Thread: Oscar Klefbom

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Oscar Klefbom

As of a few weeks ago it was an absolute lock that Klefbom was going back to Sweden. I still think he does, but journalist Johan Eriksson tweeted the following yesterday.

Johan Eriksson ‏@VFeriksson
    Edmonton so eager to have Klefbom in North America that Krüger more or less promised him NHL-minutes. #Oilers

Klefbom says himself that's it's a really tough decision and that he'll have to think about it. #Oilers

Big change from two months ago when staying in Färjestad one more year almost was his only option. #Oilers

Very interesting stuff. I doubt Krueger offered Klefbom NHL minutes, so I can only assume thats some lost in translation stuff, and I don't know how reliable this guy is - I don't know the ins and outs of Swedish media, but perhaps someone else does.

Klefbom is very intriguing to me though. Every time I watch him play, or catch highlights of games, he impresses me. At the Oilers recent development camp Klefbom was clearly a better defenseman than anyone else on the ice.

Should be interesting to see if he does indeed make the jump over this year. My hunch is that he'll go back to the SEL, and I think that's probably the best thing for him, but if he blows everyone away at camp this year (which he is rumoured to be coming to now...) then who knows!

Banned

he has stated today that he will most likely be in Sweden next year:

http://www.hockeysverige.se/article/...tad-trots-allt

Dobber Sports Ninja

I think that's the best bet for both sides. With Petry and Schultz both expected to get a decent amount of time, bringing in another young guy is dangerous.

The SEL is equivalent to the AHL in my mind, so might as well let Klefbom play in a league he is familiar with and has committments to.

Interesting that the article also suggest he was offered playing time in the NHL. Again, I find that extraordinarily hard to believe. Wish it would have said in the article whether he was planning on attending training camp or not. Not sure if it conflicts with the start of his team's regular season in Sweden.

Dobber Sports Ninja

http://www.hockeysverige.se/article/...for-nhl-direkt

Strange, and this article seems to have Klefbom being a little less clear.

Who knows, I guess we'll find out soon.

Banned

to add, with Jonas Brodin probably coming over to NA, Klefbom will get an even bigger role with Farjestad next season, and obviously another go at a gold medal for Sweden at the U-20.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Klefbom will get an even bigger role with Farjestad next season, and obviously another go at a gold medal for Sweden at the U-20.
    That would have been my only concern with him going back to the SEL. I think it would be far more likely for him to get a ton of ice time in the AHL, compared to the SEL, if this past season was any indication. But if he can get an increased role, even say 2nd pairing would likely be great for his development.

Not to say I'm an SEL ice time expert, but his 2 points in 33 games would indicate to me that something wasn't quite right.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Brady19 View Post
    That would have been my only concern with him going back to the SEL. I think it would be far more likely for him to get a ton of ice time in the AHL, compared to the SEL, if this past season was any indication. But if he can get an increased role, even say 2nd pairing would likely be great for his development.

Not to say I'm an SEL ice time expert, but his 2 points in 33 games would indicate to me that something wasn't quite right.
    Yeah, it is very tough for young Swedish D to get points if they aren't playing top-pairing minutes. Hell even if they get more ice time, the points are hard to come by.

Klefbom averaged 13:43 of ice time last year. Jonas Brodin averaged 17:27, so Klefbom's role will increase. Even with the higher ice time, Brodin only had 8 points himself in 49 games.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I hope Klef goes back to SWE next year. Will be good for his development.

However, I heard amazing things about him from camp.