Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do I Cut Elliott?

Administrator

Default Do I Cut Elliott?

I'm having a really tough time keeping perspective on this situation as I recently acquired Elliott in a trade and I would HATE to drop him only to have him blow up again and ruin my handcuff on the St. Louis situation.

Here's the deal. I'm in an eight team keeper league with scoring as follows:

Goals, Assists, Plus/Minus, PPP, PIM, SOG, GWG, Wins, Save%, GAA

I have Halak, Smith, Ward and Elliott in goal and we start two daily. I also have Jake Allen stashed in my minors but this being a Yahoo! league it would cost me one of my two weekly moves if I ever wanted to call him up.

Ideally I would have the sort of goalie tandem where I just have two guys and crush the two averages categories while remaining competitive in Wins but that just isn't going to happen with my goalies so that makes three the more ideal number. I've kind of had to carry four because up until recently I had Kiprusoff instead of Smith. Now that I have Smith and Halak is healthy I am feeling some confidence in my goalies.

Just for perspective here's how the rest of the league shakes out in goal:

Team One

Lundqvist
    Brodeur
    Crawford
    Lehtonen - IR

Team Two

Schneider
    Price
    Quick

Team Three

Howard
    Dubnyk
    Nabokov
    Holtby

Team Four

Rask
    Backstrom
    Varlamov
    Reimer - IR

Team Five

Niemi
    Bryzgalov
    Fasth

Team Six

Luongo
    Fleury
    Anderson
    Thomas

Team Seven

Rinne
    Miller
    Theodore

So as you can see there isn't necessarily a team out there that would scoop up Elliott if I did ditch him but I still hate the idea of losing my handcuff. What are your thoughts? After losing Karlsson and Spezza and trading Semin for Smith I could definitely use the extra skater help.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Wizard

are there any skaters that require an immediate move before someone else notices

i mean i know i am in a 6 team league an i know there is usually pretty good pickings out there

Dobber Sports Pro

Emery and Vokoun are both available? If I'm an opposing GM, I am just as likely, or more so, to add them before Elliott.

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Pro

I personally would keep the handcuff and see if you have any takers on Ward or Smith. Moving one of those guys to get a strong Fwd back might be a good approach. My only concern is that other than (maybe) team 5 there isn't any teams that have a strong need for another starter.

With Halak's injuries and Hitchcock's approach to splitting the workload I would hold on the handcuff approach and test the waters for FWD help via trading Smith or Ward.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    are there any skaters that require an immediate move before someone else notices

i mean i know i am in a 6 team league an i know there is usually pretty good pickings out there
    There's decent talent available but nothing urgent. Plekanec would have been that guy but he just got scooped.

Here's a list of the top available guys that I would consider:

Hemsky
    Wilson
    Ott
    Clowe
    Ladd
    Tlusty
    Berglund
    Brouwer
    Boedker
    Pouliot
    McGinn

There are actually plenty of good D available but I'm sitting on a D comprised of:

Green
    Pietrangelo
    Streit
    Edler
    Zidlicky

I'd probably pick up Visnovsky instead of Zidlicky if not for having Streit but I'm not going there with already having Streit. For the sake of it here are the top D available:

Greene
    Goligoski
    Bieksa
    Salo

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Ross The Boss Palmer View Post
    Emery and Vokoun are both available? If I'm an opposing GM, I am just as likely, or more so, to add them before Elliott.
    That's a very good point.

Dobber Sports Wizard

if there is no rush give elliott one game and if its another stinker move on

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    if there is no rush give elliott one game and if its another stinker move on
    My sense of urgency is this - I'm in second and playing the team in first in a really tight battle. I've got a lock on 2/3 goalie categories (punting wins at this point even down just one) and could make up some ground in the skater categories with some crafty pickups. I only get one shot at him before the playoffs and I'd like to make it count. There is prize money for the President's Trophy.

Dobber Sports Giant

i like to keep the handcuff.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    My sense of urgency is this - I'm in second and playing the team in first in a really tight battle. I've got a lock on 2/3 goalie categories (punting wins at this point even down just one) and could make up some ground in the skater categories with some crafty pickups. I only get one shot at him before the playoffs and I'd like to make it count. There is prize money for the President's Trophy.
    If it's urgent, then I think you do it now. Obviously, it's a huge IF about Halak remaining healthy, but I'd cut your handcuff away and pick up one of those forwards. Hemsky, another band aid boy is certainly at the top of that heap for me.

Good luck!
    12 -Team Yahoo, Points Pool, Keeper (Since 1995): G(1), A(1), PPG(1), SHG(1) GWG(1), W(2), SHO(3). Protect 13 each season.

C (4): Hayes, Bonino, White, Bozak
    LW (4): Aho, Huberdeau, K Connor, Gourde
    RW (4): Perry, Boeser, Tuch, Zucker
    F (1):Labanc
    D (4): Barrie, Theodore, Faulk, Shattenkirk
    G (1): Lehner

Bench: (C) Kerfoot, (RW) Silfverberg, (LW) Bertuzzi (D) Q Hughes, R Murray, D'Angelo (G) Demko, Markstrom,

Dobber Sports Ninja

Looking at the other teams in the league I can't see anyone else wanting to pick up Elliott the way he's been playing and considering who they'd have to drop if they want to grab him. Someone else brought up the great point that Emery and Vokoun are still available as well.

Team 3 would be the only team that would want to improve their goaltending but at this point I don't even know if Elliott would be an improvement over any of the guys he already has. (Also weird, guy in my one-year leagues also owns Howard/Dubnyk/Nabokov).

Have no idea wtf Team 6 is doing holding THomas.

I'd grab either Ladd/Hemsky/Tlusty, probably in that order.

I'd also drop Zidlicky for Visnovsky or Goligoski. Suck it up lol.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    ok so drop him and if his next game is a solid one you can get him after the week is over

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    Looking at the other teams in the league I can't see anyone else wanting to pick up Elliott the way he's been playing and considering who they'd have to drop if they want to grab him. Someone else brought up the great point that Emery and Vokoun are still available as well.

Team 3 would be the only team that would want to improve their goaltending but at this point I don't even know if Elliott would be an improvement over any of the guys he already has. (Also weird, guy in my one-year leagues also owns Howard/Dubnyk/Nabokov).

Have no idea wtf Team 6 is doing holding THomas.

I'd grab either Ladd/Hemsky/Tlusty, probably in that order.

I'd also drop Zidlicky for Visnovsky or Goligoski. Suck it up lol.
    Oh I've been chirping Team 6 about Thomas since before the season but whatever, his funeral.

As for Zidlicky, dude has been wildly productive of late and is on a very favourable schedule this week. I probably rotate him out as part of my strategy to have one D position as an "ever-rotating" one but this week it's Zid's turn.

Dobber Sports Expert

James Mirtle‏@mirtle

Blues send Jake Allen back down. Halak healthy and likely to take over crease now.

Retweeted by Spector's Hockey
    12 -Team Yahoo, Points Pool, Keeper (Since 1995): G(1), A(1), PPG(1), SHG(1) GWG(1), W(2), SHO(3). Protect 13 each season.

C (4): Hayes, Bonino, White, Bozak
    LW (4): Aho, Huberdeau, K Connor, Gourde
    RW (4): Perry, Boeser, Tuch, Zucker
    F (1):Labanc
    D (4): Barrie, Theodore, Faulk, Shattenkirk
    G (1): Lehner

Bench: (C) Kerfoot, (RW) Silfverberg, (LW) Bertuzzi (D) Q Hughes, R Murray, D'Angelo (G) Demko, Markstrom,

Administrator

Smelliott is gone!