Thread: Anyone care about the CFL

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Anyone care about the CFL

It is the 100 year aniversary of the CFL and the grey cup is this weekend, does anyone even care about this game?

I will be watching enjoying chicken wings. hmmm
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Administrator

I moderately care about the CFL. I enjoy it from time to time but I'm not like some who are homers and believe the CFL is better than the NFL. It simply is not.

As for the Grey Cup game... I would love to see it but it depends on what else is happening for me this weekend. In other words, I am not hooked by any means.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

I will watch the CFL if there is nothing else on, but I dont follow it closely.

As far as the Grey Cup goes, I will probably check it out and flip the channel around, but I am not going to watch the whole game. I heard Bieber is doing the half-time show.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I heard Bieber is doing the half-time show.
    I am no longer watching the Grey Cup.

Administrator

Haven't cared about it in almost a decade. I'm not sure why but I really just don't care.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    The biggest difference for me... why do most NFL quarterbacks seem so polished and cannon-like, while most quarterbacks in the CFL seem to struggle to even throw a good spiral?

Thats why they are in the CFL.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    I loved it when I was a kid. Then I finally got fed up for some reason.

The biggest difference for me... why do most NFL quarterbacks seem so polished and cannon-like, while most quarterbacks in the CFL seem to struggle to even throw a good spiral?

I could seriously watch a Packers game just to watch Aaron Rodgers throw a football. It's amazing. So precise, with an amazingly quick release, and strong with every throw. Just ZING and it's exactly where he wants it to go. Awesome.

Then I watch guys like Drew Tate throw a wobbly thing seemingly straight up in the air and it just kinda hangs for awhile, and it's miraculously caught because there's so much more room for the D to cover on those fields.

I don't know. I just seem to remember CFL quarterbacks being much more impressive than they are today.
    Agreed,
    When I watch sports, I want to see the best of the best doing things 99% of the population couldn't dream of doing. Sure there are some athletes in the CFL but as an entertainment product it just isn't up to snuff for me. This includes camera angles, production value, story lines, marketable characters and leagues that have more than 6 teams where 2 of them are named roughriders. Also they should use the smaller ball. Makes for a better passing game which is more entertaining and should take the aforementioned "wobble" out of it.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Administrator

The CFL is basically like the KHL. It does well with home-grown talent and can even retain some player that are good enough to play in the top league, but in the end it is just a B-league.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

If you're a football fan, these are the tiers.

1. NFL
    2. NCAA
    3. CFL

I've never really liked the CFL to be honest.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by dmvincent View Post
    If you're a football fan, these are the tiers.

1. NFL
    2. NCAA
    3. CFL

I've never really liked the CFL to be honest.
    As a Canadian, I can appreciate the history behind the CFL but as a football fan, its really not very good football. They have some highly skilled guys but lets be honest, if they were any good, do you think they would be playing in Canada? Its not like anyone coming out of college is saying to his team mate "Gee I hope the BC Lions draft me".

On a side note, if you think the CFL is poor, have you watched any of the CIS Football? Skilled position players (ie QB) are pretty sad. They can produce some decent linemen, but short of that, its just bad football.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    As a Canadian, I can appreciate the history behind the CFL but as a football fan, its really not very good football. They have some highly skilled guys but lets be honest, if they were any good, do you think they would be playing in Canada? Its not like anyone coming out of college is saying to his team mate "Gee I hope the BC Lions draft me".

On a side note, if you think the CFL is poor, have you watched any of the CIS Football? Skilled position players (ie QB) are pretty sad. They can produce some decent linemen, but short of that, its just bad football.
    Coming out of high school, I decided to pursue political science at Acadia University. I was pretty set on studying just that, but I found the material to be so incredibly repetitive and I decided to go a different route. I covered the football team for the student newspaper during my first year. That's where I started writing and building my portfolio (2008).

The team was awful, but it was exhilarating to be covering them at such a young age. They had one good player, a wide receiver named Devon Jones.

I ended up transferring back close to home, because although I did enjoy the school it just didn't have the types of programs I was interested in.
    Last edited by dmvincent; November 23, 2012 at 12:47 PM.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Deity

Growing up in the Valley, I went to a few Acadia Football games myself (hence my name on these forums) and its about as good as it gets for live football in that area. Its a fun environment to watch a live football game, but the quality of play is pretty sad.