Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Erik Karlsson

Dobber Sports Pro

To me, it looks like Cooke is just trying to make sure Karlsson is pinned to boards so Karlsson doesn't bounce off or turn out of the hit and join the break out. Seems like an attempt to disrupt his zone breakout habits, which would have been a strategy going into the game after watching tape on Karlsson. I think Cooke lifts his leg simply to ensure that the slippery Karlsson doesn't slip out of the check and join the rush. Very unfortunate chain of events for hockey fans everywhere.

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

If anyone thinks this was premeditated, that person is just stupid. This was an accident, plain as day to anyone.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post

- Intent to injure? Matt Cooke may have changed his ways, primarily in terms of head-hunting, but he is one of those players who is always looking to hurt people, especially the better players on the other teams. He's not the only guy in the league with that approach, but he is one of the main guys you think of when you look at guys who try to hurt. So it is here, he pins Karlsson against the boards and basically makes a move that usually results in a type of slewfoot, lifts his left leg, very reckless, so that it comes down on Karlsson's leg.

So, attempt to cut the tendon, no way, attempt to injure, most likely, it's just the player he is.
    Totally agree. The severing of the tendon was an unfortunate outcome, but Cooke definitely went into that corner with some sort of intent to cause pain or discomfort to throw Karlsson off his game. it created a dangerous situation which resulted in one of the worst possible outcomes. Had it been another player, the leg would have stayed on the ice which meant there would be no chance of this freak injury.

Kevlar socks. I think its time these millionaire pro players bought some
    10 Team Yahoo Roto
    Keep 3F, 1D, 1G (to max 2 years unless franchise keeper)
    3C,3LW,3RW,4D,2G,2BN,2IR Roto-play 85games/position
    Player: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, HIT, BS SOG, FW
    Goalie: W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: (F1) Tavares, Stastny, Carter
    LW: 1-Hall, Pacioretty, B.Schenn
    RW: Mackinnon, Nyquist, Hornqvist
    D: 1-Carlson, Josi, Faulk, Franson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    BN: Jones, Niemi

#- denotes number of years I have kept a player. 2 = I need to trade him this year, (F1) = Franchise Keeper, up to 4 years.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    If anyone thinks this was premeditated, that person is just stupid. This was an accident, plain as day to anyone.
    Agreed. Hard not to smirk at all the Sens fans having strokes and saying Cooke tried to injure their Godsend Karlsson. It was a hockey accident, plain and simple. Don't make more of it than it is. Let the guy recover and let the Sens keep playing hockey.

And Bryan Murray's post game comments were completely classless and unprofessional. You are a GM. Represent your organization with integrity. Don't act like a pouting clown, spewing out words before thinking about them. Grow up and run your team.

Banned

Not intentional. Bit reckless. League got it right. But the Pens might want to sit Cooke the next game.

Murray's comments are justified though. The team gets screwed so much by the refs and the league, he can't hold it back for much longer. Let the guy vent.

Banned

most just say "reckless play by a reckless player"

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

that play could have happened to anyone. if it was datsyuk no one would say anything, it's just cooke's rep that's making him look bad.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Sucks for Sens fans but it certainly didn't look intentional.

As Ev stated, reckless (careless, negligent), I would apply. Which is certainly improper in its own right. But not to the level of calculated or intentional.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Not intentional. Bit reckless. League got it right. But the Pens might want to sit Cooke the next game.

Murray's comments are justified though. The team gets screwed so much by the refs and the league, he can't hold it back for much longer. Let the guy vent.
    Regardless, those are inappropriate comments for a GM to make. I can understand it from a coach, but it shouldn't come from a GM.

And to say they are "justified" means that he is right in saying what he said. And he is not right. It is not justified. At all. It was a personal attack on a player who has made leaps and bounds to reform his game. Not fair to Cooke.

Banned

Well for a guy who has injured countless players, I don't think he deserves to be treated fairly. Yeah he's changed a bit, but you can't ignore his past.

Banned

BUt again, I don't think what he did was malicious in this case. It's just an obvious trend with the guy. Controversy follows him. Of course he will not get as much benefit of the doubt. Would a reformed pedophile be allowed to care for children?

Dobber Sports Expert

I don't think it was intentional, however if his skates were in contact with the ice it could have been avoided.
    73M Cap, Partial Keeper: 4F(ANY) 2D, 2G, Year : H2H Daily 2C/2LW/2RW/1F/4D/2G, 16 Teams

Pro

C: Eichel Seguin
    LW: Ovechkin, Lee
    RW: Marner, Palmieri Buchnevich, Simmonds
    D: Karlsson Byfuglien, Petry, Muzzin
    G: Rask, Murray Jarry

Farm (Max 200 GP):
    C. White, Vrana, Hischier, Sikura, DeSmith

Stat Categories

Skaters
    FOW(.1) G(4) A(3) PPG(1.5) PPA(1) SHG(3) SHA(2) GWG(1) SOG(.2) +-(1) PIMS(.1) BLK(.2) HIT(.2)
    Goalies
    W(6) L(-1) SHO(5) SV(0.1) GA(-0.2) GAA(Range of -1 to 8) SV%(Range of -1 to 8)
    Twitter:@RogerWi1co

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    BUt again, I don't think what he did was malicious in this case. It's just an obvious trend with the guy. Controversy follows him. Of course he will not get as much benefit of the doubt. Would a reformed pedophile be allowed to care for children?
    I don't believe that is a very applicable comparison. Hitting is a normal part of the game. Being a reckless hitter is being a dumbass. Pedophilia is not a normal part of adult life.

I think a more applicable comparison would be if he were a professional cook. Being a reckless professional cook means you are a dumbass and you can hurt people if you do your job improperly. Fitting with his name.

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    that play could have happened to anyone. if it was datsyuk no one would say anything, it's just cooke's rep that's making him look bad.

Karma has a way of catching up with you. That's what the fable The Boy Who Cried Wolf was all about.

We didn't have that read to us dozens of times in our youth just because it was such a cool story. People can and will judge us according to our past deeds.

RETIRED