Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sell high on Holtby?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Sell high on Holtby?

Holtby's been the top fantasy goalie for the past couple of seasons. Do you all see that continuing, or is now the time to sell-high (in a dynasty league that values wins quite a lot)?
    And if it's the time to sell high, who would you sell him for? That's my biggest question, as I don't see anyone who's as "money in the bank" as Holtby around the league anywhere near his age.
    Price is older (and won't play more than 60 games or so ever again). Murray's got injury issues (and I'm not sure one would be able to acquire him for Holtby anyways - I know I wouldn't!). Who else? Wouldn't trust Bob enough to trade Holtby for him. Bishop's older and injury prone. Quick is older. Jones is young, but the Sharks are regressing. Allen is injury prone (plus I own him anyways, but for the purposes of this discussion I put him in here).
    Maybe Vasilevskiy, if someone was a real believer in the Lightning, but that would be a major gamble. What about Frederik Andersen, if someone believes the Leafs are gonna reach an elite level.
    I guess Talbot would be the only serious contender here. And would you guys even consider that?

So back to my question, even if you think it's the right time to sell high on Holtby, is there anyone even worth selling him for?

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Sell high on Holtby?

For another goalie 1 for 1? No, I think Holtby is still #1.

Vague answer, but it really depends on what you can get... if you're curious about what he can fetch, put him on the block or let your league know he is available. Best approach when moving superstars, let other owners start a bidding war.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Holtby does not fit the definition of 'sell high' His value is not higher currently than is should be. He's a top 5 goalie and has held that status now for 3+years. His value is stable.

a sell high is someone who's value is overinflated either due to an abnormal season, outperforming career output. This wasn't even Holby's best season.

I would rather have Holtby than Price. Wsh will contend for the Pres. Trophy again, whereas I fear Mtl. will be battling just to make the playoffs.

The only way I move a Holtby is if I'm getting overpaid to do so. Wsh is where Tor, Edm hope to be. Talbot playing 72 games to match Holtby's stat-line is not sustainable. It should be another 2yrs before Edm is floating 110pt seasons - same with Tor.

Talbot and Andersen appear to becoming the next elite of the next tier in goalies, but not elite goalies ala Price/Holby.

I would also ensure you have a solid 2nd option. If Holtby is your only #1, then no, you effectively weaken that position too much. If you have say Jones/Dubnyk as your #2 option currently, it's not a bad move as your still insulated. As long as you get a solid tier 2 option as part of a package in return.

Holtby though, is a lot like Kane, Crosby, Karlsson, Burns. you only move him for an elite return. He's one of those players you attempt to obtain at all costs.

But the terminology of 'sell high' doesn't fit with an elite player. he would need to get on a 15 SO, 50-W pace to be considered a sell high considering his baseline status.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Magnificent One

There was goalie coach turnover for Washington this offseason, and that's significant since Holtby's emergence was tied to the last goalie coach change. I think he's played his best hockey, and the Caps also stand to take a big step back if not this season then soon. But there is the issue of who to get for him in trade. Why not a Holtby and a body for Murray and a skater upgrade, killing two birds with one stone?
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I paid the price of Schneider and Marner in my sig league for Holtby this offseason and don't think I overpaid at all.

14 Team H2H Cap
    G A DPTS FOW SOG STP H+B | W SV SV% GAA

C: Scheifele, Stamkos (rw), Tavares
    LW: Gaudreau, Giroux (c/rw), Labanc(rw)
    RW: Atkinson, Thompson (c), Keller (lw), Glendening (c)
    D: Klingberg, Gostisbehere, Dumba, Krug (50%), Trouba, McNabb, Gudas
    G: Holtby, Fleury, Markstrom

FARM NOTABLES:
    F: Bokk, A Thomas, Kaprizov, Dorofeyev, Mikheyev
    D: Dalhin, Beaudin, Dunn, Kylington, Harley
    G: Hart, Demko

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Holtby does not fit the definition of 'sell high' His value is not higher currently than is should be. He's a top 5 goalie and has held that status now for 3+years. His value is stable.

a sell high is someone who's value is overinflated either due to an abnormal season, outperforming career output. This wasn't even Holby's best season.

I would rather have Holtby than Price. Wsh will contend for the Pres. Trophy again, whereas I fear Mtl. will be battling just to make the playoffs.

The only way I move a Holtby is if I'm getting overpaid to do so. Wsh is where Tor, Edm hope to be. Talbot playing 72 games to match Holtby's stat-line is not sustainable. It should be another 2yrs before Edm is floating 110pt seasons - same with Tor.

Talbot and Andersen appear to becoming the next elite of the next tier in goalies, but not elite goalies ala Price/Holby.

I would also ensure you have a solid 2nd option. If Holtby is your only #1, then no, you effectively weaken that position too much. If you have say Jones/Dubnyk as your #2 option currently, it's not a bad move as your still insulated. As long as you get a solid tier 2 option as part of a package in return.

Holtby though, is a lot like Kane, Crosby, Karlsson, Burns. you only move him for an elite return. He's one of those players you attempt to obtain at all costs.

But the terminology of 'sell high' doesn't fit with an elite player. he would need to get on a 15 SO, 50-W pace to be considered a sell high considering his baseline status.
    +1 to all of this.
    In wins only there isn't another goalie in the league I'm trading straight up for Holtby. If you're in compete now mode he's the best goalie option for the next 2-3 years.
    The only reason to move him is you're in some type of large rebuild and can get a killer package of young players, or your team needs significant help at F or D and you can afford the drop-off.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Deity

I think he stays at, or damn near, the top for years. I'd be holding unless you got an offer you simply couldn't refuse.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    There was goalie coach turnover for Washington this offseason, and that's significant since Holtby's emergence was tied to the last goalie coach change. I think he's played his best hockey, and the Caps also stand to take a big step back if not this season then soon. But there is the issue of who to get for him in trade. Why not a Holtby and a body for Murray and a skater upgrade, killing two birds with one stone?
    Yeah, but Mitch Korn is still with the Caps, just in a new role. He's still overseeing the goaltending aspects of the entire franchise. I wouldn't be worried about this turnover.

14 Team H2H Cap

FARM NOTABLES:

The Magnificent One

Read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitch_Korn, then look at Holtby's stats before and after Korn became goalie coach. Then read this: http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washin...s-organization, and try not to worry just a little if you're a Holtby owner.
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

The Magnificent One

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
    Yeah, but Mitch Korn is still with the Caps, just in a new role. He's still overseeing the goaltending aspects of the entire franchise. I wouldn't be worried about this turnover.
    See my prior reply - yes he's still there, but in his new role won't be hands-on with Holtby like he once was. It's like a coach being promoted to GM.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    See my prior reply - yes he's still there, but in his new role won't be hands-on with Holtby like he once was. It's like a coach being promoted to GM.
    Yeah, I read that before posting my reply. As a Holtby owner, this doesn't worry me all that much. Not like I would be if Korn was gone from the organization all together. He's now the "Director of Goaltending" (wasn't he unofficially that before? lol). It's not like he's moved somewhere that he won't have a hand in the goalies of the team still.

14 Team H2H Cap

FARM NOTABLES:

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by forsbergfan View Post
    Price is older (and won't play more than 60 games or so ever again).
    Please explain.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

I obviously never meant trading Holtby in a 1 for 1 deal. At the same time, even if you are getting a solid + along with another top goalie, if that goalie doesn't become at least a consistent 2nd tier goalie (meaning after Holtby and Price) then it just isn't worth it. So I was asking if there are goalies worth getting along with other pieces for Holtby. RizzieDizzie's points about the goalie coach change have worried me a bit this offseason.

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Please explain.
    http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...ck-from-injury

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

Administrator

Umm, sure. I read this about various teams/starters every summer. Then the puck drops and teams need immediate success.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust