Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Ovechkin's not gonna like his new coach... (ahem - Trotz)

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Ovechkin's not gonna like his new coach... (ahem - Trotz)

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    Again, I reiterate, Trotz is a VERY good coach, I'd be very surprised if he doesn't have some good ideas for how to maximize Ovechkin. Think of it logically, Ovie is never going to be a strong 2-way player, it's just not his style so the best course of action is to work on making him just play with some basic responsibility and focus on what he does do really well, which is scoring goals. The more Ovie gets to play the style that he loves to play, the more he's going to be motivated to improve his overall game. I think the mistake coaches have made with him is trying to force him to be something he's not, let him be Ovie and subtly work on his shortcomings, I gurantee he'll be happier and more productive and the team will be better off overall. It doesn't need to be that complicated really, you've got some of the softest hands in the league in Backstrom feeding an elite sniper, take that for what it is and build around it.
    Gulp. I agree 100% with mcgoo here. I think this could be very interesting and I really respect Trotz, so if I'm a Caps fan I'm stoked at the possibilities here.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    I think this say a lot about Trotz and its not good. He's had some pretty decent players over the years.
    maybe if you took all of the pretty decent player hes had over the years and put them on one team then hed go deep in the playoffs but has nashville ever had a team that was even above average on paper? i think he got a lot more out of his teams than they should have done and the only reason trotz doesnt have more playoff victories is because of nashvilles internal budget.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Veteran

Again, I reiterate, Trotz is a VERY good coach, I'd be very surprised if he doesn't have some good ideas for how to maximize Ovechkin. Think of it logically, Ovie is never going to be a strong 2-way player, it's just not his style so the best course of action is to work on making him just play with some basic responsibility and focus on what he does do really well, which is scoring goals. The more Ovie gets to play the style that he loves to play, the more he's going to be motivated to improve his overall game. I think the mistake coaches have made with him is trying to force him to be something he's not, let him be Ovie and subtly work on his shortcomings, I gurantee he'll be happier and more productive and the team will be better off overall. It doesn't need to be that complicated really, you've got some of the softest hands in the league in Backstrom feeding an elite sniper, take that for what it is and build around it.
    this isnt football though where you have one side attacking while the other side defends and then when theres a score or a turnover they switch. in hockey you can be on the attack one second and be defending the next. so does he have to skate to the bench everytime his team has to backcheck? i mean he already does that but any half decent hockey player at least tries to backcheck but he doesnt even try. hes a complete defensive liability and the only way you can protect yourself from him is to only play him on the powerplay or in situations where you are extremely desperate for a goal.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Banned

Not sure if it has been mentioned as I didn't read the thread, but

Is it possible that Trotz is not really all that defensive minded as people think? Sure he was in Nashville, because he HAD to be without any solid forwards. In Washington I am sure he will have his defense in order, but when you have guys like Backstrom and Ovechkin I have a hard time believing he won't be about the offense in these guys as well.

Am I the only one that thinks this way?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Not sure if it has been mentioned as I didn't read the thread, but

Is it possible that Trotz is not really all that defensive minded as people think? Sure he was in Nashville, because he HAD to be without any solid forwards. In Washington I am sure he will have his defense in order, but when you have guys like Backstrom and Ovechkin I have a hard time believing he won't be about the offense in these guys as well.

Am I the only one that thinks this way?
    You'll get your answer if you read the thread lol

Dobber Sports Guru

For those leagues where positions count, does anyone know if Trotz will have Ovi as a left winger or right winger this season?

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by letangerang58 View Post
    hes a complete defensive liability and the only way you can protect yourself from him is to only play him on the powerplay or in situations where you are extremely desperate for a goal.
    See that's the thing though, he's not a 'complete defensive liability', that's gross hyberbole and leads to nothing but erroneous conclusions.

I've never understood this phenomenon but for whatever reason whenever it's an elite player being discussed, their shortcomings get blown WAY out of proportion. For example we see the same thing with Karlsson and it's completely undeserved...is he the strongest defensively? Not by a long shot, but is he the worst? Also not by a long shot. Not every player in the league can be Johnathon Toews or Kopitar, or Datsyuk or Bergeron (or say Pietrangelo or Doughty on D) that's not the norm for the league at all...the norm is that most guys have gaps in their game and Ovechkin is no exception. The way you have to look at it is to look at all the positives these players bring to the game offensively, Karlsson scores 75 pts a season as a d-man, most of those at Even Strength too, no one else does that. Ovechkin's career gpg rate is .622, that means he averages 51 goals per season! I don't know a coach in the league that wouldn't want that 'liability' on his roster.

When Ovie dogs it the worst is when he's being forced to play a style that is not him, he's an effusive personality and he loves to be the center of attention and score the big goals. What I'm saying is tap into all that, setup a scenario where he gets to do what he does best because a happy Ovie is a productive Ovie, and a productive/happy Ovie is much easier to work with on his weak points. Don't you find you work harder at your job when you really enjoy it? I definitely do, hockey players are no different.

Dobber Sports Guru

See that's the thing though, he's not a 'complete defensive liability', that's gross hyberbole and leads to nothing but erroneous conclusions.

I've never understood this phenomenon but for whatever reason whenever it's an elite player being discussed, their shortcomings get blown WAY out of proportion. For example we see the same thing with Karlsson and it's completely undeserved...is he the strongest defensively? Not by a long shot, but is he the worst? Also not by a long shot. Not every player in the league can be Johnathon Toews or Kopitar, or Datsyuk or Bergeron (or say Pietrangelo or Doughty on D) that's not the norm for the league at all...the norm is that most guys have gaps in their game and Ovechkin is no exception.
    Agreed. I think last season created a lot of hyperbole. Sure, he was -35. He was +45 five years ago. Was he a Selke candidate that year?
    I think he's a significant buy-low candidate right now. I'm guessing he can be had for much less than he's worth right now.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev