Page 50 of 89 FirstFirst ... 40 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 60 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Sabres

Dobber Sports Veteran

I haven't really noticed Grigorenko. Which is good and bad. Aside from that penalty he drew in the first game, that is.

How do you think he's doing Bomm? Needs a game or two to adjust or is he headed back to junior this year?
    Yahoo 1 Year Leagues:
    G, A, PIM, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 4Bn, 1IR

Dobber Sports Guru

The Sabres are looking good this year. Miller was awesome last night and they kept the leafs to the outside all night long and gave up very few scoring chances. The only times the leafs had any decent chances were when they had PP's or the goalie pulled at the end. That Ott signing is looking very smart.

On another note: Man it was weird watching Orr fight Scott, Orr is usually the big guy last night he looked like a midget.

Default News & Notes - 1/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
    On another note: Man it was weird watching Orr fight Scott, Orr is usually the big guy last night he looked like a midget.
    Not being very familiar at all with Scott's previous battles, I am really amazed at the sheer mass. Look at this photo from last night's fight...

It's just not fair, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas0Aequitas View Post
    I haven't really noticed Grigorenko. Which is good and bad. Aside from that penalty he drew in the first game, that is.

How do you think he's doing Bomm? Needs a game or two to adjust or is he headed back to junior this year?
    Yeah, thanks V-O-A, fair question. Short answer: So far, so good. Which allows for a nice segue into my updates....

• Ruff is more than fine w/ Grig's performance, thus far. He does not expect Grigs to prove his worth in five games. In fact, in being interviewed today, Ruff said he wants Grigs to just play his game.
    • Ruff went on to say he has been pleased with his defensive performance, has showed both good physicality and responsible in own zone.
    • Grigorenko wound up w/ 13 TOI last night...not too shabby for an 18 yr old.
    • So as long as he continues to play as he has, he'll stick. Another thing you have to consider is overall thinness at the C postion lends favorability to Grigs sticking too. Now if you're asking if he'll be fantasy relevant this year.....Mmmmmmmm...probably not. At least not week-in/week-out. Not until he settles into his game. Probably another week or two.
    • Two glaring concerns outta the gate. First, FOW stat is horrendous. While their overall play has been great Ennis was 2 of 12; Hodgson was 5 of 17; and Hecht was 1 of 5 last night in faceoffs. Couple that w/the penalties and that team is just begging to lose games. Ruff recognizes the problem, however, as afar as solutions...he was at a loss.
    • Second concern is Myers. Not sure what's on this kid's brain, but his lack of physical play and decision making is beginning to cost him ice time. The time of discussing when he'll break out has passed. His time in NOW, and he better pull his out of his ass and figure it out before he loses even more ice time.
    • Miller. Ah, boy when those shooting lanes are clear he can stop anything. He won one for the team last night. 'Nuff said.
    • Sabres are home-in-home vs Carolina, Thu and Fri. Enroth will play one of these games, per Ruff.

Team had the day off today. Till next time.....
    @SmittysRant

Default 1/23/13

Not much to report....

Sabres practiced early today then flew out to Carolina for a home-n-home series, tomorrow and Friday. At practice today. Gerbe skated with Grigorenk and Ott, however, he has not yet been cleared to play.

When Gerbe does return, the Org. will have to make a move of the roster variety. Anyone's guess. Mine - Ellis gets moved down.

Leino didn't even make the flight - so he's nowhere near return

Enroth will play one of these games. My hunch - tomorrow night. Then Miller at home Fri vs 'Canes, and Sunday vs Caps.

That's about it for now.
    @SmittysRant

Default 1/24/2013

Early update but wanted to get this out now, rather than later.

Gerbe is back and will play tonight on the Ott/Grigs line. Personally, I like it. Gerbe's a better fit on this line, rather than Leino. Small, sure, but has a better skill set, better forecheck and tenacity. Gerbe will be more comfortable playing his physical style knowing Ott is there in case things get out of control. Also, Gerbe is a better set up man than Leino.

So i fully expect Grigorenko to earn his first points during this home-n-home against the 'Canes.

Fourth line is Scott-Hecht-Kaleta (Ellis is out). D-pairings are the same.
    Last edited by Bomm Bastic; January 24, 2013 at 11:47 AM.
    @SmittysRant

Enroth is in net tonight...
    @SmittysRant

Good news: Sabres tied it up at 2.

Bad news: But for the top line of Hodg, Vanek, Pommer, Ehrhoff and Sulz, there has been no offense generated.Nary a peep outta that second line, Foligno invisible.

And don't get me started on Myers....
    @SmittysRant

I'll do a recap tomorrow but one thing that just smacked me upside the head re tonights loss.

I never heard Foligno's name mentioned once. Stafford I know was offside a couple times. Ennis...not much but I saw him at least.

Foligno...?? Not so much.
    @SmittysRant

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    O/U 99.5 Lindy Ruff should get fired articles this year??
    I'm about to start on one now!
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Icon

What about TJ Brennan? Picked him up in a league (1st in sig) where I am thin on D last week and was thinking he should see some time, but nary a minute played. With his AHL numbers I am a little confused as to why he hasn;t gotten any games.

Same with McNabb, although you did say that the coaches have not been impressed.

So is TJ a drop? Or does get a shot? I could pick up someone like Larsen or Methot who are at least playing at this point (although Larsen is not getting points he is still on my radar for at least this season.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Wizard

Looking toward my roster changes for next week, I noticed the Sabres play the Bruins on Thursday. Do you foresee John Scott going after Lucic? And in general, do you see a lot of bad blood in that game?

Thanks!
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    Looking toward my roster changes for next week, I noticed the Sabres play the Bruins on Thursday. Do you foresee John Scott going after Lucic? And in general, do you see a lot of bad blood in that game?

Thanks!
    I expect a lot of PIMs in that game, from a wide variety of personnel. If you are in a multi-cat league that includes PIM start any of the following w/confidence: Scott, Ott, Kaleta, Foligno, Myers (minors), Regehr...and I would not be surprised if Ruff inserts Weber and Ellis into the line up that night.

If you're in a goon league, Scott's the easy choice for the fighting major, but the real value is in the misconducts and instigators for which I really like Ott and Kaleta.

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    What about TJ Brennan? Picked him up in a league (1st in sig) where I am thin on D last week and was thinking he should see some time, but nary a minute played. With his AHL numbers I am a little confused as to why he hasn;t gotten any games.

Same with McNabb, although you did say that the coaches have not been impressed.

So is TJ a drop? Or does get a shot? I could pick up someone like Larsen or Methot who are at least playing at this point (although Larsen is not getting points he is still on my radar for at least this season.
    Brennan was kept up only because he would have to clear waivers to get back to Rochester and Regier didn't want to risk losing him. Not after seeing AHL journeyman Finley get claimed by the Isles. As far as playing time...good luck.

Hey if it were up to me, Sekera would be jobless and I would gladly give Brennan a shot. But there are those that feel Brennan's offensive skills wouldn't translate well to the NHL, and that he's nothing more than a PP spec-ial-ist.

I will say this - and I will keep the rant to a minimum because it's an old story - Ruff needs to go. I mean that with the utmost sincerity.

Oh, he'll win some games against lesser teams. But I believe that Sabres fans tend to impart or project qualities onto Ruff that we want him to have - due to hope, desperation etc, who knows. Irrelevant, quite frankly.

The man is the sole reason why this team has no identity. Defense first! But the Dmen have to pinch....but don't be caught out of position lest ye get benched. Juggling lines to find a spark is his bullsh!t excuse. Such moves are performed sparingly with exactness of timing in order to rouse a team from a mid-season funk. Instead, Ruff shuffles lines like a Vegas blackjack dealers blending six decks on a new shoe. To me evidences a man who doesn't have a true read on his players skill set.

Hecht bumped to a scoring line the other night, gave proof to my long held belief that Ruff defaults to reliable mediocrity over relative inconsistency from a higher end talent.

More bluntly,I shat myself when I saw Grigorenko put on the fourth line w/ Scott.

That's all....like I said, same movie we've all seen.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    I expect a lot of PIMs in that game, from a wide variety of personnel. If you are in a multi-cat league that includes PIM start any of the following w/confidence: Scott, Ott, Kaleta, Foligno, Myers (minors), Regehr...and I would not be surprised if Ruff inserts Weber and Ellis into the line up that night.

If you're in a goon league, Scott's the easy choice for the fighting major, but the real value is in the misconducts and instigators for which I really like Ott and Kaleta.
    Thanks. I only have Scott and I'm playing him this week. I helps that the Sabres are also playing the Leafs this week so he might wanna revenge his loss to Orr. Unfortunately, I don't own any other Sabres so hopefully Scott gets the old favourite Major, Minor and Instigator Misconduct hat-trick Yeah, I know unlikely with Scott.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post

Brennan was kept up only because he would have to clear waivers to get back to Rochester and Regier didn't want to risk losing him. Not after seeing AHL journeyman Finley get claimed by the Isles. As far as playing time...good luck.

Hey if it were up to me, Sekera would be jobless and I would gladly give Brennan a shot. But there are those that feel Brennan's offensive skills wouldn't translate well to the NHL, and that he's nothing more than a PP spec-ial-ist.

I will say this - and I will keep the rant to a minimum because it's an old story - Ruff needs to go. I mean that with the utmost sincerity.

Oh, he'll win some games against lesser teams. But I believe that Sabres fans tend to impart or project qualities onto Ruff that we want him to have - due to hope, desperation etc, who knows. Irrelevant, quite frankly.

The man is the sole reason why this team has no identity. Defense first! But the Dmen have to pinch....but don't be caught out of position lest ye get benched. Juggling lines to find a spark is his bullsh!t excuse. Such moves are performed sparingly with exactness of timing in order to rouse a team from a mid-season funk. Instead, Ruff shuffles lines like a Vegas blackjack dealers blending six decks on a new shoe. To me evidences a man who doesn't have a true read on his players skill set.

Hecht bumped to a scoring line the other night, gave proof to my long held belief that Ruff defaults to reliable mediocrity over relative inconsistency from a higher end talent.

More bluntly,I shat myself when I saw Grigorenko put on the fourth line w/ Scott.

That's all....like I said, same movie we've all seen.
    Well said!
    Yahoo 1 Year Leagues:
    G, A, PIM, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 4Bn, 1IR

Dobber Sports Icon

Thanks for the opinion on Brennan - I did end up dropping him for Larsen and was rewarded with a PP goal tonight.

I have to agree on Ruff - the team needs a new identity and has some decent skilled players to work with. Grigs on the 4th line? Makes no sense, send him down if you are going to do that. Sure rookies need to learn how to play in their own end but man, play to his strengths!
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin