Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's your workout routine?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default What's your workout routine?

I came in from a midnight run about an hour ago. Well, not exactly a midnight run. I started at 1.30AM and ran a bit over 5 km. First time I this time around that I ran so late. I used to run 10 km two or three times a week, but that was four or five years ago, then I had some injury troubles and got some bad shoes that hurt my shins. Long story short, I put running aside and just played floorball twice a week for a bunch of years. Now I'm back to running again and I've been upping the distance a bit. Started out at 3.2 km (it's a course I like around the area) and then I just tacked on an extra lap at one turn, so now it's 5.3 km. I'm going to do this four times a week, at least, and then up it to one more lap when I have settled in on a pace that feels good, which should take me to around 7.5. The goal is 10 km.

I've tried running while listening to music, podcasts or audio books but I just don't like it. I like running with just the thoughts in my head and the best is when I just empty all of it, almost like what I imagine yoga to be. I love the feeling I get after a good run. Doesn't beat the feeling of scoring a goal in hockey or floorball, but it's still damn good.

I also have a couple of kettlebells (20 kg, 8 kg) that I use in my apartment for some exercises to strengthen my core.

Basically, I used to be in shape and then injuries, laziness and bad eating routines made me put on 25-30 kg of weight. I'm 33 years old. Now that I'm back to running and have slowly but surely adopted better eating habits, I hope to lose most of that in about a year. I've set some training and weight goals to use as short term motivation, but most of all I just want to get in my old favorite clothes

So what do you workout routines look like? Do you have any goals? Any tips and pointers you want to share?
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: What's your workout routine?

Interval training is what I do. I find it's the best way for me to lose extra weight. I usually do 20 min of double unders @ 20s work/10s rest interval. I follow this with body weight exercises (pull ups, push ups, etc.). My routine usually takes about an hour.

Double unders are done with a jump rope. The rope has to do two passes per jump instead of one.
    H2H Daily 12 Team League, 7 Keepers
    Start 3C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 4D, 2G
    G, A, +/-, SOG, PPP, PIM, HIT, BLK, W, L, GAA, SV%, SHO

2014-15 Champion

C- Tavares, Krejci, Trocheck
    LW- Hall, Lee, Guentzel (C), Lucic, Skinner, Marchessault (C)
    RW- Lindholm (C), Radulov, Nylander (C), Arvidsson,
    D- Weber, Provorov, Klingberg, Hamilton
    G- Bishop, Lehner, Mrazek

Farm: Zacha, Bjork

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    I came in from a midnight run about an hour ago. Well, not exactly a midnight run. I started at 1.30AM and ran a bit over 5 km. First time I this time around that I ran so late. I used to run 10 km two or three times a week, but that was four or five years ago, then I had some injury troubles and got some bad shoes that hurt my shins. Long story short, I put running aside and just played floorball twice a week for a bunch of years. Now I'm back to running again and I've been upping the distance a bit. Started out at 3.2 km (it's a course I like around the area) and then I just tacked on an extra lap at one turn, so now it's 5.3 km. I'm going to do this four times a week, at least, and then up it to one more lap when I have settled in on a pace that feels good, which should take me to around 7.5. The goal is 10 km.

I've tried running while listening to music, podcasts or audio books but I just don't like it. I like running with just the thoughts in my head and the best is when I just empty all of it, almost like what I imagine yoga to be. I love the feeling I get after a good run. Doesn't beat the feeling of scoring a goal in hockey or floorball, but it's still damn good.

I also have a couple of kettlebells (20 kg, 8 kg) that I use in my apartment for some exercises to strengthen my core.

Basically, I used to be in shape and then injuries, laziness and bad eating routines made me put on 25-30 kg of weight. I'm 33 years old. Now that I'm back to running and have slowly but surely adopted better eating habits, I hope to lose most of that in about a year. I've set some training and weight goals to use as short term motivation, but most of all I just want to get in my old favorite clothes

So what do you workout routines look like? Do you have any goals? Any tips and pointers you want to share?
    Before I get to the bolded part, just wanted to say congratulations on finding the motivation to get back in the swing of things. It's tough in todays world. You sound like you have a good handle on everything.

I eat the same thing everyday at the exact same time Monday through to Saturday. On Sunday, I eat whatever I want. I tried to attach my meal plan, but it said invalid file name - I will keep trying.

My workouts are intense, but lighter weights as I have 3 very serious issues with my heart. I am only allowed to lift 50 pounds. I go over this for legs obviously, even though I shouldn't. My background is that of a bodybuilder, so it is very difficult for me to totally change training philosophies every since I was diagnosed (about 3-4 years ago now), but I did it. I'm still able to maintain for 6'2", 250 pound frame.

I do a lot a triple-sets and my rep range is 10-50 depending on the body part. My reps need to be high in order for me to fatigue with the lighter weights I use now. Cardio, I do everyday, the second I wake up after pounding a litre of water and a black coffee.

I also have a baby now and I am starting to relax a bit and not be as strict. But when I am on, I'm on.

I remember when The Comish and Dobber met me at a function, Comish said he has never seen anyone so big, Haha. To his credit, I've never seen someone so small, until I started watching Game of Thrones. I hope Comish sees this. Haha.

No goals, other than to stay alive now and be in shape for my daughter and my career (firefighter).

I also train in MMA 3-4 times a week. You won't find a better core or mind workout.

Give Angus a shout, he is a certified personal trainer and has very modern takes on everything.

- - - Updated - - -

STEVE’S SCHEDULE & MEAL PLAN

8:00am
    - 45 minutes of cardio. HIIT 3 times a week. Light stretch
    Meal #1 9:30am
    - 1 Tablespoon of Coconut oil, green onion, 2 whole eggs w/ 300ml egg whites, 1oz. oven-roasted turkey, Franks hot-sauce
    - 1 cup quinoa or 2 slices Ezekiel bread
    Meal #2 12:00pm
    - 3.5oz. Chicken breast
    - 5oz. yam w/ olive oil, Cajun spice and garlic (Sliced and baked in oven)
    - 120 grams broccoli, zucchini or any green veggie
    - 15ml unrefined Omega oil w/ 2 heaping tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
    Meal #3 3:00pm
    - 1/3 cup dry Steel-cut oats with tablespoon of organic-natural peanut butter, banana, sprinkled w/ ground flax/chia/hemp seeds, walnuts, unsweetened shredded coconut, cinnamon, 1 scoop of whey protein and drizzled w/ pure maple syrup or organic honey
    Meal #4 (on the way to the gym)
    - 1 oz. of 90+% dark cocoa
    Meal #5 (post workout) 5:15pm
    - Nutri-Bullet – Any combination of spinach, kale and Swiss chard, ˝ of an avocado, teaspoon of wheat germ, 15ml unrefined Omega oil, 1 scoop of protein, serving of Greens +, Teaspoon of L-Glutamine, splash of coconut milk and almond milk. Top with fresh fruit.
    Meal #6 6:30pm
    - Protein Bar
    - 120g of Greens beans
    - Palm sized raw almonds
    Meal #7 8:30pm
    - 3oz. salmon
    - Red Pepper or 1 cup of homemade Tomato Basil soup
    Meal #8 10:30pm
    - 3oz. ground venison or extra lean ground beef
    - 1 cup 1% cottage cheese
    - Vitamins – 1000mg Vitamin C, 2000mg Vitamin D and 2 Calcium pills, B12

***On days I do not workout with weights or do two workouts – replace Meal 3, 4 and 5 at 3:00pm with a smoothie.
    - BASE – Greek yogurt or thick coconut milk
    - LIQUID – water, milk or almond milk
    - A HEALTHY FAT – Omega oil and 1/3 avocado
    - VEGGIES – kale or veggie greens
    - FRUIT – frozen berries
    - PROTEIN POWDER – power oats

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by SixtyPercentOfTheTime View Post
    Interval training is what I do. I find it's the best way for me to lose extra weight. I usually do 20 min of double unders @ 20s work/10s rest interval. I follow this with body weight exercises (pull ups, push ups, etc.). My routine usually takes about an hour.

Double unders are done with a jump rope. The rope has to do two passes per jump instead of one.
    We skip at MMA classes, I suck at it. Good for you for being a beast.

Dobber Sports Padawan

In order to keep a muscular build and strength, lift/body weight exercises first and cardio after. If you want to just lose as much weight possible and don't care about strength cardio first. I took my mech kins and ex phys classes with one of the trainers for the USA boxing team, guy taught me a lot about exercise science. Obviously limit carbs after 2 pm and make sure you have protein with every meal. Your body can't handle more than 40g of protein in a 2 hour period, you poop out the rest.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I try to follow Tim Ferriss' slow carb diet from his book The 4 Hour Body. I've managed to replace most of the fast carbs like potatoes, rice, pasta, bread with veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, kale, etc) and legumes (black beans and green beans, mainly) and lentils, although I have a bunch of spice experimenting to do with the lentils before I'm happy with the taste. So I eat a lot of veggies, pretty normal amounts of proteins, cut out dairy and fruit unless it's a cheat day. The one big thing I've had trouble with is my breakfast. Tim says that the biggest factor for weight loss on that program is to eat 30 grams of protein within 30 minutes of waking up. If you do that, that turns your metabolism into overdrive compared to doing anything else for breakfast. First of all I'm a big snoozer. Secondly, I usually don't eat breakfast at all and if I do, it's after being awake for two hours. I know it's just in my head, that I should just get up and pound that big glass of water and then make my eggs and black beans breakfast, but it's been damn hard to do consistently so far.

I've always been naturally big without ever spending a lot of time in the gym. Always played soccer, hockey, floorball and did a bunch of running. So I don't do THAT much weight training. My main goals are to slim down, have a strong core (for my back issues) and have good conditioning. I know BMI was originally intended to keep track of big populations and it wasn't meant to be used on an individual level, but I look slim at 85 kg. I'm 180 cm (5'11"), so even if I look slim, I'm overweight according to BMI, which is just bullshit. Anyway, I'm at 115 right now and the goal is to get back down to 85 and then I'll see how I feel.

Thanks a lot for the feedback so far, boys!
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Wow, you guys are intense...

At 40 I was in pretty good shape, lost any working out for about five years... Have now got back into it some, and I'm making progress to get back...

What I do are just simple things...

Eating :
    Try to eat better, more vegetables and fruits
    Eat until satisfied not until full
    Have a pizza or burger here and there, if you aren't happy you'll stop.

As you get older don't start to fast or push to hard when you are not ready... Your body will bite back.

And then I try for an hour of cardio three times a week
    I try to lift three times a week, not trying to build mass as when I was young but just to stay in shape..

And the thing that has actually helped a ton... I had a basic Pilates tape.. Learned the exercises and stretches, changed it to be my own routine... I think it may be a lot like yoga.. It's working on your core, building lean muscle.. It may sound silly but pants are getting back to where they were.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by notch4077 View Post
    I remember when The Comish and Dobber met me at a function, Comish said he has never seen anyone so big, Haha. To his credit, I've never seen someone so small, until I started watching Game of Thrones. I hope Comish sees this. Haha.

No goals, other than to stay alive now and be in shape for my daughter and my career (firefighter).
    Why you mother****er!!! I'll Game of Thrones you, you big ****ing ****!! lol, kidding of course. At least you didn't mention dwarf tossing, oh wait, it was probably implied...sonofabitch!! Yeah, I didn't expect to see a 6'2" muscle head at a fantasy hockey gathering! Seriously though, I love your focus on staying alive for your daughter, just awesome Steve. Hope all is well with you and your family. Firefighters, sheesh!

When I was in Afghanistan (spent 13 months there), I would work out two body parts a day, followed by up to 60 mins of cardio, six days a week. I found that if I did the weight training exercises without any breaks, I got out of the gym faster and got the heart pumping faster. For example, Day 1 would be Chest/Biceps. The first exercise would be flat bench with dumbbells, then I'd immediately go do standing alternate curls with dumbbells and alternate for 3 or 4 sets each exercise. I would only do two exercises for each body part, except for legs where I did three different exercises. Abs at the end of every workout, prior to cardio. Rinse, repeat and I lost 30 pounds over those 13 months. Just ate healthy as often as I could, nothing too regimented as we didn't control the menu at our kitchen. Lots of water every day.

Dakkster - You're at the age now where injuries start cropping up and it's harder to lose any weight gains. My best advice is to listen to your body, when it is telling you to take it easy, take it easy. You'll know when you can push it harder. If you try to push through, you could end up injuring yourself and that will set you back. Try to minimize the time away from running/working out; don't let it go months without doing anything. It doesn't get any easier as you age, I'm in my (*cough*) mid-late 40's and find that if I don't listen to my body, it makes me pay, one way or another. Stay in shape, workout as often as you can and eat as well as you can as often as you can. Lykke til! (I know you're Swedish and that's Norwegian, but I'll be you got that!)
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Administrator

It all depends the time of year for me to decide what my "routine" is. During the summer it's basically all sports, all the time. Soccer, beach volleyball, softball, ultimate frisbee, basketball, etc. When I'm not doing sports I'll go hiking or biking or just find a hill to do sprints up. I still hit the weight room plenty during the summer but there's no real plan to what I do. Just lots of circuit training to keep the heart rate up so lower weight and higher rep, maintenance type stuff. I like to do a lot of core work and body weight type stuff. I need to stay limber for my job fire fighting so I can't go hard on the weights too much.

During the winter is a different story. I'm still active playing court sports indoors as well as broom ball but not as much as during the summer. So I get a lot more weight room time in. I've dabbled with all sorts of different training regimens the past few years. A couple of years ago it was a jump program. I wanted to see if I could get my 5'9", short limbed, wide hipped body to dunk a basketball. I followed The Jump Manual plan. It was great. Involved lots of heavy lifting with the legs, plyometrics, core and stretching. I added about four inches to my vertical and got to the point where I could grab the rim with one hand. But then I started to get jumper's knee so I had to give up the dream.

This past winter was all about improving my squat form. You'd think that someone who plays all those jumping sports and did a jump program would know how to squat properly but I always kind of neglected squats for whatever reason. But this winter I started with just strict body squats and built up my form and endurance and then worked my way to adding the bar. Once I got pretty comfortable adding weight to the bar (doing front squats, I still don't trust myself with back squats) I started looking to really build up power. I found this sick power lifting routine called the http://www.muscleandstrength.com/expert-guides/smolov]Smolov Squat Routine[/url]. It's what the Russian power lifters did to train for the Olympics back in the day. Basically it amounts to a few months of non-stop squatting. Pushed my one-rep max up to 245 lbs. front squat, which isn't much but it's about 40 lbs. more than I could do at the start of the session. I also trimmed a minute off my WX-FIT time, which is a standardized test all forest fire fighters in Canada have to do annually so the extra power definitely helped.

The biggest thing I can suggest for improving fitness is to have a plan. Set goals, and come up with a routine that's physically written down so you actually follow it. I don't care how you go about finding the routine. Take it from a magazine, look around online, ask a friend, consult a trainer, whatever. If you don't have a plan and you just kind of aimlessly do stuff you'll probably get more fit but you won't get nearly as good of results.

Also, don't underestimate the power of sleep and nutrition. The actual work (be it running, stretching, yoga, lifting, swimming, whatever) is only a third of the equation. I find that any time I go on lack of sleep my body tries to replace the Zs with food and then everything goes off the rails. The body (and mind) needs time to recover. And you are what you eat.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by notch4077 View Post
    We skip at MMA classes, I suck at it. Good for you for being a beast.
    I started skipping between sets, and unexpectedly I started becoming really good at it. Then it started to become fun. Just stick with. Will kill your calves though hah.

Also kudos to the firefighting, I was a volunteer for 5 years!
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Another midnight run. 5.3 km and I beat last night's time by almost six minutes. Didn't tie my shoes on too tight now, because I was hobbled by that last night. Shoes were nice and loose, no pain and a completely different energy. Feels good!

Dobber Sports Stud

I'm American so I'm supposed to be morbidly obese. We have a reputation to uphold!
    16 Team Dynasty Weekly H2H Fantrax (starters in bold)

G A P +/- PIM SOG PPP H+B FOW --- W SV SV% GAA SO

(C) Krejci, Spezza, Koivo, Statsny Faksa
    (LW) Zetterberg, Duclair, Ehlers, M Domi Belesky, M Martin
    (RW) Pastrnak, Oshie, Larkin, Toffoli S Reinhart, Brouwer
    (D) J Honka, Seabrook, Goligoski, D DeKeyser, Vatanen, Parayko L Schenn, S Johns
    (G) Ward, Lack

Prospects- W Nylander, C Dvorak, I Barbashev, C White, T Rattie, M Dal Colle, A Mantha, R Barber, L Crouse, M Barzal, C Keller, L Brown, C Fischer, B Point, J Forsbacka-Karlsson

I was always into weights, but nothing beyond 2-3 days a week. Then...I quit smoking six years ago, and never looked back. Best thing I could have ever done. However, I was very concerned about post-smoking weight gain, in addition to realizing I needed to seriously revamp my daily routine in order to avoid the psychological queues that would trigger a nicotine fit.

So I incorporated more fruit, veggies, nuts, and yogurt into my daily dietary habits. Also, instead of breakfast lunch dinner, I would merely graze throughout the day avoiding heavy lunches. This is especially true during the work week, being an office/sedentary job. Usually start with a yogurt and banana first thing, then around 10:30 handful or two of cashews or mixed nuts (almonds especially) paired with another serving of fruit (apple, peach, pear etc). Light lunch...no takeout anymore...salad, chicken, turkey, then another fruit helping mid afternoon. Dinner is whatever my wife makes, always home cooking, fresh ingredients - I just maintain proper portions and never eat until full.

As far as my exercise routine...well, that changed drastically about four-five years ago when I saw this dude:

...and I said to myself "Hmmmm....he's forty, and I'm forty(ish)...and I look nothing like that. And what the eff are those exercises??!!"

Fast forward to today...

I do two days of resistance training (back/shoulders and arms/chest), one to two 45 min sessions/week of elliptical or treadmill w/ a 40lb weight vest, one 50 min session of stair climber (@ 10 min intervals) / single arm swing outs (12/arm) - the combo aerobic/anaerobic is really a great sweat. Then one 45 min session of functional training (ropes, medicine ball, etc..)

I interchange a lot, as well as mix in complexes to help improve my time utilization. For example if I am doing back/shoulder resistance training I will do three complexes where each complex include three individual exercises done three times. It just helps me maintain an elevated heart rate and I don't have a lot of time to linger.

It's not so much bulking up is it is elevate heart rate, slimming down and strengthening. My blood pressure has never been lower and at 46 that's no small feat.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Stud

Instead of writing out my workout plan (as I just regularly steal a new one on bodybuilding.com), I'll say kudos to everyone on here working out.

It's just as important to be out there doing something, then nothing at all. The more you get into working out, the more you find yourself looking for new plans, exercises. Eventually you start looking at cleaning up your diet. And finally looking for motivation. It's all a process but getting things going and gaining momentum and going out to the gym is the most important part.
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Banned

I train in the Russian country-side... but only before a big fight.

Cutting down trees, lifting rocks, carrying logs on my shoulders. I grow a beard, climb mountains, outrun a Mercedes...

Basically just eating lightning and shitting thunder.