• Kris Letang

19 35.85%
  • Mike Green

34 64.15%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cage Match Tourney Semi-Final #1 - Letang vs. Green

The Magnificent One

Default Cage Match Tourney Semi-Final #1 - Letang vs. Green

This is one of the two semi-final battles in the Cage Match tournament to crown fantasy hockey's most frustrating player. This battle has the winner of the Band-Aid Boy bracket (Kris Letang) facing the winner of the What Have You Done for Me Lately bracket (Mike Green). Be sure to vote here, and in the other semi-final.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Cage Match Tourney Semi-Final #1 - Letang vs. Green

Had to go with Mike Green here. Bigger boom/bust in my opinion (though much less boom now)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Following doulos again, can't keep up with this guy.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Letang for me. I actually see it as the opposite from doulos. Green is like what, 4 or 5 years removed from his 70 point seasons? Letang is two years removed from a PPG+ season following the lockout, with 42 in 51 games the season before that.

I'll say the same thing about this as I said in Letang's last matchup. No one is drafting Green anymore expecting him to lead them to a championship. Letang, still has that expectation about him. He's consistently ranked as a top 3 defenseman, maybe top 5 even after all the injuries. So every year someone takes him with their second pick, so when he ends up only playing 45 games it kills that teams' chances.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Star

Voted for Letang, again. So much potential playing with Crosby and Malkin.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I went Green - Letang at least produces well when he's healthy.

Green owners are still chasing that nigh-mythical 70 point season.
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I own them both! Do I win???

Gotta go Letang though. Green puts up decent numbers, but I rely on Letang to make up for what I traded away for him (Pietrangelo+), and he's never available to do it. The maladies dont even strike at the same time. Seriously, dude, you cant get stomach flu BEFORE your arm healed?
    DobberHockey Injury Report Columnist

Points only keeper league. 9F 6D 1G + 5 Bench & 9 Farm. $109M cap.
    Drop 5 at the end of the year from Main team only.
    10 Teams.

F: Crosby Kane McDavid Hall Draisaitl MacKinnon Duchene Backstrom Hornqvist Sprong Perron

D: Letang Green Klingberg Rielly Faulk Bowey Phaneuf Campbell Schultz

G: Holtby

Farm: RNH E.Lindholm Vrbata Fabbri Morrissey Pouliot Murray Vasilevskiy Fleury

Dobber Sports Demi-God

In the majority vote, with Mike Green.
    What a roller coaster... good thing he's almost over.
    If there's one more hill we all need to climb... oh no... click, click, click...

Dobber Sports Rookie

Picking Letang as a more frustrating own given where I would need to pick him vs Green.

Between Letang and Green, for sure I'm drafting Letang before Green since it is true Letang produces when healthy.

But it's such a high premium to pick Letang cause he's getting picked as the 3rd best D in my league after Subban and Karlsson. I can only hope for disappointment with picking him so high. With Green though I can kinda get him through as a "sleeper pick" with hopes he produces as other people pretty much gave up on him as an elite option and would pick Byfuglien after Letang is off the boards...

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    Letang for me. I actually see it as the opposite from doulos. Green is like what, 4 or 5 years removed from his 70 point seasons? Letang is two years removed from a PPG+ season following the lockout, with 42 in 51 games the season before that.

I'll say the same thing about this as I said in Letang's last matchup. No one is drafting Green anymore expecting him to lead them to a championship. Letang, still has that expectation about him. He's consistently ranked as a top 3 defenseman, maybe top 5 even after all the injuries. So every year someone takes him with their second pick, so when he ends up only playing 45 games it kills that teams' chances.
    Agreed
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

The Wolverine

It comes down to expectation for me (which how it affects my frustration), so Letang the easy choice. I no longer expect much out of Green so my frustration is lower when he doesn't perform or gets hurt. Letang is still supposed to be elite, even with his risks, so it increases my frustration when he struggles or goes down again. Honestly, I'm surprised the vote is that much in favour of Green right now (17-8 as I type).

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Totally agree with horrorfan. I mean who is expecting Green to come up again with another elite output? I think, the frustration has faded and expectations are rather low. While Letang has his own significant question marks with the stroke on top of all the other injuries, I still expect him to rejoin the elite d-men once he is back at full strength. And this might lead to frustration, again ...

Dobber Sports Deity

I went with Letang. His injuries make him frustrating to own. Green is only frustrating to own because GMs can't reel in their expectations. That's not Greens fault.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Guru

Letang for me. All that talent, playing with the top two offensive players in the world. And yet, he only cracked 40 points twice, and hit 50 points just once.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Unlike the previous rounds where all polls were in the same category, this is different and should be treated as such. We have "band-aid boy" vs "what have you done for me lately" (i.e. Letang vs Green).

In my opinion, it should no longer be fair to focus on Letang's potential injury threat. At this point, you know he's an injury threat (he won the group). The question is, how does it stack up to Green's what have you done lately. On the other hand, its totally reasonible to focus on Greens injury threat to go along with his "what have you done for me lately" champion title.

If I had to draft a D, I'd likely draft Letang first.

2010-11: GP = 82, Pts = 50, Assuming 82 games played Pts = 50 *** Potential for more
    2011-12: GP = 51, Pts = 42, Assuming 82 games played Pts = 67 *** Hmmmmm possible PPG D
    2012-13: GP = 35, Pts = 38, Assuming 82 games played Pts = 89 *** PPG but two seasons of injures
    2013-14: GP = 37, Pts = 22, Assuming 82 games played Pts = 48 --- More injuries but pts are down. Is this due to the injuries?

I wouldn't draft Green nearly as high, but would I expect him to get 40pts? Let's see:

2008-09: GP = 68, Pts = 73, Assuming 82 games played Pts = 88
    2009-10: GP = 75, Pts = 76, Assuming 82 games played Pts = 83
    2010-11: GP = 49, Pts = 24, Assuming 82 games played Pts = 40 --- first decline ... surely its not real
    2011-12: GP = 32, Pts = 7, Assuming 82 games played Pts = 18 ----- panic ... it may be real
    2012-13: GP = 35, Pts = 26, Assuming 82 games played Pts = 61 *** hope is restored
    2013-14: GP = 70, Pts = 38, Assuming 82 games played Pts = 44 ??? reality, he should be treated like a 40pt D ... when healthy

Looking at this, as much as I'd love to factor in Letang's "band-aid boy" championship, I'd still treat him as a 60+ pts D. Whereas Green, I've dialed back my expectations to 40pts. Therefore, when the injury bug bites, Letang's lose of prodcution would frustrate me way more than Green's.

Disclaimer: I tried to make this pro Green but in the end, the band-aid boy wins becuase I just want to beleive this is the year he stays healthy (risk vs. higher reward).
    12 Team Keeper (6F, 3D, 1G + up to 3 extra)
    Stats: g(1), a(1), +/-(1), ppg(+1), shg(+1), gwg(+1), otg(+1), w(2), sho(+3)

F: Malkin, Ovechkin, Okposo, Spezza, JVR, Wheeler, Little, Kadri, Stepan
    D: Weber, Suter, J.Johnson, Spurgeon, Gardiner, Wideman
    G: Bishop, Hiller
    BN: Lupul, Moulson, Parenteau, MDZ, Hamonic, Petry, Holtby

#2 (1st place 2014)
    F: Malkin, Thornton, Benn, Krejci, Spezza, Franzen, E.Kane, Desharnais, Moulson
    D: Subban, Gologoski, Green, Phaneuf, Ehroff, Tyutin
    G: Price, Bishop
    BN: Brassard, Cammalleri, Barkov, Alfredsson, Wideman, Bieksa, Varlomov