Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Thread: What books are you reading?

The Wolverine

Default What books are you reading?

Thought I'd start this thread, especially as other threads (the film ones in particular) had many getting into their favourites books and current reads.

I'm currently reading the third book of the Newsflesh trilogy by Mira Grant (Feed, Deadline, Blackout). I'm loving it.

Here's the synopsis:

In 2014, two experimental viruses—a genetically engineered flu strain designed by Dr. Alexander Kellis, intended to act as a cure for the common cold, and a cancer-killing strain of Marburg, known as "Marburg Amberlee" - escaped the lab and combined to form a single airborne pathogen that swept around the world in a matter of days. It cured cancer. It stopped a thousand cold and flu viruses in their tracks.

It raised the dead.

Millions died in the chaos that followed. The summer of 2014 was dubbed "The Rising," and only the lessons learned from a thousand zombie movies allowed mankind to survive. Even then, the world was changed forever. The mainstream media fell, Internet news acquired an undeniable new legitimacy, and the CDC rose to a new level of power.

Set twenty years after the Rising, the Newsflesh trilogy follows a team of bloggers, led by Georgia and Shaun Mason, as they search for the brutal truths behind the infection. Danger, deceit, and betrayal lurk around every corner, as does the hardest question of them all:

When will you rise?

Dobber Sports Wizard

For much of June it was Dobber's prospects report. Seriously.

Right now I'm reading Tom Clancy's Hawx. I've been reading a lot of his books lately, ones he's written and ones like Hawx that carry his name but are written by various authors under the pseudonym David Micheals. The Splinter Cell series is good if your into the futuristic military/cloak and dagger stuff. They're good reads and nothing overly long, you can usually blow through a book in a couple of days at most.

Got King's Full Dark, No Stars and Wind Through The Keyhole both warming up in the bullpen. After that I've got a bunch of Dean Koontz books to read. His entire Frankenstein series, that one piqued my interest, we'll see how he spins the story. Also have his newest 77 Shadow Street, and I want to go back and reread his Odd Thomas series before I get into the new one coming out this month.

That'll keep me busy for a while. Especially going back and rereading the first four books in the Dark Tower series, which I want to do before Wind, which will inevitably lead to reading the rest of the series afterwards.

Mine's a non-fiction by one of my favorite conservative political commentators, Andrew Sullivan - Conservative Soul: Fundamentalism, Freedom, and the Future of the Right

Sullivan outlines the devolution of the GOP from the traditional conservatism of the founding fathers to the current theo-conservative fundamentalism party as it exists today.

He does a great job of demonstrating that today's "conservatives" are not so conservative at all (among other things)

Great book!

[EDIT] Here's an overview...

Today's conservatives support the idea of limited government, but they have increased government's size and power to new heights. They believe in balanced budgets, but they have boosted government spending, debt, and pork to record levels. They believe in national security but launched a reckless, ideological occupation in Iraq that has made us tangibly less safe. They have substituted religion for politics and damaged both.

In The Conservative Soul, one of the nation's leading political commentators makes an impassioned call to rescue conservatism from the excesses of the Republican far right, which has tried to make the GOP the first fundamentally religious party in American history. In this bold and powerful book, Andrew Sullivan makes a provocative, prescient, and heartfelt case for a revived conservatism at peace with the modern world, and dedicated to restraining government and empowering individuals to live rich and fulfilling lives.
    Last edited by Bomm Bastic; July 7, 2012 at 6:51 AM.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Due Diligence: An Impertinent Inquiry into Microfinance by David Roodman

Dobber Sports Pro

Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin

I took me a long time to read the first book, and unfortunately I've fallen into the same trap with the 3rd book. Funny how a 1 year old, work, and grad school can do that to ya.

I'll have to start from scratch in the fall. I'll hopefully have it done in time for Game of Thrones season 3.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Dobber Sports Immortal

Im currently all over the place.

Im reading a book called Leviathan by Paul Aster right now and loving it.

But then there are the books that I have finished recently and are going to continue to read the series.

Girl with Dragon Tat...need to read book 2
    Dark Tower: Gunslinger....need to read book 2
    Hunger Games...need to read book 2

Plus I read a couple Sherlock Holmes books after I fell in love with the BBC show so Id like to pick back up with that.

Annnnnd whenever I do cardio at the gym I read that ESPN book, "Those Guys Have All the Fun"....which has actually been really slow so far and I haven't gotten into it as much as I thought I would.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Waiting...

I'm waiting on the last book of both the "Wheel of Time" series and "A Song of Fire and Ice" series to come out. Both great fantasy adventure stories if you're into the genre.

Nothing right now.

I've actually been listening to the books on audio while I do my errands (driving, shopping, etc.) and while running (surprisingly increased my pace vs. music.; I think it's because you concentrate some much more on the story you forget you're running).
    11 Team 1yr. daily update Yahoo Roto League (drafted 6th)
    Roster: 2C, 2L, 2R, 4D, 1U, 2G, 10 B, 1IR (NO max games played)
    Stats: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, BS, W, GAA, SV%, SHO

C: J. Thornton, N. Backstrom, P. Stastny, D. Desharnais, Z. Konopka
    L: J. Benn (C/L), Jo. Staal (C/L), D. Perron (C/L), S. Kostitsyn, A. McDonald (C/L), B. Prust
    R: M. St.Louis, B. wheeler, J. Voracek, T. Purcell
    D: S. Weber, A. Goligoski, J. Carlson, D. Seidenberg, J. Gorges
    G: J. Quick, M. Smith, J. Hiller
    IR: --

I...am your father.

I'm reading the Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan) for the second time. I read the first 11 books a few years ago and got into some other series since then (Song of Ice and Fire, Malazan Book of the Fallen, some Stephen King, a few others). Prior to picking up the 12th I reviewed the first 11 and realized I forgot most of it. So I'm re-reading it. Just finished the 4th book last night.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Plus I read a couple Sherlock Holmes books after I fell in love with the BBC show so Id like to pick back up with that.
    I love Arthur Conan Doyle! His short stories are awesome. Poe too!
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Thought I'd start this thread, especially as other threads (the film ones in particular) had many getting into their favourites books and current reads.

I'm currently reading the third book of the Newsflesh trilogy by Mira Grant (Feed, Deadline, Blackout). I'm loving it.

Here's the synopsis:
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to have to get my hands on those books. I loooove zombie stuff For other great zombie book suggestions, I would run, not walk, to get my hands on World War Z which is one of my all-time favorite books. Monster Island is also really good.

Other great books that I would recommend is Ready Player One if you grew up during the 80s and 90s, as it uses A LOT from that period of media, so it draws you in with nostalgia. The Windup Girl is another great read if you want something unique. Any book by Neil Gaiman is great, but Neverwhere and Stardust are particularly great.

Right now I'm reading a couple books. I always dart back and forth between several different ones. I'm reading book one of the Forerunner trilogy of the Halo books and John Green's The Fault in our Stars. That's the two fiction books for me right now. For non-fiction, I'm reading Tim Ferriss' The 4 Hour Body which is extremely fascinating. I just got done with Jeremy Scahill's book on Blackwater and that was really interesting.
    GO WINGS!

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by sentium View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to have to get my hands on those books. I loooove zombie stuff For other great zombie book suggestions, I would run, not walk, to get my hands on World War Z which is one of my all-time favorite books. Monster Island is also really good.
    Thanks. If it makes any difference, Newsflesh is not really about zombies. It's the setting, not the story.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

All the better, actually
    GO WINGS!

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post

Wind Through The Keyhole both warming up in the bullpen.

That'll keep me busy for a while. Especially going back and rereading the first four books in the Dark Tower series, which I want to do before Wind, which will inevitably lead to reading the rest of the series afterwards.
    I'm looking forward to reading Wind Through the Keyhole as well soon. Though after I'm done with Newsflesh, I plan on getting my hands on 11/22/63, which has just come out in paperback over here.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default One shot

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I'm reading the Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan) for the second time. I read the first 11 books a few years ago and got into some other series since then (Song of Ice and Fire, Malazan Book of the Fallen, some Stephen King, a few others). Prior to picking up the 12th I reviewed the first 11 and realized I forgot most of it. So I'm re-reading it. Just finished the 4th book last night.
    Yeah, I was lucky that I just got into Wheel of Time like 2 years ago and ripped through all the books one after another. I just finished the last like 9 months ago. Since then it's been the Girl w/ the Dragon Tattoo series, Hunger Games series, Bangkok 8 (cute little book about the death of a policeman, but gets into the culture of Thialand- recommend) and then Fire & Ice.
    11 Team 1yr. daily update Yahoo Roto League (drafted 6th)
    Roster: 2C, 2L, 2R, 4D, 1U, 2G, 10 B, 1IR (NO max games played)
    Stats: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, BS, W, GAA, SV%, SHO

C: J. Thornton, N. Backstrom, P. Stastny, D. Desharnais, Z. Konopka
    L: J. Benn (C/L), Jo. Staal (C/L), D. Perron (C/L), S. Kostitsyn, A. McDonald (C/L), B. Prust
    R: M. St.Louis, B. wheeler, J. Voracek, T. Purcell
    D: S. Weber, A. Goligoski, J. Carlson, D. Seidenberg, J. Gorges
    G: J. Quick, M. Smith, J. Hiller
    IR: --

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by sentium View Post
    All the better, actually
    Cool. Hope you enjoy it. I had never heard of it until I saw Feed in the shop, and grabbed it just because the description intrigued me. I believe these are Grant's first published novels, so I'll definitely be keeping tabs on her future work.

I have been intrigued about World War Z, thanks.

Another zombie related series I'm thinking about getting eventually is David Moody's Autumn. I've enjoyed the first two books of another series (Hater, Dog Blood, Them or Us), so I'm used to his writing style.