Thread: Time to drop Halak?

Dobber Sports Star

Default Time to drop Halak?

I'm carrying 4 goalies and despite that, I get hammered each week in that dept. I just don't see Halak being of any value going forward. I could use that slot for an extra skater. Any insight?

10 team H2H !Y League (4 keepers - at least 1 must be a D-man OR Goalie)
    Start - 2C, 2L, 2R, 1U, 3D, 2G, 6Bench,​ 2IR, 2IR+ (Daily) (5 moves per week)
    Skaters - G, A, +/-, PPP,
    PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    Goalies - Wins, Saves, S%, GAA (Min. 4 starts)
    Championships 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016, 2017,
    2019*, 2023

C-McDavid, Trocheck, Suzuki
    L-B.Tkachuk(C/L), Forsberg,
    Konecny(L/R)
    R-Hyman(L/R), Svechnikov(L/R), P. Kane
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi,
    G-​​DeSmith, Thompson, Hill
    IR
    -Demko

Dobber Sports Genius

I guess it all depends on who is availble for you to pick up if you drop Halak? If there is no one relevent then I would hold on to him. Halak will start on Saturday and I think that will be his defining moment for the rest of the year. If he plays great then he will be great the rest of the year. If he plays bad then he will be bad for the rest of the year.
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Really?!

Are we really at the point here where a prospect goalie can come up, have a few decent games and displace an established excellent NHL netminder?

Halak is still the #1 and is being paid as one. Fullstop.

Dropping him now because Allen has stolen a few starts could potentially be a big mistake. I'm not saying Jake Allen is not the real deal, because maybe he (only maybe) he is.

Look at this like you're playing the stock market. We have a stock that has been an excellent performer over the last few years. The price of said stock plateaus and even dips a bit, for no known reason. The fundamentals on that stock haven't changed. People begin to panic....and guess what the smart money is doing......backing up the truck on that stock.

Jake Allen is the "Facebook at IPO" stock.

Halak is the Apple

Elliott is the RIMM

If you were in my pool and looking to sell low on Halak....I'd back up the truck. Hell, I'd probably even trade you Jake Allen for him.

Dobber Sports Newbie

I think the stock comparison is insightful. It is not accurate. You will not keep Halak with one of your four. Making him UFA, no long term gain available.
    19 games left. How many starts will get? St. Louis has shown that they will run with what is working. Without looking at back to back games, giving the full workload it would be 15 starts, and splitting 10. The current situation looks even worse. I do think that a great performance Sat. could change things in his favor. I am waiting for his next start to make a decision myself. His potential over the remaining games is higher than anything you can obtain, so we are back to the stock comparison....
    j.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyimpala View Post
    I think the stock comparison is insightful. It is not accurate. You will not keep Halak with one of your four. Making him UFA, no long term gain available.
    19 games left. How many starts will get? St. Louis has shown that they will run with what is working. Without looking at back to back games, giving the full workload it would be 15 starts, and splitting 10. The current situation looks even worse. I do think that a great performance Sat. could change things in his favor. I am waiting for his next start to make a decision myself. His potential over the remaining games is higher than anything you can obtain, so we are back to the stock comparison....
    j.
    OP... this is pretty good advice.

Halak's downside has been his save percentage. His goals against and 5-3 record is still good, along with 2 shutouts. They struggled with Elliott but Allen keeps winning. The kid is good but I'm sure Hitchcock despite his "we're going with who wins us games" attitude, will want Halak for the playoff run. It's a shortened season though, so whoever is winning will play. However, my gut says Hitch will look for opportuities to get Halak back to #1 status, but he still has to earn it.

Dobber Sports Star

Ok, here's a what if.....Vokoun is available and starting tonight. I could drop Halak for him and get a much needed start TONIGHT and hopefully a much needed win. I'm hanging on to the last playoff spot by a thread and I'm currently H2H with the guy only a hand full of points behind in 7th place. EVERY cat I can grab will help. Even if Halak is starting tomorrow I have Quick and Bobrovsky playing as well.

PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    2019*, 2023

Konecny(L/R)
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi,
    IR
    -Demko

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by islefan31 View Post
    Ok, here's a what if.....Vokoun is available and starting tonight. I could drop Halak for him and get a much needed start TONIGHT and hopefully a much needed win. I'm hanging on to the last playoff spot by a thread and I'm currently H2H with the guy only a hand full of points behind in 7th place. EVERY cat I can grab will help. Even if Halak is starting tomorrow I have Quick and Bobrovsky playing as well.
    Bob is starting tonight, I know he has been awesome but what If he does not start tommorow?

Dobber Sports Star

So I made the switch (I'm sure I'll regret the move) and it has payed off for now. The win last night lowered my GAA, increased my save total and added to my wins. I went from being down 7-4 to being up 8-5 with some other help. I have 3 goalies going tonight so I'm hoping I have at least 2 starts from that as well. Depending on who starts Halak probably wouldn't play for me anyway. If I win this week I'm all but a lock to make the playoffs.So maybe this was a small price to pay.

Thanks for your help.

PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    2019*, 2023

Konecny(L/R)
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi,
    IR
    -Demko

Dobber Sports Star

And so maybe now the regret begins. Halak post a shutout (granted on very few shots) and Bobs get's shelled and yanked.

PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    2019*, 2023

Konecny(L/R)
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi,
    IR
    -Demko

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by islefan31 View Post
    And so maybe now the regret begins. Halak post a shutout (granted on very few shots) and Bobs get's shelled and yanked.
    Ya, that sounds about right! It's a crap shoot for all but the very few elite goalies. Then they go down and spend a month or more on IR! All you can do is try.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    Ya, that sounds about right! It's a crap shoot for all but the very few elite goalies. Then they go down and spend a month or more on IR! All you can do is try.
    So true Bubba, but even my elite let me down this year.

PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    2019*, 2023

Konecny(L/R)
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi,
    IR
    -Demko

Dobber Sports Newbie

shutout win plus assist. You think he wants the #1 job back?