Thread: Where does Nuge fit

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Where does Nuge fit

League and team details are in my signature.

The owner of RNH is getting restless and has told me that he would like to move him. If I go after him, where would he rank within my forward keepers.

Giroux
    Tavares
    Backstrom
    Kovalchuk
    Getzlaf
    Benn

I am currently in second place and should be in first soon. So I don't want to overpay and lose production by picking up a slumping player. But Nuge just has so much potential, plus there are Oiler fans that would overpay once he breaks out.

14 Team, Keep14 Farm5, 82GP Cap/Position
    Skaters: Points only, Goalies 2ptWin/3ptSO
    Start: 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,2G
    C- Crosby, Zibanejad, Couturier, Zacha, Frost
    LW- Marchand, Huberdeau, McTavish, Rackell, Kuzmenko
    RW- Konecny, Necas, Caufield, Jarvis, Lafreniere
    D- Hughes, Carlson, Werenski, Chychrun, Andersson, Dobson, Weegar
    G- Andersen, Merzlikins, Daccord, Jones
    Farm- Johnston, Foerster, Tarasov, Hutson, Reinbacher
    Picks-1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,11

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Why would you go after a player that won't help you to win now?

IMO he would be dead last in your forward keepers, the others are more developped and therefore less risky than RNH.

Plus when (if) he does explode your team might not be in a position where you can win.

IMO you're taking an unnecessary risk that could make you lose this season (unless you get him at a huge bargain).
    6 teams, keeper, 12 Forwards, 6 Dmen, 2 Goalies and 5 Benched.
    Points only (2 for goals by Dmen)
    Limit of 3 seasons per player and salary cap of 93M.

Names in red are on their third seasons

F: Neal, Kadri, Hodgson, Backstrom, Conacher, Ribeiro, Hall, Zetterberg, Patrick Kane, Tavares, Kessel, Duchene
    D: Boyle, Kronwall, Pietrangelo, Subban, Weber, OEL
    G: Smith, Howard
    B: Tarasenko, Muzzin,Enstrom, Bobrovsky

Administrator

He wouldn't make the cut for me personally. There's an argument to be made that you would keep him ahead of Getzlaf or Benn but I wouldn't make it. I like proven over potential, especially when the upside either way is pretty much equal.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    He wouldn't make the cut for me personally. There's an argument to be made that you would keep him ahead of Getzlaf or Benn but I wouldn't make it. I like proven over potential, especially when the upside either way is pretty much equal.
    I disagree about the upside, RNHs is much higher, but it's an unnecessary risk

Dobber Sports Stud

When you play Keeper, you should be thinking over a 2-3 year period. Max.

I shouldn't even have to talk about why Giroux and Tavares are better than RNH.
    Backstrom and Kovalchuk are 1st tier stars and will be putting better numbers over RNH for a while.
    Benn is the franchise player for the Stars and does everything. Peripherals all hot.
    Getzlaf is an olympic-level player.

Will RNH be better than any of these guys in 2-3 years? Probably not.

In 5 years? Maybe Backstrom.
    ------------OLD------------
    15 Team Yahoo Rotisserie (1YR)
    Max Games Played
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2G, 4BN
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO

C: Giroux, Stastny, Fisher
    LW: Benn, Hall, Lucic, Hartnell
    RW: Stamkos, Hossa, Stafford
    D: Karlsson, Byfuglien, Brodie, Borowiecki, Pouliot
    G: Elliott, Allen, Dubnyk, Stalock
    IR: P. Kane

Notable Trades:
    Khudobin -> Hartnell (Oct 12)
    Ehrhoff -> Lupul (Nov 12)
    Greiss -> Hossa (Nov 21)
    Forsberg, Kucherov, Stalock -> Stamkos (Dec 20)
    Varlamov -> Lucic (Jan 20)
    E. Staal -> Byfuglien (Jan 20)
    Halak, Perreault -> Benn (Feb 10)

Dobber Sports Deity

Great thread and great timing. For the team in my sig, I have a guy interested in my Tavares and is throwing RNH+ at me for Tavares+ (when we trade the numbers coming and going have to be the same, 1 for 1, 2 for 2, etc), mainly because he knows I am an Oilers fan. I told him the + coming from him would have to be pretty damn solid and he would be getting back crap from me for my + to even come close to evening it out.

I am not trying to hijack your thread, just wanted to say thanks for putting this out there. I am going through a similar issue with my money league. Its times like this you have to use your head and not your heart so even for me as an Oilers fan, I won't over pay for him.

To answer your question I dont see him ahead of any of those guys today. I know what you are saying when you say "he has so much potential" but stay the course with your proven players. You're sitting pretty good.
    Last edited by Axeman33; February 26, 2013 at 5:20 AM.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I disagree about the upside, RNHs is much higher, but it's an unnecessary risk
    Is it though? Getzlaf has already dropped a 90-point season and Benn has as much potential as anyone. I'm not putting down RNH's upside, I just think it's foolish to write off the upside of these two as well. I guess it's semantics though depending on what you define as "much higher".

Is it though? Getzlaf has already dropped a 90-point season and Benn has as much potential as anyone. I'm not putting down RNH's upside, I just think it's foolish to write off the upside of these two as well. I guess it's semantics though depending on what you define as "much higher".
    Well at this point I consider Getz's 90 an anomaly for a 75-point players and I think Benn will cap at 82 in 82 - PPG type of deal. So when RNH, especially with two of Hall/Eberle/Yakupov can put up 90-100 (which I think he can), I would consider that much higher.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Well at this point I consider Getz's 90 an anomaly for a 75-point players and I think Benn will cap at 82 in 82 - PPG type of deal. So when RNH, especially with two of Hall/Eberle/Yakupov can put up 90-100 (which I think he can), I would consider that much higher.
    Right but that's what upside is. You aren't supposed to hit upside every year.

I'd take RNH over Getzlaf, but that's about it.

Right but that's what upside is. You aren't supposed to hit upside every year.
    Different opinions. I think RNHs upside is to hit 90 consistently. I don't think Benn and Getz can. The way I look at an upside range is the low number is what they can do consistently, the high number what they could do if everything went right. So for Nuge I think 90 (will do consistently after offseason surgery to fix that shoulder) - 100 (the year hall finally puts up 50 goals). For Getz I think his upside is 70 (what he will always do) - 90 (that year everything went right). For Benn 78 (Should always be about PPG) - 85. Ergo, RNH has a much higher upside but is less proven.

Dobber Sports Stud

Thanks everyone for the input. The offer right now is Getzlaf and E.Kane for RNH. I like the offer, but Getz is putting up points consistantly and that carries a lot of value for wining this year. Plus I really like Getz. His only hang up is that he already has Perry and Ryan and doesn't want to be overstacked with one team.

I realize Nuge has huge upside, but I don't want to lose sight of this years goal... Wining.

Another option would be be making this a two for two deal where I would land Perry or Parise. I would probably have to include Benn in the deal, and I don't think I win that deal.

14 Team, Keep14 Farm5, 82GP Cap/Position
    Skaters: Points only, Goalies 2ptWin/3ptSO
    Start: 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,2G
    C- Crosby, Zibanejad, Couturier, Zacha, Frost
    LW- Marchand, Huberdeau, McTavish, Rackell, Kuzmenko
    RW- Konecny, Necas, Caufield, Jarvis, Lafreniere
    D- Hughes, Carlson, Werenski, Chychrun, Andersson, Dobson, Weegar
    G- Andersen, Merzlikins, Daccord, Jones
    Farm- Johnston, Foerster, Tarasov, Hutson, Reinbacher
    Picks-1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,11

Dobber Sports Padawan

RNH would be last on this list for me and might not move up unless one of the other guys retires or dies (i hope this doesnt happen). he may have a higher "upside" but really that should only be factored in to break a tie when deciding between two relatively equal players. all the players on your list are his superior. As mentioned before, don't look beyond 2-3 years.