Thread: Injured Players in a shortened season

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Injured Players in a shortened season

Question guys.

So now that the schedule is set, I was adjusting my lineup for week 1. I read that Laich if out for at least two weeks to start the season.

My concern is whether or not to keep him around at all and wait for him to get healthy or cut my losses and move on. With the season being so short, every play matters and I'm not sure if I can afford to keep him around... thoughts?

team in sig.
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'm not expecting much from Laich out of Washington at all. I wouldn't want him on my healthy team. Mind you I'm used to fantasy point leagues, not sure if he's big on BS/SHP?

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jross View Post
    I'm not expecting much from Laich out of Washington at all. I wouldn't want him on my healthy team. Mind you I'm used to fantasy point leagues, not sure if he's big on BS/SHP?
    Mind expanding on why you are so low on Laich?
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Dobber Sports Monster

He's out 2 weeks.

He's a player that can help you down the stretch.

What are some options that are available in free agent pool?

Dobber Sports Expert

Laich is a decent point producer (40-50) and his block shots and faceoffs are awesome. Not much PP time, but he is a penalty killer. I loved him on my team last season (finished 3rd) and with my improvements this season, I want him for those stats. It is just hard to stick with a guy that is already injured. especially with a subsequent "nagging groin"...

there are actually lots of guys:

Doan
    Alfy
    Simmonds
    B Schenn
    Fisher

600+ faceoffs and 92 Blocked Shots might be hard to replace.
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper

Dobber Sports Demi-God

So Gaborlick do you have IR slots in your league? If you do, it might make sense for to you to coast to the start of the season to see if the Caps put him on IR so you can tuck him in.

But he is not a guy I would be too concerned about losing once he is ready to go - keep a very close on him on FA after you cut him and be the first one to grab him. I think given you could use a LW with 3 starters there I would grab whichever guy will give you LW status for now and let him go. You probably want to run a C in that utility spot as often as you can to compensate for FOW, because you look relatively studly in the other skater cats.

Dobber Sports Stud

Lose him, especially if you have no IR spot for him. If you are looking for faceoffs and blocked shots Fisher is a great add in replacement of him, and in my opinion a better one.

Fisher and Laich should put up similar faceoffs and blocked shots, but Fisher should also be better in points, goals, assists, and PP points. Pick up Fisher before someone else nabs him.

Honestly from the guys you presented they all look like better options than Laich, but with you wanting faceoff wins, it becomes obvious that Fisher is your man.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Essej View Post
    Lose him, especially if you have no IR spot for him. If you are looking for faceoffs and blocked shots Fisher is a great add in replacement of him, and in my opinion a better one.

Fisher and Laich should put up similar faceoffs and blocked shots, but Fisher should also be better in points, goals, assists, and PP points. Pick up Fisher before someone else nabs him.

Honestly from the guys you presented they all look like better options than Laich, but with you wanting faceoff wins, it becomes obvious that Fisher is your man.
    Don't underestimate the value of FOW from a wing slot - it brings Laich's value up substantially in a league that differentiates forward positions and has FOW as a cat. But yeah I would be letting him go. I'm lucky I just traded him away yesterday.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Gaborlick View Post
    Laich is a decent point producer (40-50) and his block shots and faceoffs are awesome. Not much PP time, but he is a penalty killer. I loved him on my team last season (finished 3rd) and with my improvements this season, I want him for those stats. It is just hard to stick with a guy that is already injured. especially with a subsequent "nagging groin"...

there are actually lots of guys:

Doan
    Alfy
    Simmonds
    B Schenn
    Fisher

600+ faceoffs and 92 Blocked Shots might be hard to replace.
    I'd drop Laich for Simmonds or Schenn in a heartbeat, health or not.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Don't underestimate the value of FOW from a wing slot - it brings Laich's value up substantially in a league that differentiates forward positions and has FOW as a cat. But yeah I would be letting him go. I'm lucky I just traded him away yesterday.
    Didn't realize that Laich had dual eligibilty, I know on Yahoo he's only a center. Now it makes sense to me as to why he had Laich on his team. I agree when you have a player that is a center, that has winger eiligibility it's huge, as you can play then at wing along with your centers, to rack up a greater total of faceoff wins. But end of the day Fisher is a better player than him, and brings the same game to the table, but at a higher level.

Simmonds is also a great get, and there's nothing wrong with veterans Doan and Alfredsson, and young Brayden Schenn.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Essej View Post
    Didn't realize that Laich had dual eligibilty, I know on Yahoo he's only a center. Now it makes sense to me as to why he had Laich on his team. I agree when you have a player that is a center, that has winger eiligibility it's huge, as you can play then at wing along with your centers, to rack up a greater total of faceoff wins. But end of the day Fisher is a better player than him, and brings the same game to the table, but at a higher level.

Simmonds is also a great get, and there's nothing wrong with veterans Doan and Alfredsson, and young Brayden Schenn.
    Ahh, I haven't check in the new season, he was a C/LW last year. Just a C now...
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    So Gaborlick do you have IR slots in your league? If you do, it might make sense for to you to coast to the start of the season to see if the Caps put him on IR so you can tuck him in.

But he is not a guy I would be too concerned about losing once he is ready to go - keep a very close on him on FA after you cut him and be the first one to grab him. I think given you could use a LW with 3 starters there I would grab whichever guy will give you LW status for now and let him go. You probably want to run a C in that utility spot as often as you can to compensate for FOW, because you look relatively studly in the other skater cats.
    We do have two IR spots. It is part of the reason I kind of want to hold on to him. But in my gut, it seems like a waste of time. There are some options out there right now for replacement and I can imagine those will disappear quickly as more injuries occur and the season starts.
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper

Dobber Sports Expert

I decided on Fisher.