Spezz is the problem.

Improve the defence. Murray will have to decide if that means personnel or system. The worst thing they could do is blame it all on Lehner and give up on the kid.

One last thing - Bieksa is one of my favorite players in the league and I would be beside myself if he got traded to Ottawa....but I can't see the Canucks moving him unless they are really going to blow it up and move the Sedins.

This sucks! They lost to Dallas again today! People need to be accountable for this "train-wreck" of a season, but laying the blame at Spezza's feet would be an irrational cop-out. Stop expecting Spezza to be Toews or Iginla. We know what he is. Murray knows. Its Murray's job to put guys around Jason that can lead to team success.
    +1 to this post. Thoughts, opinions, reasoning and rationale.

I maintain that there will be a major overhaul this summer to the Ottawa Senators and Spezza will be at the forefront of it all. He is exactly what you said he is and that is a point producer - always has been and always will be. I just don't think he plays the game the way that fits the other 22 players on the active roster and how the management wants the game to be played. With Spezza gone - it doesn't matter what the return is (decent anyway you look at it) - the team will have more success in my opinion. You just can't have your captain (and his line) playing a complete different system than the rest of the team.

As far as Bieksa goes, I published my list of players I could see coming to Ottawa and it wouldn't shock me if two struggling Canadian franchises got together for a blockbuster. Bieksa or Edler would be perfect.

I can't find my post while I'm typing this message, but I suspect Spezza, Methot, Hemsky, Kassian, Michalek, Prince and Borowiecki may all be gone via trade or not re-signed. Maybe Wiercioch too, but I think that would be a mistake so I am leaving him off the list. Before people slam the Hemsky trade Ottawa made this trade deadline, they can trade him (and the rights to negotiate) and recover at least the 5th they gave to get him. It was worth the risk this deadline.

This is my early prediction for lines next season:

MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
    Burrows - O'Reilly - Stewart
    Hoffman - Zibanejad - Stone
    Greening - Smith - Neil
    Da Costa - Pageau

Edler - Karlsson
    Cowen - Wiercioch
    Phillips - Ceci
    Gryba

Meh, way too early for this. Just killing time and wanted to respond to your quality post.

Dobber Sports Genius

Oh and unsustainable, unreal goaltending and decreased shot quality was the main difference between last season success and this seasons abomination in my opinion.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I definitely agree that the goaltending last year was ridiculous.

Tonight's win was great. They killed off an OT penalty that was a deflating, poor call. I am glad I got home in time to catch most of the game.

Assuming Ottawa doesn't get in, will any if you be rooting for the Leafs or Habs to bring the Cup to Canada?
    10-team Keeper. Everyone keeps 12 + 1 G + 3 "young keepers" (players with less than 164 NHL games played), and 1G. Points for G (2), A (2), PIM (.2), Hit (.2), Blk (.2) SHP(1), W(4), SO(8) Must dress 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G

C - Crosby, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Eichel, Johansen
    LW - E. Kane, Drouin, Schenn, Miller, Foligno, Zucker
    RW - Wheeler, Stone, Lindholm, Oshie, Tolvanen
    D - Karlsson, Carlson, Dumba, Nurse, Ceci, Pionk, Larsson, Montour
    G - Murray, Quick, Koskinen, Blackwood, Georgiev

Minors - Turcotte, Bouchard, Kaprizov

Dobber Sports Expert

So, does Wiercioch finally get in tomorrow? Is Phillips going to be able to play? I can't believe the kid doesn't get a chance.
    12 -Team Yahoo, Points Pool, Keeper (Since 1995): G(1), A(1), PPG(1), SHG(1) GWG(1), W(2), SHO(3). Protect 13 each season.

C (4): Hayes, Bonino, White, Bozak
    LW (4): Aho, Huberdeau, K Connor, Gourde
    RW (4): Perry, Boeser, Tuch, Zucker
    F (1):Labanc
    D (4): Barrie, Theodore, Faulk, Shattenkirk
    G (1): Lehner

Bench: (C) Kerfoot, (RW) Silfverberg, (LW) Bertuzzi (D) Q Hughes, R Murray, D'Angelo (G) Demko, Markstrom,

Dobber Sports Stud

Tonight's win was great. They killed off an OT penalty that was a deflating, poor call. I am glad I got home in time to catch most of the game.

Assuming Ottawa doesn't get in, will any if you be rooting for the Leafs or Habs to bring the Cup to Canada?
    Nope! I'l take a Cherry stance, and root for Canadian players, rather then teams. I also like Boston because of the Ottawa ties.
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by bumchilly25 View Post
    So, does Wiercioch finally get in tomorrow? Is Phillips going to be able to play? I can't believe the kid doesn't get a chance.
    Wiercioch is in tonight, yes.

Dobber Sports Genius

Assuming??? Ottawa doesn't get in, will any if you be rooting for the Leafs or Habs to bring the Cup to Canada?
    Haha. Assuming Ottawa doesn't get in. Good one.

No, will never cheer for those 2 teams.

And I don't think any Canadian team will win the Cup in the Bettman era.