Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NHL GameCenter Live Not Available On PS3

Dobber Sports Expert

Default NHL GameCenter Live Not Available On PS3

So I decided to try GameCenter Live this year instead of having a satellite subscription as per usual. I signed up for the service last night, but I was unable to activate the app on my PS3.

I called customer service this morning, and they told me 'oh yeah, the PS3 app has some bugs and it won't be ready until Feb. 5 at the earliest. There's a notice on the sign-up page, and on the PS3 app page.' I told him that no, there wasn't, and then when we looked at the site together, lo and behold there was no such message.

So now I am trying to decide if I keep the service and try to stream my laptop to my television until the app is ready, or if I take advantage of the 5 day cancellation window.

I just wanted to warn anyone else out there who might be considering using their PS3 on opening day this year - it's not going to happen.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks. Good to know.
    12 team Keeper Head to Head: (10 Keepers)
    G,A,P,+/-,PPP,GWG,PIM,W,SV%,GAA,SO

Duchene - C,
    Marleau, Benn, Ovy - LW
    Eberle,P.Kane, - RW
    Green, Yandle - D
    Price, Rinne - G

Dobber Sports Ninja

Hockeystreams.com is cheaper, gives you more content, and is supported by the PS3.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Hockeystreams.com is cheaper, gives you more content, and is supported by the PS3.
    what is the additional content? can I choose which broadcast I want to watch (home or away)? Is there dvr capability? Are playoffs included?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Dobber Sports Ninja

http://www6.hockeystreams.com/

Just easier to send you to their page so you can decide for yourself. Hopefully you find what you want!

Dobber Sports Expert

http://www6.hockeystreams.com/

Just easier to send you to their page so you can decide for yourself. Hopefully you find what you want!
    I checked out the page, but it seemed kinda of sketchy - and it's pricier than this year's center ice subscription. do you have first-hand experience with it? Does anyone here have it, so they could tell me what's what?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo View Post
    I checked out the page, but it seemed kinda of sketchy - and it's pricier than this year's center ice subscription. do you have first-hand experience with it? Does anyone here have it, so they could tell me what's what?
    Heard from several people who have used it and had good things to say. The cost is based on a 12 month subscription and my understanding is that you can freeze your subscription when you don't want to use it (so during the offseason) and then reinstate it again. So in my mind it almost looks like you will get this season, and potentially most of next, for 100 bucks or whatever it is.

It is a legitimate site though if that is what you are worried about.

Hopefully others here who have used it can give some more information on their experience with it, but I have decided to get it myself this year after getting GameCentre last year and being incredibly disappointed in it in almost every area.

Dobber Sports Expert

Heard from several people who have used it and had good things to say. The cost is based on a 12 month subscription and my understanding is that you can freeze your subscription when you don't want to use it (so during the offseason) and then reinstate it again. So in my mind it almost looks like you will get this season, and potentially most of next, for 100 bucks or whatever it is.

It is a legitimate site though if that is what you are worried about.

Hopefully others here who have used it can give some more information on their experience with it, but I have decided to get it myself this year after getting GameCentre last year and being incredibly disappointed in it in almost every area.
    what did you not like about gamecentre?

Dobber Sports Ninja

1) Blackouts - Even though I did not live in the region where I wanted to watched my team play (I live across the BC border and want to watch Oiler games) I still had my games blacked out every time it was on TSN, CBC, or Sportsnet Pacific (rarely if they were playing the Canucks). The playoffs are of course entirely blacked out.

2) Reliability - Sounds like this was not an issue for some folks, but I had several nights during the season where the feed would just stop working, OR I would end up having login troubles. I only ever used my account from home, and on the same computer, so using it other places wasn't the reason why this was happening. Often I would have to make a phone call to get things working again.

3) XBMC - I could NOT get this to work with my XBMC. Maybe things have gotten better in this area with the way those crazy developers work, but I hated having to leave my XBMC and fire up the browser to get it to work.

4) Opt Out - I guess I didn't read the fine print somewhere but the system is a recurring charge for the next year. I had to get on the phone to cancel my subscription for the following year. A minor detail, but just an indication of how they do business.

Now, this hockeystreams place offers minor league games (and things like the Memorial Cup!!) for half the price, with no blackouts, and I can freeze the account and roll it into next year. Maybe it's overhyped, I don't know, but I just don't see how I can go wrong if it actually works as people say it does.

Dobber Sports Expert

I have been reading that the hockeystreams feeds are not always reliable. The playoffs being included really interests me, however.

The thing is, hockeystreams is in no way legal. There are no NHL logos anywhere on the site. I wonder where they are operating from?

Dobber Sports Ninja

I have been reading that the hockeystreams feeds are not always reliable. The playoffs being included really interests me, however.

The thing is, hockeystreams is in no way legal. There are no NHL logos anywhere on the site. I wonder where they are operating from?
    Yeah, that's certainly a concern. Maybe I am letting my desire to save money override some common sense here...hmm.

Dobber Sports Expert

I might go with hockeystreams as an add-on to center ice and see how they compare - and if it works well, it will be my playoff solution I appreciate you putting them on my radar doulos.

Banned

3) XBMC - I could NOT get this to work with my XBMC. Maybe things have gotten better in this area with the way those crazy developers work, but I hated having to leave my XBMC and fire up the browser to get it to work.
    Wow. At first I thought you were pulling my leg, then I googled it and sure enough they've written a Hockeystreams plugin for XBMC! I'm a huge fan of XBMC and I've got all our computers networked to share content with it and its just awesome. We don't even have TV anymore because why bother? I get my football over the air in HD with a little indoor antenna and a tuner card and I just pull it into XBMC with my other content. TV shows we just watch on Netflix or Hulu or often we'll just wait for a season to complete and get em all at once. I've tried multiple home theater setups over the years but this one is by far my favorite, thanks for the tip!

btw, which plugin did you use? there seems to be a couple different ones

Banned

I might go with hockeystreams as an add-on to center ice and see how they compare - and if it works well, it will be my playoff solution I appreciate you putting them on my radar doulos.
    they also archive games so you can go back and watch em after the fact...they also stream everything so you can watch international games, WJC (not a big deal if you live in Canada I know, but try getting it in the US!)

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    Wow. At first I thought you were pulling my leg, then I googled it and sure enough they've written a Hockeystreams plugin for XBMC! I'm a huge fan of XBMC and I've got all our computers networked to share content with it and its just awesome. We don't even have TV anymore because why bother? I get my football over the air in HD with a little indoor antenna and a tuner card and I just pull it into XBMC with my other content. TV shows we just watch on Netflix or Hulu or often we'll just wait for a season to complete and get em all at once. I've tried multiple home theater setups over the years but this one is by far my favorite, thanks for the tip!

btw, which plugin did you use? there seems to be a couple different ones
    This will be my first shot at hockeystreams so I'll have to let you know once I get it up and running.