Thread: Andy Murray wins Wimbledon title!

The Wolverine

Default Andy Murray wins Wimbledon title!

Andy Murray has beaten Novak Djokovic 6-4, 7-5, 6-4 for his first Wimbledon title. Even though it was a straight set win, it was so close, with several breaks of serve and long rallies. What a performance! Congrats Andy!

Dobber Sports Ninja

I didn't follow tennis until recently...but happy for Murray to win this one. Ends a 77 year drought for Great Britain at Wimbledon.

I don't know a whole lot about tennis but I thought Djokovic was off today. It wasn't really back and forth, it was more like Djokovic would get out to a 2-3 game lead and then completely implode to lose the set.

I've grown to like Murray a lot.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I guess they can't call him a choker anymore. Good for him.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    I didn't follow tennis until recently...but happy for Murray to win this one. Ends a 77 year drought for Great Britain at Wimbledon.

I don't know a whole lot about tennis but I thought Djokovic was off today. It wasn't really back and forth, it was more like Djokovic would get out to a 2-3 game lead and then completely implode to lose the set.

I've grown to like Murray a lot.
    It's a fair point - Djokovic wasn't on his best form but a lot of the games could've gone either way. Murray was clutch when it mattered most, whereas Djokovic wasn't - that was the difference. Also, Murray was getting a lot back and Djokovic went with riskier shots, which didn't work as it has in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Username View Post
    I guess they can't call him a choker anymore. Good for him.
    He won last year's US Open as well. But I would have never called him a choker (some did) - he's had to compete against three of the best players of all time. That being said, due to his lack of experience, when he first had the opportunity he did struggle competing against them. But now with that added experience, maturity and Lendl, he's been able to break through. He's only 26 - he could have many great years ahead and looking forward to it.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I saw a tweet that said something like "Every time Murray wins, he's British. Every time he loses, he's Scottish." as a comment on the British media surrounding Murray's results through the years.
    GO WINGS!

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    I saw a tweet that said something like "Every time Murray wins, he's British. Every time he loses, he's Scottish." as a comment on the British media surrounding Murray's results through the years.
    Yep, that is becoming well known over here. I was impressed though that a British/English commentator said that it was the first Scottish champion. But living in Scotland a lot of people are fed up with the British media, especially the BBC.

Something else is making the rounds, though I'm not sure other media outlets would have shown. A brief background - Alex Salmond is the leader of the Scottish National Party, the majority party in Scotland and the one spearheading the campaign for Scottish independence from the UK, which will be voted upon in September next year. At the match, he was sitting behind the Prime Minister, David Cameron, who's totally against it and is very much pro union/UK. Well, after Murray won there was an image of Salmond waiving a big Scottish flag behind Cameron. Classic.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Yep, that is becoming well known over here. I was impressed though that a British/English commentator said that it was the first Scottish champion. But living in Scotland a lot of people are fed up with the British media, especially the BBC.

Something else is making the rounds, though I'm not sure other media outlets would have shown. A brief background - Alex Salmond is the leader of the Scottish National Party, the majority party in Scotland and the one spearheading the campaign for Scottish independence from the UK, which will be voted upon in September next year. At the match, he was sitting behind the Prime Minister, David Cameron, who's totally against it and is very much pro union/UK. Well, after Murray won there was an image of Salmond waiving a big Scottish flag behind Cameron. Classic.
    Haha! Nice little "**** you" to Cameron there
    GO WINGS!

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    Haha! Nice little "**** you" to Cameron there