Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jean-Gabriel Pageau

Banned

Default Jean-Gabriel Pageau

Jean Gabriel-Pageau has been a favourite of mine since he first burst onto the scene last year in Gatineau (just across the river here in Ottawa).

Pageau, the star Captain of the Gatineau Olympiques, drafted in the 4th round (96th overall) by the Ottawa Senators, was named the QMJHL's Second Star of the Month for October.

Pageau scored 14 goals and added 7 assists (21 points) in 12 games in October.

He is making a case to be invited to Team Canada's World Junior camp in December.

Pageau is a small forward at about 5'09" 171lbs, but he is an exciting forward who loves to score and carry his team. The fact that he was named Captain is also an impressive accomplishment. His coach has compared him to former 'Pyque and now-NHL star Claude Giroux.

Pageau was brilliant in last year's playoffs for Gatineau, scoring 13 goals and adding 16 assists for 29 points in 24 games. He went head-to-head with Sean Couturier and came out on top by a wide margin. He then went head-to-head with Jonathan Huberdeau and nearly propelled his club to a QMJHL championship, but in the end, the powerful Sea Dogs won the series.

Given his size, he has a long way to go if he ever wants to crack the NHL but keep an eye on this QMJHL star. It certainly won't cost you much to snag him in your keeper league.
    Last edited by Big Ev; November 1, 2011 at 11:08 AM.

Banned

nobody probably cares, lol, but Pageau traded to Chicoutimi today.

Dobber Sports Ace

Thanks for the update, It will be interesting to keep tabs on this guy.
    10 Team Yahoo Semi Keeper H2H Daily lineups (Keep 5 Vets & 5 Rookies), Play 3C, 3RW, 3LW, 4D, 2G daily

C-Giroux, Matthews (R), Petterson, Barzal (R)
    LW-Rakell
    RW-Tarasenko, Aho (R), Boser (R)
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

G, A, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, +/-, GWG, SOG, Hits, Blocks, PIM
    Wins, Saves, Goals Against, Shutouts

Rookies Eligible till 170 GP

Dobber Sports Wizard

I'm a JGP believer. Only time will tell, but he has that "it" factor, imo.
    Last edited by One87; January 9, 2012 at 12:14 PM.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Ace

Im in an extremely deep league and would u guys drop either J Ward or Kopecky for him. Both arent doing much on my roster and my team isnt playing as good as it should be so I wouldnt mind continuing to add prospects like that to continue to help my depth
    10 Team Yahoo Semi Keeper H2H Daily lineups (Keep 5 Vets & 5 Rookies), Play 3C, 3RW, 3LW, 4D, 2G daily

C-Giroux, Matthews (R), Petterson, Barzal (R)
    LW-Rakell
    RW-Tarasenko, Aho (R), Boser (R)
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

G, A, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, +/-, GWG, SOG, Hits, Blocks, PIM
    Wins, Saves, Goals Against, Shutouts

Rookies Eligible till 170 GP

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Riverboat Danglers View Post
    Im in an extremely deep league and would u guys drop either J Ward or Kopecky for him. Both arent doing much on my roster and my team isnt playing as good as it should be so I wouldnt mind continuing to add prospects like that to continue to help my depth
    I'd be fine with letting Ward go. JGP is a SERIOUS sleeper.

W:

Dobber Sports Pro

I'm pretty sad I won't be able to see him again, locally. Not much reason to go see Gatineau now.
    Great player.
    ZFHL
    ------------
    Ovechkin-Couture-Kovalchuk
    Benn-Ott-Eriksson
    Halischuk-Berglund-S.Thornton
    Bowman-Legwand-Mitchell
    Faulk-Orlov
    Martin-Y.Weber
    Wilson-Smid
    Niemi

Butler,Horak,Nodl,Omark,Bartulis, Carson,Demers,Staios,Garon,Schneider

PROSPECTS
    Nyquist,Bennett,Guptill,Haula,Knight, Kristo,Ranford,Rieder,Sundher,Barberio
    Dumoulin,Deslauriers,Janosik,Klefbom
    Ness,Sproul,Vatanen,Poulin

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by lockedge View Post
    I'm pretty sad I won't be able to see him again, locally. Not much reason to go see Gatineau now.
    Great player.
    How do you think he projects NHL wise? I know his former coach compared him to Giroux. Who does he remind you of?

W:

Dobber Sports Pro

Well, I had a big post here but the forums ate it, so I'll give a TL;DR of it.

Giroux has a better instinctual base compared to Pageau, in terms of reacting properly and creatively in stressful situations and when surprised/pressured. Pageau can read the game very very well, and plays it very very well, but he can be a bit straightforward when put in those high pressure situations and I'm a bit concerned that his ability to make his teammates better won't translate at the NHL level. Giroux for certain does make his linemates better. Pageau, I'm not convinced, and I think he'll be easier for players of NHL caliber to read.

However, he's tireless, he's so committed to improving, and he thinks the game incredibly well. His size hasn't been a real factor, and with his ethic, I'm not sure it will be a huge obstacle.

Don't listen to the comparisons to Giroux, he certainly has that fire, and plays a similar game for sure, but he lacks that upside IMO. That said, I think if things pan out he could turn out like a smaller Patrick Sharp.

Essentially, there's a small difference between the best scorers in the world and guys who put up 65 points. What few things Giroux does better than Pageau are exactly the things that made him elite from the get go. Could Pageau miraculously obtain such abilities? I guess it's possible, but I've rarely seen that kind of talent improved upon at such an age.

My advice is, if you're in a deep enough league, grab him. If he lights the playoffs on fire this year, use the ensuing hype and trade him. Unless you're in a dynasty league where depth is everything, where it would be best to keep him unless an incredible offer was tendered.
    ZFHL
    ------------
    Ovechkin-Couture-Kovalchuk
    Benn-Ott-Eriksson
    Halischuk-Berglund-S.Thornton
    Bowman-Legwand-Mitchell
    Faulk-Orlov
    Martin-Y.Weber
    Wilson-Smid
    Niemi

Butler,Horak,Nodl,Omark,Bartulis, Carson,Demers,Staios,Garon,Schneider

PROSPECTS
    Nyquist,Bennett,Guptill,Haula,Knight, Kristo,Ranford,Rieder,Sundher,Barberio
    Dumoulin,Deslauriers,Janosik,Klefbom
    Ness,Sproul,Vatanen,Poulin

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by lockedge View Post
    Well, I had a big post here but the forums ate it, so I'll give a TL;DR of it.

Giroux has a better instinctual base compared to Pageau, in terms of reacting properly and creatively in stressful situations and when surprised/pressured. Pageau can read the game very very well, and plays it very very well, but he can be a bit straightforward when put in those high pressure situations and I'm a bit concerned that his ability to make his teammates better won't translate at the NHL level. Giroux for certain does make his linemates better. Pageau, I'm not convinced, and I think he'll be easier for players of NHL caliber to read.

However, he's tireless, he's so committed to improving, and he thinks the game incredibly well. His size hasn't been a real factor, and with his ethic, I'm not sure it will be a huge obstacle.

Don't listen to the comparisons to Giroux, he certainly has that fire, and plays a similar game for sure, but he lacks that upside IMO. That said, I think if things pan out he could turn out like a smaller Patrick Sharp.

Essentially, there's a small difference between the best scorers in the world and guys who put up 65 points. What few things Giroux does better than Pageau are exactly the things that made him elite from the get go. Could Pageau miraculously obtain such abilities? I guess it's possible, but I've rarely seen that kind of talent improved upon at such an age.

My advice is, if you're in a deep enough league, grab him. If he lights the playoffs on fire this year, use the ensuing hype and trade him. Unless you're in a dynasty league where depth is everything, where it would be best to keep him unless an incredible offer was tendered.
    Damn bottomless pitt of a forum! Thanks for even giving this much feedback.

W:

Banned

quick update on Pageau. With Stephane Da Costa injured at the moment, Pageau has made Binghamton for the time being and looks to be the team's #1 centre heading into Saturday's opener. He has been skating with Mika Zibanejad and Jakob Silfverberg during practice and in the team's first pre-season game.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    quick update on Pageau. With Stephane Da Costa injured at the moment, Pageau has made Binghamton for the time being and looks to be the team's #1 centre heading into Saturday's opener. He has been skating with Mika Zibanejad and Jakob Silfverberg during practice and in the team's first pre-season game.
    Good stuff!

Just curious if you have an NHL ETA for Pageau?

Thanks buddy.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dmvincent View Post
    Good stuff!

Just curious if you have an NHL ETA for Pageau?

Thanks buddy.
    No, don't have one. Long term, not a guarantee.

The Great One

I don't care how he plays, he will be bumped when Da Costa returns....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    I don't care how he plays, he will be bumped when Da Costa returns....
    Da Costa will most likely play with Mike Hoffman and Andre Petersson, so no, I don't think Pageau will be bumped even when he comes back. He'd be bumped if his play was lacking.