Thread: Help with prospect add/drops for deep keeper

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Help with prospect add/drops for deep keeper

If current NHL-NHLPA talks result in a new CBA, there will be a significant renewed interest in my pool (the one in sig) over the next couple of weeks so I figure this is a good time to figure out if there any obvious roster upgrades I should make via waiver add-drops. We do not use a farm team so I can't afford to carry many prospects, so I tend to lean towards advanced prospects or elite guys like Galchenyuk. Here are prospects of interest that are available (I am more interested in some than others but do not want to taint your advice).

Forwards available: Tangradi, B Butler, Tyler Johnson, Brett Ritchie, Tim Kennedy, Panik, JT Brown, Killorn, Hartikainen, JT Brown, James Sheppard, Cizikas, Brock Nelson, Kabanov, Da Costa, JT Miller.

Dmen available: Wiercioch, Krug, Brennan, Ekholm, B Dillon, Kostka, Clendening, Oleksiak, Petrovich, Scandella.

I would be interested in whether you see any upgrades (and who of my current roster you would drop to pick up etc).

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by His Dudeness; December 29, 2012 at 7:25 PM.
    24teams;27players(20roster,7bench)dynasty(full keeper);
    Cap league based on NHL salaries (not cap hit);
    pool points:
    F/C: G 4pts; A 4pts; +/- 2pts
    D(min5,max9): G 8pts; A 5pts; +/- 4pts
    G(min2,max3): W 9pts; OTL 5pts; SO 4pts
    extra points for PPP

F:Kucherov,Kessel,Thornton,Galchenyuk,Hornqvist,Tr ochek,Atkinson,Jenner,SamBennett,Namestnikov,Point ,DShore,ZSanford,DStrome,ANylander,Guentzel,Kapane n,Kamenev
    D:Klingberg,Vatanen,Krug,Stralman,Pulock,Hanifin,W alman
    G:Fleury,Murray

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post
    If current NHL-NHLPA talks result in a new CBA, there will be a significant renewed interest in my pool (the one in sig) over the next couple of weeks so I figure this is a good time to figure out if there any obvious roster upgrades I should make via waiver add-drops. We do not use a farm team so I can't afford to carry many prospects, so I tend to lean towards advanced prospects or elite guys like Galchenyuk. Here are prospects of interest that are available (I am more interested in some than others but do not want to taint your advice).

Forwards available: Tangradi, B Butler, Tyler Johnson, Brett Ritchie, Tim Kennedy, Panik, JT Brown, Killorn, Hartikainen, JT Brown, James Sheppard, Cizikas, Brock Nelson, Kabanov, Da Costa, JT Miller.

Dmen available: Wiercioch, Krug, Brennan, Ekholm, B Dillon, Kostka, Clendening, Oleksiak, Petrovich, Scandella.

I would be interested in whether you see any upgrades (and who of my current roster you would drop to pick up etc).

Thanks in advance.
    I'd drop Gerbe, Perreault and Leblanc for Butler, Ritchie and Kabanov. Butler has a chance to play himself into a scoring line role with NJ and has been playing really well in the A as of late. He's worth a shot, imo. If you're going for pure upside then I'd take Miller over Butler and walk away with Miller, Ritchie and Kabanov.
    Last edited by One87; December 29, 2012 at 10:34 PM.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Looking at your team it looks like a Mid level team, that could use an injection of talent and guys that will approch it quickly... Also Being a full keeper you can take advantage of youth for now or and the future...

My drops: Gerbe, Perreault, Leblanc (as posted by One87) and Colborne, Selanne St. Louis... (last 2 are unpopular, but are at the end of thier careers, throw them out there to cloud other teams judgement on takeing them, keeping more usefull players open for yourself)

Wiercioch and Scandella I'd add on D... your point system rewards offencive D that are on good offencive teams... Wiercioch has a big shot from the point sand sees good PP time... he also has 8 goals on the season so far... Also Ottawa's strong D and good offence, solid goalies... his +18 should be translateable to the NHL also (not as strong but still should be in the +)... Scandella has already been praised by Wild coaches as thier best Dman and should jump into top 4 minutes when the NHL resumes, he has offensive capabilities, and add in as before... Minny injected strength in forwards and defence in the off season, and they still have Backstrom and Harding... Scandella's predictions as a result look good... Also both D have a strong trend to get much stronger long term and stablize your D for a long time... (you already have a good build there)

for me the forwards your posting arn't going to help you short term... most are on the fringe, questionable, role fillers or a couple years still aways...

The 4 that interest me the most are Brett Ritchie, Richard Panik, J.T. Miller, and Da Costa... but they aren't in good positions to make NHL impacts now...

Your next Tier are Killorn/Brown/Johnson, (you figure out who may make Tampa cause I can't) Nelson/Cizikas/Kabanov (again competing for similer ice, my advantage is Nelson, but as a 3rd liner) Harikainen may make Edmonton as a 4th liner with limited upside...

Tim Kennedy/Bobby Butler are no better than Perreault and Gerbe as depth...

Sheppard is a Gamble...

Tangradi is under preforming and unlikely to live up to the hype...

In your position I'd swap the 6 I mentioned, then deal for anouther forward from a position of strength being your D... be it Enstrom or Edler for 2 solid Forwards or one of your hot prospect D for a good core forward...

I don't feel that with whats avalible you can move yourself up too much forward, but you can solidify your young talent and add assets that can be moved for what you need later...

Also I like your Quote in your sig and I must relate it to what I mentioned with Selanne and St Louis... Both are question marks at their age and in the future... it may sound Stupid to throw them out now for nothing... but anouther team may react and grab them to throw you back something you can use... Making it rather Clever for you....
    Last edited by Jason_Banks; December 29, 2012 at 9:57 PM.
    Current Roster:

F: H Sedin, Plekanec, Perry, Cammalleri, Oshie, Stepan, Anisimov, Kunitz, Justin Williams, Little, Baertchi, Huberdeau, Eberle, Rattie, Hoffman, Holland, Horvat, Dano, Dal Colle, Kerdiles

D: Boumeester, Green, Carlson, Del Zotto, Myers, Alzner, M Staal, Pouliot, Gormley, Mueller

G: Varlamov, Mrazek, Niemi, Vasilevski, Ramo, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Or you trade Selanne and St Louis and get something worthwhile for them instead of random third tier prospects. Throwing them away for nothing is really powerful stupid.

I also wouldn't drop Gerbe for a scrub like Butler. Gerbe produces in the NHL even if he plays on the third line. That's valuable and if he ever lands in a better situation, watch out. Butler? He had his chance with Spezza and if you can't produce with Spezza, you're out.

Scandella will not get past Suter or Spurgeon for PP time and then he'll have Brodin and Dumba to contend with for PP time in the future. Pass.

I could live with dropping Perreault and Leblanc for Tyler Johnson and Ritchie, or perhaps Wiercioch if you want a dman. All the others are just too uncertain and I wouldn't give up on Colborne just yet. If he figures out the pro game and how not to suck he'll pretty much have bigger upside than all the FA guys. Too early to give up on that.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Stud

Thanks for the responses so far. I feel the need for a few additions or clarifications. I have won this pool the last 3 seasons and done so each time by a fair margin, so the team you see is a championship team - it is a deep league after all. In those circumstances there is little trade market for guys like Selanne and MSL, and those old guys are what help me win each year because they are way undervalued by other poolies who are constantly chasing the next big thing. That said, in order to get a bit younger, this last off-season I did manage to trade (by way of age and salary dump) Ray Whitney, Dan Boyle, Bertuzzi and Corvo. Also, I view my D as my greatest weakness rather than my greatest strength - as my sig says, we need to start 5 D, and I barely have 5 NHL D. Finally, I am hesitant to drop established NHLers for prospects, I am looking more to drop prospects for prospects and only if there is a clear upgrade. Thanks again!
    pool points:
    extra points for PPP

F:Kucherov,Kessel,Thornton,Galchenyuk,Hornqvist,Tr ochek,Atkinson,Jenner,SamBennett,Namestnikov,Point ,DShore,ZSanford,DStrome,ANylander,Guentzel,Kapane n,Kamenev

Dobber Sports Guru

Dropping St.Louis would be stupid. Don't do it.

I would drop Leblanc and Perreault for Brock Nelson and Eric Tangradi. Lots of other good choices there too but I'd go with those two.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Stud

Trying to glean some concensus advice from the responses so far and here is what I've come up with:

1. Leblanc is droppable (per advice). He looked pretty good down the stretch last year for the Habs and started well in the AHL this year before getting injured - he's been slow to get back from that. Based on advice so far, I think he's the most likely I'd drop to pick up one of the other guys.

2. Perreault is droppable (per advice). I think I'll hold onto him. His point totals have gone up 3 years in a row and last year's 30 points and +9 was good production at his salary level. I'd also like to see how he fits in with the Oates-coached Caps.

3. No mention of dropping Vatanen, Colborne (and one argument in favour of keeping him despite his crappy play this year), Conacher or Sgarbossa. That in itself is useful feedback.

No real concensus for who the best pick up would be.

Thanks again for the feedback so far - I've rep'd those who have responded (except One87 - for some reason the system won't let me rep him again without spreading more love elsewhere).
    pool points:
    extra points for PPP

Dobber Sports Pro

Honestly, there's really no one on that list that I'd take over any of your roster players or prospects. I'd stand pat. Unless, that is, you can do a 2 for 1 to open up a roster spot.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Dobber Sports Stud

I personally think your team looks very good, I can't see your team not being a serious contender. With that said I defiantly hang on to Perreault, as he's a proven player and will put up decent points, and should continue to get better. I think Gerbe is worth keeping as well as he will be able to contriubte to your team right away, and I think he's capable of putting more points than he's put up thus far in his career.

On defense you look quite good, I wouldn't consider dropping any of your current D for any of those available.

Brett Ritchie is an interesting player, I like his potential, but I don't think you have anyone on your roster I would drop for him, same thing applies to Kabanov.

I like JT Brown, I doubt he'll become the best player of those who are available, but I think he's worth keeping an eye on, as I think can bring immediate help to your team. I would add him in place of Colborne.

Dobber Sports Stud

Thanks all who responded. Some food for thought. I'm a bit surprised nobody recommended Clendening, second in rookie D points in the AHL (22 points in 30 games).
    pool points:
    extra points for PPP

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Clendening's interesting, but personally I haven't added him to my team because I feel he would have to move past Seabrook, Keith and Leddy to get proper scoring opportunity minutes and I just don't see that happening fairly soon.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Stud

Looking at your team again, I can't see how you wouldn't be considered the absolute favourite to win.

Unless I'm reading something wrong, you could pretty much do anything you wanted and things would be fine.

You could drop some of your lesser proven players for potential, because your team is so good. I probably wouldn't just in case of injuries, but it's an option you most certainly have with the team you have.

Defiantly much better than being a middle of the pack type team, unless again I'm reading something wrong.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Essej View Post
    Looking at your team again, I can't see how you wouldn't be considered the absolute favourite to win.

Unless I'm reading something wrong, you could pretty much do anything you wanted and things would be fine.

You could drop some of your lesser proven players for potential, because your team is so good. I probably wouldn't just in case of injuries, but it's an option you most certainly have with the team you have.

Defiantly much better than being a middle of the pack type team, unless again I'm reading something wrong.
    . Thanks. Yes it's a good team (three wins in a row is not too shabby in a 24 tea, league) but always looking to improve.
    pool points:
    extra points for PPP