• Yakupov

12 46.15%
  • Nichuskin

14 53.85%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Yakupov vs Nichuskin ***REP GIVEN***

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Yakupov vs Nichuskin ***REP GIVEN***

Which of these Russians would your prefer on a full keeper salary league that counts PIMs & HITs aside from the other more standard categories.

What do you see in the next 3 years projection wise and what would their ceiling be?

And career wise who will be better when its all said and done?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Yakupov vs Nichuskin ***REP GIVEN***

Way too hard to tell. Keep whichever one you have.

Dobber Sports Sage

Nichushkin all day every day. Yakupov will be a bust in the NHL. Slide over Alexandre Daigle/Patrik Stefan you have company.

Dobber Sports Stud

I have both and up until a month or two ago I would have sided with Yakupov. Now I'm honestly not sure as Nich has looked better and better as the season has gone on. Based on pedigree I'd still go with Yak but something in my gut is telling me Nich might be the better, safer option (if there is such a thing as a safe option when talking about 18-20 year old players).
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

Dobber Sports Pro

Yakupov, obviously. I can't believe how quickly we can write off a 1st overall with all of 100 games under his belt.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    Nichushkin all day every day. Yakupov will be a bust in the NHL. Slide over Alexandre Daigle/Patrik Stefan you have company.
    Leading the Oilers in goals last season totally signified that. Such short-sightedness on this sight. At the start of the year everyone would have said Yakupov. As a different person's opinion, Corey Pronman is one of the best talent evaluator's I have read. Someone asked him this question on twitter and his answer was "too young and too hard to tell between the two of them. Nichushkin is having a better season this year so I'll choose him". So basically, they are pretty much even. Like I said, it's almost impossible to tell which will be better, so I would stick with the guy you have.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    Yakupov, obviously. I can't believe how quickly we can write off a 1st overall with all of 100 games under his belt.
    This wouldn't happen to have anything to do with you owning yakupov would it? Nothing obvious about this comparison. Why was one selected to the Russian team and not the other...now that is obvious.
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ddp View Post
    This wouldn't happen to have anything to do with you owning yakupov would it? Nothing obvious about this comparison. Why was one selected to the Russian team and not the other...now that is obvious.
    Yup, you got me. I've have a deep emotional stake in this question.

Dobber Sports Padawan

What numbers do you say their basement and ceiling is and which is most likely.

Here are my estimates:

Nich should be good for 65+ as his basement with upside of around a point per game. Likely to settle in the 70-75 point range.

Yak could be anywhere from 60 to 90+, likely to hover around a point per game.

Peripherals should go Nich's way,

Am I far off?

Dobber Sports Ace

Yak could go from full bust all the way to 90. Hard to say.
    Data Science Intern, Pebble
    COO, Quidditch Post
    Associate Editor, Dobber Sports Network
    Hockey Operations Intern, UBC Thunderbirds

Top 100 Roto
    Dobber Prospects

Ask me your fantasy questions on Twitter: @austeane
    My main league:

H2H Each Cat - Yahoo - 14 teams - Real Cap Hit - 85m cap
    Start: 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2U 2G 7B daily (21)
    Cats: G A +- PIM SOG PPG PPA SHP GWG FW HIT W
    GAA SV SV% SO
    Edler's Mind Tricks:
    C:, Lehtera, Plekanec, Kuznetsov, Komarov
    LW: Benn, Kreider, Roussel
    RW: Malkin, Yakupov, Nyquist
    D: Subban, Letang, Karlsson, Jones, Dillon, Deslauriers
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Elliott
    JV: Sekac, Petan, Poirier, Vrana, Fleury, Sanheim, Galiev, 5th, 9th, 15th, 18th, 24th overall amateur picks

Dobber Sports Pro

Nichushkin for me but it's close

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by ddp View Post
    Obviously irrelevant. That team wasn't put together by the NHL. Using this same logic, insinuates you actually believe a Petr Nedved has a higher value than Hudler and or Vrbata because he made the National team. All due respect DDP, but Far from obvious counter arguement there IMO.

From an nhl standpoint alone, I'll still take the former #1 over all who lead Rookies in goal scoring and who is working through his sophomore slump right on time...over the guy who wasn't #1, is having a very good rookie campaign but not close to challenging for the scoring lead and likely ends up in a similar sophomore slump next year. History suggest it's going to happen. Yak is demonstrating his numbers swing now. So I won't be surprised if he surprises a helluva lot of hayters as soon as next year...even if he IS still in EDM. That's why I take Yak in this comparison. And why I DID take yak on my team.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    From an nhl standpoint alone, I'll still take the former #1 over all who lead Rookies in goal scoring and who is working through his sophomore slump right on time...over the guy who wasn't #1, is having a very good rookie campaign but not close to challenging for the scoring lead and likely ends up in a similar sophomore slump next year. History suggest it's going to happen. Yak is demonstrating his numbers swing now. So I won't be surprised if he surprises a helluva lot of hayters as soon as next year...even if he IS still in EDM. That's why I take Yak in this comparison. And why I DID take yak on my team.
    I am going with this as well. I have Huberdeau and Yak both going through the sophomore slumps, and its been hard not to move them. Young players have to endure this, its a reality. Think back to the complaining and comments that were made by Yak at the start of the year....have you heard anything recently? Tell me this kid isn't learning to be an NHL player.....I take Yak, and its only because I think he is closer to breaking out. Nichushkin still has a tough year ahead of him IMO.
    REDRUM
    -roto - 10 team - keep 20 of 24 - G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPG, PPA, W, SV, SV%

C - Nathan MacKinnon, Aleksander Barkov, Nick Bjugstad, Jonathon Huberdeau
    LW - Evander Kane, Jaden Schwartz, Brayden Schenn, Chris Kreider, Jonathon Drouin, Sven Baertchi
    RW - Kyle Okposo, Valeri Nichushkin, Gustav Nyquist, Chris Stewart
    D - Oliver Ekman Larsson, Dougie Hamilton, Viktor Hedman, Kevin Shattenkirk, Erik Johnson
    G - Jonathon Bernier, Sergei Bobrovsky, Darcy Kuemper, Robin Lehner

Dobber Sports Giant

Flip a coin on this one. I would hope that it fell on the Yakupov side, but I would be nonetheless very very happy if it landed on the Nichushkin side too.

As some pointed out, Yakupov's upside is a tad bit higher than Nichu's but Nichushkin's chances of reaching his potential are better than NY's. This decision depends on how ''gambling'' you are.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Ace

I love these threads. If I wasn't heading out to work shortly, I'd go back and find the same threads with the same things we're hearing about Yakovup said about John Tavares and Steven Stamkos during their early years. Not saying either of these guys will be in the same class, but it happens every time a top pick doesn't step in like Crosby or Ovechkin.

A few short points to make. This is a classic "what have you done for me lately" scenario. I'll admit up front that I own Yak in one of my two main pools, but that's because I put a package together for him back in mid-December when his value was at an all-time low. It's a calculated risk, but those risks are what win you pools - it's pretty hard to win when you pay the going rate for a top star at his peak.

But what is Nichu doing that is so much better? I'm not knocking him in the slightest - I've tried to acquire him in a number of pools, but the price is through the roof. But take a closer look, are his numbers that much better? Nichu is on 38 pt pace. And yet, 18 of his 29 points came in November and December. He had 2 points in 11 games in October, and he has 9 in 21 GP since New Years. Since November, he has played the bulk of his time with Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin, not bad.

Yakupov is on 32 pt pace. 6 less. He has had a poor sophomore season, agreed, but he has 7 in his last 10 - if things continue as they have lately, he could outscore Nichu this season. He has been playing 2nd and 3rd line time and linemates for the larger part of the season. He had 15 in his last 15 to end last season, as well, and finished on 53 pt pace as a rookie. Tavares as a rookie? 54pts. Stamkos? 46. Again, not saying either of them will match up to this bonfides, I'm just saying it's pretty damn early to be labeling Yak as a bust and Nichu as the second coming.

Now to get back to the original question, to me it's obvious who I want of the two right now - Nichu. To me, their ultimate destinations are completely up in the air, only time will tell. But Nichu has a heck of a lot more intrinsic value right now - he's a hot commodity. If I had to choose between the two, it would be Nichu simply for that reason, and depending on where my squad was, I would strongly consider flipping him if it made me better. Yakupov doesn't hold that value right now. If you're building for the future, he's a great piece.

Nothing personal against anyone's opinion - we all have different player valuations, or trades would never happen. But in my mind, this is another case of people bailing way too early for an option that has had a better short stretch, without looking at the big picture. The same people who were trading genuine top-20 forwards for Tomas Hertl back around Oct 20th - I had one poolie guarantee me that he would break 65 this year and play a point per game as soon as next year. That's a bet I took. And as usual, he wasn't "jumping on the bandwagon" or "drinking the kool-aid", but assured me that he had been a giant fan of Hertl's since well before he was drafted. A likely story.

Long story short, in my books it's way too late to label Yakupov as a bust. Look at the bigger picture - it's actually a great time to take a chance on him. At the moment, Nichu is the one you want, because he is worth more to you. But all of the "I never liked Yakupov, right from the start" that I've heard lately, well, I would imagine those are pretty wobbly statements. Be patient, he's 20 years old.
    20-Team Keeper League
    PTS: G=1, A=1, W=2, SO=3
    Starting roster: 6F, 3D, 1G, *Keep 12 + 2 on farm

F: Kucherov, Scheifele, Eichel, Tarasenko, Rakell, Schwartz, Dadonov
    D: Doughty, Josi, Ekman-Larsson, Keith
    G: Hellebuyck
    Farm: Tolvanen, Kaprizov

16-Team Keeper League
    PTS: G=1, A=1, W=2, SO=3
    Starting roster: 6F, 4D, 1G, *Keep 12 + 4 on farm
    F: P Kane, Kessel, Pastrnak, Keller, Marchessault, B Schenn, Fiala, Kase,
    D: Weber, Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Parayko