Thread: The Olympics and Player Trade Value

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default The Olympics and Player Trade Value

I was thinking about this a lot today.....I believe these Olympics have really boosted the percieved value of a lot of players, and think that this is an interesting time to try and capitalize on this to improve keeper league rosters. Especially on team Canada, there are a lot of outstanding players that either play on the West Coast or in smaller markets and a lot of magagers did not realize how great they were until watching them for 6 games in the Olympics. Exhibit A would be Jamie Benn. I also think that Carey Price's value is now through the roof in a keeper league.

What other players do you think really increased their fantasy value over the Olympics. Is anyone trying to capitalize on this via trade?
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: The Olympics and Player Trade Value

I would say Doughty increased his value in the short term. He showed that he can still be an offensive force given the right system. Problem is he's not in that system and chances of LA moving to that system are slim, so he will likely return to his status quo (which is still solid in multi-cat) and any hype generated will slow back down.

I would think there'd be a lot of Americans excited about Kessel after his performance. But a lot of people knew what he was before, so I'm not sure his value increased significantly.

Price for sure, as you said. The Latvian goalie perhaps? Ha ha, but his value was incredibly low anyways, so the increase still doesn't really put him on anyones radar.

Dobber Sports Deity

Michael Grabner had a dandy Olympics considering his regular season in New York.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Granlund and Maatta definitely will see a boost in their ownerships.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Thinking of grabbing Maata myself, especially with Martin's injury! And Granland really really shone, was nice to see. Also agree on Doughty, he was a stud......too bad LA is when offense goes to die...
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Sage

Vatanen I would think raised his value more than anyone in respect to were it was before the tournament started
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Jamie Benn has always had trade value in Multicat pools. This exposure sure helps tho too.
    12 team h2h keeper league. No salary
    Keep 35 before prospect draft carry max 45 through season

Multicat scoring: assists-2pts goals-3pts shootoutgoals-2pts
    Gordiehowe-5pts hits-0.25pts pims-0.5pts plus/minus-1pt
    Powerplaypoint-1pt shorthandedpoint-2pts

Goalie cats: ga- (-1pt) sv-0.2pts shutout-3pts wins-5pts

Forwards: stamkos, benn, Marchand, kucherov, panarin, mackinnon, Crosby, Wheeler, Mantha, perron, marchessault, skinner,

Defencemen: Hedman, Krug, Pietrangelo, shatty, ekblad, ekholm

Goalies: Andersen, hellboy, Demko, Wolf (weekly starts)

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime89 View Post
    Granlund and Maatta definitely will see a boost in their ownerships.
    I agree with this - both these guys (especially Granlund) increased their values big time. I also think Vlasic and Zuccarello should see an increase in value.

On the flip side, I hope Vanek's value plummets and people see him for the farce that he is after that embarrassing showing.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    Price for sure, as you said. The Latvian goalie perhaps? Ha ha, but his value was incredibly low anyways, so the increase still doesn't really put him on anyones radar.
    As a matter of fact, I had owned Gudlevskis for a while before the Olympics and interest in him spiked after the Latvia game. I ended up trading him and Del Zotto for Baertschi. I had been bugging that owner about Baertschi for a long time without getting any traction. I was surprised when he came to me and that deal took shape.
    16 team, full keeper
    19 roster players, 15 prospects, 2 farm
    Stats: G, A, PPG, SHG, special teams assists, SOG, FOW, PIM, hits, BS, Tk, +/-, W, SO, saves, s%, GAA, SO saves

C: Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, H. Sedin, J. Staal, Hodgson
    W: Perreault, Atkinson, Dorsett, Jagr, Burrows, Zuccarello, Hagelin, Condra
    D: Karlsson, Keith, OEL, Hamonic, Gudas, Hejda
    G: Price, Rinne

Prospects: Lindholm, Cassels, Perlini, Vesey, Sheahan, Teravainen, Jensen, Ceci, Koekkoek, Emelin, Kulikov, Rundblad, Grubauer, Kuemper

Dobber Sports Initiate

Depending on who you are dealing with, values may not change at all. A lot of us have been burned, or watched other people get burned on small sample size hype one too many times. That said, I think Selanne's name has to be in this conversation. Washed up old man to Olympic MVP (I know...but on paper it says he was) has to have some folks thinking he could be useful down the stretch.