Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trade Mediation

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Trade Mediation

Me and another manager in my league have been trying to make a trade to no avail, and I was hoping that some people here on the forms could kind of act as a mediator to put up some hypothetical offers that we could use as a starting point.

Here is his roster, mine is in my signature.
    C: Krejci, Desharnais, Roy, O.Jokinen
    LW: Parise, Eriksson, Semin, Mcdonald
    RW: Perry, Neal, MSL, Sharp
    D: Letang, Buff, Chara, Green, Yandle, Suter
    G: Rask, Niemi
    Bench: B.Boyle, Okposo, Ellis, Backstrom, Khudobin
    Farm (4): Granlund, Grigorenko, Coyle, Niederreiter

I am looking to acquire a defenceman (let's say Letang for simplicity) and he wants a centerman.
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.5), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Fall River's Finest
    C(3): Malkin, Kesler, Hanzal
    LW(3): Lucic, Perron, Chimera
    RW(3): Eberle, R. Smith, Doan
    F(3): Stafford (RW), Parenteau (RW), Eakin (C)
    D(6): S. Weber, Suter, Giordano, Yandle, Chara, Polak
    G(1): Miller [+ Niemi, Zatkoff]
    Bench: Filppula (C), Ferland (LW), Stalberg (LW), Weise (RW)

Prospects(10): Roy (C), Tambellini (C), Andreoff (LW), Jensen (LW), Sorensen (RW), Morin (RW), DeMelo (D), Berube (G), Campbell (G)

Dobber Sports Ace

Letang for Kesler. BANG!

Both always injured, both dependant on other players to get big points, both should get okay numbers in the other categories.

You have a ton of well-rounded DMen to cover over the chance Letang has a monster 65pt season. He has a ton of centers to cover if Kesler gets back to 70pts.

And yes, I know it's not this easy.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
    Letang for Kesler. BANG!

Both always injured, both dependant on other players to get big points, both should get okay numbers in the other categories.

You have a ton of well-rounded DMen to cover over the chance Letang has a monster 65pt season. He has a ton of centers to cover if Kesler gets back to 70pts.

And yes, I know it's not this easy.
    Creepy. That's what I was thinking too.

Dobber Sports Veteran

And another Bang...Kesler for Letang sort of jumped out, I scrolled down & Bang
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett, Strome, Haula
    LW: Draisaitl-C, Stutzle-C, Kaprizov, E.Kane
    RW: Marner I/R,T.Thompson-C, Necas-C, Svechnikov-RW/LW, Hathaway
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Gudas, Benoit, Schneider, Burroughs
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson
    4 weekly minimum start’s required
    I/R: Sergachev

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White

The Wolverine

First of all, is this a H2H or Roto league? How many IR slots? It could make a difference and I suggest adding them to your signature as well.

If I had that roster and willing to give up a top defenseman (this is key to know first), I'd be looking for a more offensive/reliable centreman than Kesler, so probably would target at least Toews. That could be a good starting point for a 2-for-2 offer, with another depth D/C involved to keep the roster balance.

Dobber Sports Ace

I am the other GM. It's weekly starts H2H league. With 2 IR spots (likely will have Roy and Backstrom there). Because its not Roto I don't mind punting FOW.

I would probably not trade Letang (with hits/bs/ppp) a stud dmen straight up for Kesler coming off wrist and shoulder surgery, until hes proven healthy. Like horror fan suggested, Kesler isn't even the number one offensive centre on the Canucks.

Hard to trade for injured players in the offseason.

But continue to make suggestions, will definitely take them into consideration.
    Last edited by cdubb; November 16, 2012 at 4:34 AM.
    Semi-retired

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by twall View Post
    Me and another manager in my league have been trying to make a trade to no avail,
    Quote Originally Posted by cdubb View Post
    I am the other GM.
    Ah ok - now we have both on here.

Well firstly, I would have to say that no matter what we suggest, it'll come down to your own needs and evaluations. That being said, if you do want the forum's help to make suggestions, it would help to know what the negotiations have been like already, including what has been proposed. If you are far apart in valuations/philosophy, then it'll take more than us making suggestions.

Generally speaking, you need to keep negotiations focused on what you both are trying to achieve. It's one thing to say a) looking for a centre vs b) looking for a defenseman. People value players, categories, roster structure differently so that needs to be the focus before throwing out more names. For example, cdubb, you saying that you are willing to punt FOW means Toews' value could change, because it's down to your needs.

I suggest you sort out that first between yourselves, unless that is already clear. But give us more information so we're not making stabs in the dark.

Dobber Sports Ace

I don't mind getting Toews' FOW (or Tavares, Spezza, etc) but I am not desperate to overpay.

Here are the 2 most recent trade offers I proposed in the last month
    - Green for Kesler (both injury prone with very high upside)
    - Chara for Toews (both solid in peripherals). I had just traded Berglund, Tarasenko, Wisniewski+ for him.

He had been discussing O'Reilly+ for one of Buff/Chara/Letang, and my counteroffer was turned down when I suggested the "+" should be Tavares . Just don't think too highly of O'Reilly
    Last edited by cdubb; November 16, 2012 at 5:44 AM.
    Semi-retired

Dobber Sports Deity

I like the Green for Kesler deal for the exact reasons you listed. There's significant risk for both parties but also the possibility for significant rewards for both as well.

If I was a Letang owner, I dont think I would deal him for Kesler myself, so I can appreciate your apprehension to make that deal.

As far as O'Reilly, I am not sure why you dont see his upside. That kid is the real deal.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Giant

the green for kessler could work.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    As far as O'Reilly, I am not sure why you dont see his upside. That kid is the real deal.
    I wouldn't have taken that deal either. I love O'Reilly as much as anyone, but not for Byfuglien, Letang, or Chara. O'Reilly doesn't have the elite upside of any of those three. He works his ass off, but at best he's a number 2 C on a relatively weak team. The + would have to be significant for me as well.
    Setting up the play.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by thatbirdguy View Post
    I wouldn't have taken that deal either. I love O'Reilly as much as anyone, but not for Byfuglien, Letang, or Chara. O'Reilly doesn't have the elite upside of any of those three. He works his ass off, but at best he's a number 2 C on a relatively weak team. The + would have to be significant for me as well.
    I agree with this.
    Also my first thoughts are, it sounds like people are trying to make a trade just for sake of making a trade. You want letang, but he doesn't really want anything you're willing to give. Green for Kesler seems like a lateral move at best. If I had to make a hypothetical trade scenario I would do:

Letang & Granlund
    for
    Lucic & Atkinson

His team could use more Hits from his FWDs and you need an top tier D on the back end.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Dobber Sports Deity

"He had been discussing O'Reilly+ for one of Buff/Chara/Letang, and my counteroffer was turned down when I suggested the "+" should be Tavares . Just don't think too highly of O'Reilly"

I agree when you say he isnt worth one of those 3 straight up. It wasnt offered to the OP that way and that wasnt what I was trying to say. If thats the way it came across, my bad.

The OP said he wasnt too high on O'Reilly. All I was trying to say is that O'Reilly is a quality player and is worth considering in a deal that includes a + for one of those 3 Dmen. That being said, the OP's + of Tavares I am going to assume is his attempt at politely saying no thanks to O'Reilly. I dont know the reasons why he dosent like O'Reilly. Personally I am a fan and if the + coming the other way was another quality player, it would be an offer I would have considered.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    The OP said he wasnt too high on O'Reilly. All I was trying to say is that O'Reilly is a quality player and is worth considering in a deal that includes a + for one of those 3 Dmen. That being said, the OP's + of Tavares I am going to assume is his attempt at politely saying no thanks to O'Reilly. I dont know the reasons why he dosent like O'Reilly. Personally I am a fan and if the + coming the other way was another quality player, it would be an offer I would have considered.
    Perhaps I play in shallower 8 & 12 team leagues but O'Reilly wasnt even drafted in those leagues, and isn't a guaranteed first line C on Colorado.

For "O'Reilly+", the "+" was never described/specified. Letang is a top Dman with these cats, and I wasn't planning to trade him for a player that is the 5th C on the other guys bench. I am not sure he would even be considered a keeper for me.

Fantrax ratings skews in favor of C, hence Weiss ranked 16, Plekanec 21, Kesler 22, Ribeiro 35, and Jokinen 37. Heck even Laich is 60, Desharnais 67, THEN O'Reilly at 68.

O'Reilly was the 37th ranked C, meanwhile Chara was 3rd D, Byfuglien 9th D in 66 games, Letang 16th D in 51 games.

Twall and I do have different valuations of players (reflected in our team drafts) and that's why we thought opinions from respected Dobber posters might help us compromise.
    Semi-retired

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by robmyatt View Post
    . Green for Kesler seems like a lateral move at best. .
    It's not lateral because he would vastly improve his D, and could play O'Reilly (who everyone else likes) at C.

Same thinking as my brother about his fantasy football team. We are both tied for first. His roster is loaded at WR/RB with Foster, Martin, Charles, Aj Green, James Jones, Amendola, T. smith, T.Young. His TE is Brandon Myers (who?).

At most he could play 6 of those 8 guys. Yet he refuses to trade a spare WR (I have Jennings & Brown hurt) for Witten because he says he doesn't need a good TE to win. I say he's not using extra resources wisely.
    Last edited by cdubb; November 16, 2012 at 10:18 AM.
    Semi-retired