Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Malkin or Backstrom

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Malkin or Backstrom

before you freak out, center scoring in our league is mainly about FOWs. last season these two guys finished as follows:

Backstrom - 432.75 pts good for #11 best center in league
    Malkin - 322.50 good for #43 center in league

obviously Malkins season had some injury issues. he played only 60 games. he does get injured a lot. BUT, its Malkin and he could explode at any given time. FOWs are my main concern. Backstrom, solid point producer, good FOWs, not sure what Trotz will do to the team.

thoughts? opinions? my other keeper C is Tavares for what it's worth. oh and scoring summary in sig.

Thanks,
    OMWP
    10 team, H2H Points, Limited Keeper (1C,2W,2D,1G,1 non G)

18 man roster plus 2 IR spots [20 total]
    start 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G; daily lineup changes

Stats: G,A,PPG,ENG,SHG,GWG,OTG,ShootOut Goals/Attemtps,Hat Tricks,+/-,FOW,PIMs,Majors,Misconducts,Hits,Blocked Shots
    Goalies Stats: W,Saves,Goals Against,SO

C: Tavares, Koivu, Backstrom, Johansen
    W: Lucic, Ladd, Eriksson, Komarov, Forsberg, Jenner
    D: Hedman, Ekblad, Niskanen, Yandle, Campbell
    G: Holtby, Schneider, Hammond
    IR: Anderson, Faulk

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Malkin or Backstrom

Malkin...still.

I'd hate to be the guy moving Malkin got backs. I get your scoring dynamic...but he's not the guy you want to move and if you do...backs not the guy you want to move him for.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by One Man Wolf Pack View Post
    before you freak out, center scoring in our league is mainly about FOWs. last season these two guys finished as follows:

Backstrom - 432.75 pts good for #11 best center in league
    Malkin - 322.50 good for #43 center in league

obviously Malkins season had some injury issues. he played only 60 games. he does get injured a lot. BUT, its Malkin and he could explode at any given time. FOWs are my main concern. Backstrom, solid point producer, good FOWs, not sure what Trotz will do to the team.

thoughts? opinions? my other keeper C is Tavares for what it's worth. oh and scoring summary in sig.

Thanks,
    OMWP
    you have to qualify what you mean by ' mainly about FOWs' before we can answer the question
    how does your scoring work for centers?

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    you have to qualify what you mean by ' mainly about FOWs' before we can answer the question
    how does your scoring work for centers?
    FOWs are 0.25 points per so you can imagine this adds value for guys that excel at face-offs. Goals are are 3 points and A are 2.25 points.

Backstrom had 714 FOWs to Malkins 303
    10 team, H2H Points, Limited Keeper (1C,2W,2D,1G,1 non G)

18 man roster plus 2 IR spots [20 total]
    start 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G; daily lineup changes

Stats: G,A,PPG,ENG,SHG,GWG,OTG,ShootOut Goals/Attemtps,Hat Tricks,+/-,FOW,PIMs,Majors,Misconducts,Hits,Blocked Shots
    Goalies Stats: W,Saves,Goals Against,SO

C: Tavares, Koivu, Backstrom, Johansen
    W: Lucic, Ladd, Eriksson, Komarov, Forsberg, Jenner
    D: Hedman, Ekblad, Niskanen, Yandle, Campbell
    G: Holtby, Schneider, Hammond
    IR: Anderson, Faulk

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Still have to keep Malkin here IMO. If you are having trouble in the FOW department then maybe ship some secondary players for a strong C player. You could also just fill in FOW with depth players at next years draft. Way too much upside with Malkin and scores tons more goals than Backstrom.

Here's how I see your keepers:

Malkin
    Lucic
    Benn
    Tavares
    Rinne(depending where Miller lands)

Didn't include defense cause IMO you shop Backstrom around for a legit #1 dman in a package deal. Could still get a nice return for him and bulk up your defense in the process. Who knows, maybe try to package Miller/Rinne with Backstrom and get 2 solid dmen back. Just a suggestion.

GMHL Dynasty
    14 Team H2H 27-Pro/20-Farm
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 7BN, 4IR+
    G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG,SOG, HITS, BLKS
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Tavares, Barkov, Malkin, Nielsen, Zibanejad
    LW: Lucic, Benn, Tatar, Fleischmann
    RW: Johansen, Tarasenko, Downie, Perron
    D: Doughty, Chara, Yandle, Edler, Seidenberg, Brodin, Wideman, Kulikov, Robidas
    G: Niemi, Nabokov, Mason, Emery, Reimer

Farm: Lazar, Nieto, Pulkkinen, Compher, Fiala, Vrana, Barber, Pastrnak, Larkin, McCann, Rattie, Rakell, Salomaki, Connelly, Keranen, Clendening, Borowiecki, Matheson, de Haan, Carrick, Gillies, Nilsson-KHL, Dansk, Stalock

Picks Owned:
    2015: 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 3rd

Banned

A couple years ago it would have been Backstrom hands down because not only did Malkin suck at faceoffs but he sucked so badly that they didn't let him take many...now he still sucks but he takes a semi-normal workload for a center and he wins 500-550 avg per full season instead of 2-300. So unless Backstrom can get back to scoring 90-100 pts and 25-30 goals Malkin has the advantage (though it's not a huge gap and you gotta factor in Malkin's recent injury history).

Dobber Sports Deity

It will be interseting to see what type of effect Barry Trotz will have on Washington and their players.

I also wonder if Backstrom took so many faceoffs because a guy like Brooks Laich was hurt for the better part of the year. Now that he seems healthy, I wonder how often Laich will be sent out to take that big draw instead of Backstrom. Certainly something to consider as well.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    It will be interseting to see what type of effect Barry Trotz will have on Washington and their players.

I also wonder if Backstrom took so many faceoffs because a guy like Brooks Laich was hurt for the better part of the year. Now that he seems healthy, I wonder how often Laich will be sent out to take that big draw instead of Backstrom. Certainly something to consider as well.
    Pretty much exactly what I was about to say. It remains to be seen how Trotz will handle a team built for offense, but his record in Nashville indicates that offense should be harder to come by, and that's likely why the other guy wants to get rid of Backstrom; he's selling high while he can.

The only reason why this trade might be good would be if, hypothetically, Malkin got traded to a team that has an "offense by comittee" approach like St-Louis.
    On a fantasy hockey break.

Banned

Haha, no, he took the exact same number of faceoffs he always does...he's the #1 C, that's his job!

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    Haha, no, he took the exact same number of faceoffs he always does...he's the #1 C, that's his job!
    Actually, if you go look at the numbers, his faceoff attempts were up about 100 more then he normally took in the past (on average).

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Banned

Actually, if you go look at the numbers, his faceoff attempts were up about 100 more then he normally took in the past (on average).
    Negative, he's exactly where he's always been

Last 5 years (adjusted to full seasons)

Dobber Sports Deity

You'll get no arguments from me on who the #1C is on that team.

All I am saying is that with Barry Trotz coming in, I wonder if he will use a healthy Brooks Laich in some situations that previous coaches MAY have sent out Backstrom, mainly due to Laich's injury issues the past couple seasons.

It's all argumentative for sure but if we are going to assume Malkins injuries draw his value down, it only makes sense to think that Laich may affect Backstroms value a bit as well.

Heres a good read on Laich for the upcoming season.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/f...-brooks-laich/

I think he plays a bigger role under Trotz then he has under previous coaches which could bring Backstroms value in this league down a bit. He's not going to dismantle Backstrom as the #1C, but if the OP is valuing the FOW from Backstrom as one of the main reasons to take him over Malkin, I think it's naive to not thing that Laich doesn't take a bit of a bite out of those numbers.

Banned

You'll get no arguments from me on who the #1C is on that team.

All I am saying is that with Barry Trotz coming in, I wonder if he will use a healthy Brooks Laich in some situations that previous coaches MAY have sent out Backstrom, mainly due to Laich's injury issues the past couple seasons.

It's all argumentative for sure but if we are going to assume Malkins injuries draw his value down, it only makes sense to think that Laich may affect Backstroms value a bit as well.

Heres a good read on Laich for the upcoming season.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/f...-brooks-laich/

I think he plays a bigger role under Trotz then he has under previous coaches which could bring Backstroms value in this league down a bit. He's not going to dismantle Backstrom as the #1C, but if the OP is valuing the FOW from Backstrom as one of the main reasons to take him over Malkin, I think it's naive to not thing that Laich doesn't take a bit of a bite out of those numbers.

I must be missing your argument then...I don't understand how the health of the 3rd line C affects the number of faceoffs the #1 C takes? Are you saying that they'll play Laich on the 1st line as a winger and he'll steal faceoffs from Backstrom?

Dobber Sports Deity

I am saying that I wont be surprised to see Laich out there taking draws at certain times (especially later in the games and more often on the PK) when Backstrom may have been sent out.

I could be totally off my rocker, but it wont surprise me at all to see Backstroms FO #s go down a bit this year with a healthy Laich in the lineup. I can see Trotz sending Laich out to be a bigger factor at particular times in the game from previous coaches. Time will tell. Its just my train of thought in the process.

Banned

I am saying that I wont be surprised to see Laich out there taking draws at certain times (especially later in the games and more often on the PK) when Backstrom may have been sent out.

I could be totally off my rocker, but it wont surprise me at all to see Backstroms FO #s go down a bit this year with a healthy Laich in the lineup. I can see Trotz sending Laich out to be a bigger factor at particular times in the game from previous coaches. Time will tell. Its just my train of thought in the process.
    I don't disagree that Trotz might use Laich's big body more in key situations but I doubt it will be in the faceoff dot...again last 5 years:

Backstrom: 51%
    Laich: 47.5%