Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lundqvist, Rinne or Rask Salary Cap League

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Lundqvist, Rinne or Rask Salary Cap League

Goalies are extremely valuable in my points only league. We also have a salary cap, which makes Rask all that more attractive. Should this be the area where I try to save on cap space, or do I splurge on a Goalie that could be just as valuable as Malkin (points wise)? Also please rank with and without salary cap thanks!

Dobber Sports Deity

With or without the salary cap, I would always take the best option available and to me, thats Lundqvist. Goalies are one position worth spending max value for. Note I didnt say top dollar, but max value and Lundqvist offers the maximum value for the dollar spent.

Can you offer your stat catagories as it pertains to goalies, just for information.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Guru

Lundy is the best goalie in the world playing in a great team so I'd take him even in cap league. However I'd roll the dice with Rask over Rinne. Rask is cheaper and plays behind much stronger team.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Pro

If you have a younger team that might not compete for a few years, I'd go with Rask. If you are in win now mode, its Lundy without a doubt.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky71 View Post
    Goalies are extremely valuable in my points only league. We also have a salary cap, which makes Rask all that more attractive. Should this be the area where I try to save on cap space, or do I splurge on a Goalie that could be just as valuable as Malkin (points wise)? Also please rank with and without salary cap thanks!
    Go big or go home Rocky! Take Lundy here if you can fit him under your cap. Cap or no cap i'm taking i) Lundy ii) Rinne iii) Rask

Unlike Rask who's yet to suit up for a full season, i'm taking Pekka here over Rask. He's a sure thing and is good for 70-72 starts.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Go with Lundy, Rask will be up for a new contract pretty quick so there might not be too much of a difference between them. Go with the sure thing and trim your salary in the defence in a pts only league. Forwards and goaltending wins pts only leagues.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    With or without the salary cap, I would always take the best option available and to me, thats Lundqvist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
    Lundy is the best goalie in the world playing in a great team so I'd take him even in cap league.
    I agree with the above ^ 100%

Lundqvist all the way.

The Wolverine

Goalies are extremely valuable in my points only league.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Can you offer your stat catagories as it pertains to goalies, just for information.
    This could be important, even if it's determining between your second and third favourite. For example, if there are just wins and shutouts, it may not make as much difference. If there are saves as well, that could have a greater effect.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    This could be important, even if it's determining between your second and third favourite. For example, if there are just wins and shutouts, it may not make as much difference. If there are saves as well, that could have a greater effect.

Thanks for the help guys.

Cats for G's are W=2, SO=5

Scoring: G=1, A=1

Last season top scorers were;

Malkin = 109 pts
    Rinne = 106 pts
    Lundqvist= 104 pts
    Mike Smith = 102 pts
    Quick= 102 pts.

All these players were ahead of guys like Stamkos and Giroux. I hope to be able to get my hands on Lundy, but I have a more realistic shot at either Rinne or Rask.

Dobber Sports Genius

Malkin = 109 pts
    Rinne = 106 pts
    Lundqvist= 104 pts
    Mike Smith = 102 pts
    Quick= 102 pts.

All these players were ahead of guys like Stamkos and Giroux. I hope to be able to get my hands on Lundy, but I have a more realistic shot at either Rinne or Rask.
    In my points only league, where goalies get 2pts for win, 5 for SO the top point getters in our league were 1. Quick 2. Rinne 3. Smith 4. Lundy 5. Malkin. With only 6 points separating Quick from Malkin. Well worth the shot IMO @ trying to land Rinne. Good luck
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Call of Doughty View Post
    In my points only league, where goalies get 2pts for win, 5 for SO the top point getters in our league were 1. Quick 2. Rinne 3. Smith 4. Lundy 5. Malkin. With only 6 points separating Quick from Malkin. Well worth the shot IMO @ trying to land Rinne. Good luck
    We also count assits for Goalies, and Rinne had 5 helpers last year. Not that I'll factor that in my decision

The Wolverine

Malkin = 109 pts
    Rinne = 106 pts
    Lundqvist= 104 pts
    Mike Smith = 102 pts
    Quick= 102 pts.

Not to get totally off track, but I think you need to be careful in using this type of comparison when evaluating goalies in your league. Comparing their point totals is not the most effective way of determining how valuable they are, rather you should look at the gaps between the top players and below within each position.

Using your example of the top players and ones just below them, to me that would show that there are higher point getters for goalies and if I miss one of the top ones, I could confidently find a goalie whose value is perceived less but performs like one of the best. Howard had 100 points, Niemi had 98, Bryzgalov had 96. A few others in the 90s. How many offensive players in the 90s last season? Three.

I know this isn't your main question, I just wanted to show that more goalies who are higher point getters doesn't mean they are more valuable. But back to your question and expand a bit, do you need to go after one of the big three? Their values are at their highest and you might be able to snag a guy with a lower perceived value but give you more bang for the buck, so to speak. Heck, Lehtonen had 94 points in your setup. I know salaries matter so that could change things but I just wanted to make you think of a possible different option.

Dobber Sports Ace

Not to get totally off track, but I think you need to be careful in using this type of comparison when evaluating goalies in your league. Comparing their point totals is not the most effective way of determining how valuable they are, rather you should look at the gaps between the top players and below within each position.

Using your example of the top players and ones just below them, to me that would show that there are higher point getters for goalies and if I miss one of the top ones, I could confidently find a goalie whose value is perceived less but performs like one of the best. Howard had 100 points, Niemi had 98, Bryzgalov had 96. A few others in the 90s. How many offensive players in the 90s last season? Three.

I know this isn't your main question, I just wanted to show that more goalies who are higher point getters doesn't mean they are more valuable. But back to your question and expand a bit, do you need to go after one of the big three? Their values are at their highest and you might be able to snag a guy with a lower perceived value but give you more bang for the buck, so to speak. Heck, Lehtonen had 94 points in your setup. I know salaries matter so that could change things but I just wanted to make you think of a possible different option.

Interesting point on the value concept. We protect 6 players (13 team league) and most won't be protecting a Goalie (exceptions being Fleury, Quick, Niemi, Smith, Price and Howard). The re-entry draft will be G and D Heavy, with most teams preferring to protect forwards.

While I won't be able to draft a 100 point forward, Lundy and Rinne give me a shot at a consitent 100 point performer. I would also be carrying $7M of cap hit for my Goalie. Thats why I threw Rask's name in my list.

I could make this a numbers game, and play poker with the other 7 teams looking for a Goalie, or just take the sure thing, and gamble with the remaining forwards.

Dobber Sports Sage

Of course.

I don't understand how people can blindly say to take Lundy. Are you using this year's salaries? If so, Rinne is out of the question since he makes more than Lundy this year. So it comes down to Rask at basically half the cost of Lundy. What is your cap? What do you project Rask and Lundy's points this year? If you say Lundy is 105 pts and Rask is 90, is that worth a 100% increase? How much of your cap do you want to spend on goalies? How many goalies will you roster? Maybe it is better to take a Rask and another mid-priced goalie like Halak or Niemi and spend the goalie savings on another position. I'm not necessarily saying I would not draft Lundqvist but I would want to know some of these answers before I map out my strategy. Good luck.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by pts9889 View Post
    Of course.

I don't understand how people can blindly say to take Lundy. Are you using this year's salaries? If so, Rinne is out of the question since he makes more than Lundy this year. So it comes down to Rask at basically half the cost of Lundy. What is your cap? What do you project Rask and Lundy's points this year? If you say Lundy is 105 pts and Rask is 90, is that worth a 100% increase? How much of your cap do you want to spend on goalies? How many goalies will you roster? Maybe it is better to take a Rask and another mid-priced goalie like Halak or Niemi and spend the goalie savings on another position. I'm not necessarily saying I would not draft Lundqvist but I would want to know some of these answers before I map out my strategy. Good luck.
    I said Lundy easily because he has a proven track record of being the best goalie in the league on a consistent basis annually. You cant buy that type of consistency. Well actually you can and his name is Lundqvist. Sure Rask brings a lot to the table but I would rather invest my salary cap money in the consistency offered by Lundy. You know exactly what you get with him. That makes the choice easy.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."