Alexander Edler (Born in 1986)

NHL 2009-2010 76 GP 42 PTS 19 PP 40 PIM
    NHL 2008-2010 80 GP 37 PTS 21 PP 54 PIM
    NHL 2007-2008 75 GP 20 PTS 10 PP 42 PIM

Jamie Mcbain (Born in 1988)

NHL 2009-2010 14 GP 10 PTS 4 PP 0 PIM
    AHL 2009-2010 68 GP 40 PTS 10 PIM
    WCHL 2008-09 40 GP 37 PTS 30 PIM

I know Jamie Mcbain has a lot of hype (aka possible trade value) but what makes you think he'll be special?
    15 Team Keeper (Y Roto Points, Daily Changes but only one waiver pick up per month)
    20 Players (Keep 10) Dress 8 F, 5 D, 1 Utility and 2 G
    Stats: G, A, P, PPP, Shots, SHP, Hits, PIM, +/- W, GAA, SV%, Saves, SO

Forwards Huberdeau, Svechnikov, Monahan, Cirelli, Suzuki, Backlund, Atkinson, J. Anderson, Hyman, Hayton, Dach & Byfield

Defensemen
    Rielly, Ekblad, Yandle, Giordano, Ekholm & Hanifin

Goalies
    Markstrom & Koskinen

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    I know Jamie Mcbain has a lot of hype (aka possible trade value) but what makes you think he'll be special?
    My tarot cards told me so.

No seriously, he's an amazing talent who performed admirably last year when call upon. He's going to get a solid chance at top billing on the 'Canes. Scouts love him, coaches love him, old grandmothers love him...you get the idea.

That, and Edler doesn't return any of my fan mail...so f*** him!
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Haha good response.

Finding defensive prospects that will get above 55 points is too much of a crapshoot for me. I'll leave it up to you guys.
    15 Team Keeper (Y Roto Points, Daily Changes but only one waiver pick up per month)

Forwards Huberdeau, Svechnikov, Monahan, Cirelli, Suzuki, Backlund, Atkinson, J. Anderson, Hyman, Hayton, Dach & Byfield

Defensemen

Goalies
    Markstrom & Koskinen

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    Haha good response.

Finding defensive prospects that will get above 55 points is too much of a crapshoot for me. I'll leave it up to you guys.
    Oh I definitely think he has 55 in him. Not this year, mind you.

If you're thin at d and need production this year, I could see taking Edler. But long term, McBain's the McBoy!
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Okay I'll say this outright first... I'm a Canucks fan so do take what I say with a grain of salt.

Edler has tons of potential to hit the 50-55pt mark. Whether he will or not is definitely yet to be seen. With the team the Canucks have this year, I'd say he has a very good chance to be the leading the D corps in points along with Ehrhoff. However... Edler has shown to fade during stretches at a time during the season and someones doesn't quite rebound the way he should be. If he stays consistent and plays how he knows he can play, I'm predicting 54pts. On the low side, I'd put him at 44 points.

As for McBain, 15 or so games isn't exactly the best measuring stick as to how good he can be. I agree that he has lots of potential but whether it will be 50pt potential.. I personally don't think so. He has proven that he can play with the big boys but the sample size of games doesn't make me feel very comfortable. I also haven't seen McBain play too much but from what I've seen, he seems to have that certain hockey sense offensively which is something that's hard to find in a young Dman. High end predictions for this season I'd say would be 46pts. Low end predictions would go about 37pts.

Given both sides:
    Short term: Edler
    Long term: Edler with McBain right behind him
    13 Team Yahoo Daily Points Keeper - 6 Keepers + 1 Rookie Keeper
    G | A | +/- | PIM | PPP | SHP | GWG | SOG
    Wins | Saves | SHO
    2 C | 2 LW | 2 RW | 3 D | 1 Util | 1 G

C - Crosby, Seguin (RW), Forsberg (RW)
    LW - Duchene (C), O'Reilly (C), Boedker
    RW - Hornqvist, Toffoli, Yakupov
    D - Karlsson, Niskanen, Vatanen, Faulk
    G - Anderson, Mason, Stalock

Dobber Sports Genius

Anyone who owns McBain as a prospect should certainly be very exited with all he's shown. I however will take Edler here simply because he is farther ahead on more or less very comparable upsides in my opinion. I know some projections have them in and around the same points (say 45), but I don't see McBain there yet and think Edler could get even more this year alreadt which would still put Edler's value higher into the future.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Defensemen are often products of their opportunities. McBain is valued high, IMO, for two reasons:

1) The main reason - is that CAR made a dedicated effort to give him PP time at the end of last season. Numbers don't really tell the story for a D, the way they might for a F. Look at Tyler Myers seasons in amateur... there's nothing there in the stats to suggest he was going to have a season last year like he did. McBain had those 40pts in the AHL... which is pretty good. And then CAR brought him up and gave him a shot and he did well. That should carry over into this year.

2) As a comparison, note that (I believe) he was part of the US Nat. Dev. Program while EJ was. He didn't put up the stats of EJ - but the similarities are there. Same age, only 2 inches shorter, from Minnesota. Comparisons bring out good faith from NHL brass.

McBain will get a solid shot this year. 50pts might be a reach. 38pts is very reasonable. Younger defensemen are arriving in waves... but Edler still has more talent to pass the puck to - and thus, is the better pick for the near future.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

My draft is coming up very soon.

I ask this question once again. Should I snag Edler or Mcbain?

My Reasoning for Edler

He or Yandle will have a 50 point season. That is attractive Since I'm in a limited keeper I can afford to package one of them away to upgrade somewhere else.
    Edler is also the more physical PIM player.

My Reasoning for Mcbain

He may have more potential to hit 60 points in a year than Edler.
    If he is able to get 50 points like Dobber predicts in his rookie year he may win the Calder Cup and his trade value would be immense!

Defensemen

Goalies
    Markstrom & Koskinen