Thread: Any skiers here?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Any skiers here?

I've probably mentioned that I'm a licensed ski instructor and work up in Collingwood every weekend during the winter time and I'm curious if anyone is into skiing here. This year, I'm teaching six year olds, but have taught older and younger people in the past.

Its a passion of mine and I was wondering if any of you guys ski.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Ninja

I don't ski, but I'm a hardcore snowboarder and I was just up at Collingwood (Blue Mountain) this past weekend.

Sick conditions!!! Best snow I've seen in a long time... glad I took advantage too cause the rain is going to wash away the base this week I bet.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I don't ski, but I'm a hardcore snowboarder and I was just up at Collingwood (Blue Mountain) this past weekend.

Sick conditions!!! Best snow I've seen in a long time... glad I took advantage too cause the rain is going to wash away the base this week I bet.
    Oh nice, I teach at Craigleith.

Snow has been great the last two weeks, some fresh powder every now and then too.

Dobber Sports Pro

I've been skiing for 30+ years and snowboarding since the early 90's.

We are heading to Big White for Spring Break this year. Nothing beats skiing/snowboarding in the mountains!
    Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League - 2nd Place
    Teams: 12
    Players: G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT

Goalies: GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV,SV%,SHO
    Pro(23) Keep(17)
    3C - Toews/Spezza/Rask/Backlund/Dubinsky(LW)
    3LW -Palat/Abdelkader(RW)/Henrique(C)/Soderberg(C)
    3RW - Simmonds/Smith(C)/Little(C)/Jenner(C)/Stafford
    6D - Doughty/Ekman-Larsson/Chara/Braun/Klingberg/Stone/Theodore
    2G - Hellybuyck/Lehner
    IR - Wisniewski/Perreault(C)/Savard/Pavelec
    Farm(10)
    C - Dvorak(LW)
    LW -Lindberg(C)
    RW -
    D - Pulock/Gustafsson
    G - Darling/Hutchinson/Condon/Ullmark//Johnson/Raanta

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Rad64 View Post
    I've been skiing for 30+ years and snowboarding since the early 90's.

We are heading to Big White for Spring Break this year. Nothing beats skiing/snowboarding in the mountains!
    That's awesome!

I've been to Panorama, Banff, Whistler, Le Massif and Mont Sainte Anne in Canada. Taos, New Mexico and Alta, Utah are great spots in the US as well.

Hot vacations are overrated.
    Last edited by dmvincent; January 28, 2013 at 7:44 PM.

Dobber Sports Stud

My family used to ski at Craigleith when I was a kid (many, many years ago). I've hung up the skis (occassionally bust them out for a trip out west, been at least 5 years though) but still spend lots of time just south of Collingwood in the Pretty River Valley - snowshoeing and lots of apres ski!

Dobber Sports Ninja

How's Craigleith anyway... I've never checked it out since I always automatically go to Blue when I'm in Collingwood. What's its vertical from peak to base? Any parks?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Chili con Carne View Post
    My family used to ski at Craigleith when I was a kid (many, many years ago). I've hung up the skis (occassionally bust them out for a trip out west, been at least 5 years though) but still spend lots of time just south of Collingwood in the Pretty River Valley - snowshoeing and lots of apres ski!
    Nice!

Other than that one shifty week with rain, the skiing has been great.

Never would have thought I'd cross someone that used to belong to Craigleith like me on these boards. One of the best things about being an instructor is that you get a free badge pretty much anywhere you teach.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

How's Craigleith anyway... I've never checked it out since I always automatically go to Blue when I'm in Collingwood. What's its vertical from peak to base? Any parks?
    I've always loved it, first started skiing at Alpine then decided to join Craigleith. Yep, there's a pretty nice park on Funnel. We just held an interclub freestyle skiing contest this past weekend.

Vertical elevation? Not sure but I think it has one of the highest escarpments in Collingwood.

Dobber Sports Stud

It's been a long time but as I recall it is one of the higher elevations on the escarpment (I think Oastler has the biggest vertical).

dm - are V-hill and Landslide still runs? God this brings back some memories - awesome!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

It's been a long time but as I recall it is one of the higher elevations on the escarpment (I think Oastler has the biggest vertical).

dm - are V-hill and Landslide still runs? God this brings back some memories - awesome!
    Yep, they call that entire area the v-hills. There is Landslide, The Pen, Manitou, Millennium and Venture over there. They replaced the old Triple chair with a high speed quad which they now call the Funnel Express.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by dmvincent View Post
    Yep, they call that entire area the v-hills. There is Landslide, The Pen, Manitou, Millennium and Venture over there. They replaced the old Triple chair with a high speed quad which they now call the Funnel Express.
    I may have to bust out the planks this winter. By my score card the mountain and I were even - time for one last tie breaker on Landslide!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I may have to bust out the planks this winter. By my score card the mountain and I were even - time for one last tie breaker on Landslide!
    Yeah, I teach six-year-olds so I can't go over there during lessons.

Best of luck though, enjoy the skiing if you do get out there!