Thread: Trading during the Lockout

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Trading during the Lockout

Hey guys,

How are your leagues fairing during the lockout? I made one trade with another gung-ho GM but everything else seems pretty much stalled. Some of the other GM's have flat-out stated that they will not make any transactions until the lockout is over. I think a lot are bored or just plain complacent with the NHL so much that they have lost interest in all things NHL.

I know I am bored and was looking to shake things up just by dealing but no one seems to be interested.

Thoughts?
    14 Team Keeper League
    Keep 15
    Start 9F 5D 1G
    G A PIM GWG W SO OTL

Starters
    F: Pastrnak, Kaprizov, Lafrenniere, Pettersson, Raymond, Byfield, Rossi, Hayton, Arvidsson
    D: Seider, Hanifin, Drysdale, Boqvist, Shultz
    G: Demko

Bench:
    F: Pelletier, Noesen
    D: Lundkvist, Hutson, Nikishin, Addison, Spence, York, Zamula
    G: Levi, Wolf

IR: Fantilli, Sergachev

Dobber Sports Padawan

I've found that I care less and less about the labor negotiations and after making a minor trade for a prospect goalie, am now at a point where I'm not planning on changing up my roster unless I'm approached with an interesting offer.

The way I see it, is that while no games are played, people's opinions on their players and others remain relatively constant which explains the lack of movement in leagues everywhere.
    5th Year 12 Team Dynasty H2H, Daily Starts
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, Hits, PPP, SHP
    W, GAA, Sv%, Svs, SO

C: J.Spezza, A.Galchenyuk, E.Kuznetsov, M.Hanzal, V.Rask, S.Couturier
    LW: Z.Parise, M.Gaborik, T.Vanek, J.Skinner
    RW: C.Perry, J.Pavelski, P.Hornqvist, V.Nichushkin
    D: E.Karlsson, P.K Subban, J.Muzzin, R.Ristolainen
    G: R.Miller, S.Varlamov, D.Dubnyk

Prospects: Matthews, Kapanen, Vrana, Scherbak, Zadorov, Grubauer, Pickard, Aittokallio, Makarov, Reway, Guryanov, McCarron, Samsonov, Aho, Montour, Bowey

Dobber Sports Pro

I have been a bit active, bit without knowing whether there will be a season, I don't want to make a lot of deals. Valuesof young and older players are quite dynamic right now. Trading young guy now could be regretful once NHL games finally get under way. With said, I would make a move if it was a good one.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Administrator

Nothing is moving on the NHL front in terms of real games being played so everyone's value is basically treading water. It's a good time to shop around for trades because not everyone is paying attention and if a good player is on the block the waiting line is shorter. But you can't force the issue. Making trades because you're bored can lead to trouble.

In one league we had a couple dead months with just a couple of prospect adds and drops per week but recently had a blitz of trades for no apparent reason. I made a pair of minor trades myself.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Nothing is moving on the NHL front in terms of real games being played so everyone's value is basically treading water. It's a good time to shop around for trades because not everyone is paying attention and if a good player is on the block the waiting line is shorter. But you can't force the issue. Making trades because you're bored can lead to trouble.

In one league we had a couple dead months with just a couple of prospect adds and drops per week but recently had a blitz of trades for no apparent reason. I made a pair of minor trades myself.
    I have to disagree with you a little here. Older guys on the border of retirement are definitely seeing a decrease in value. Whether it is deserved or not, perception is a funny thing.

As well, young guys can see an inflated value right now based on how they are [perceivably] developing. For example, Schultz's value is sky high right now. I'd say Schenn's value is somewhat higher right now as well based on his NHL play. If there was no lockout, both these guys would likely be playing at the NHL level and their production would not likely be what it is now.

UDL Western Kings

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by arctic_rogue View Post
    I have to disagree with you a little here. Older guys on the border of retirement are definitely seeing a decrease in value. Whether it is deserved or not, perception is a funny thing.

As well, young guys can see an inflated value right now based on how they are [perceivably] developing. For example, Schultz's value is sky high right now. I'd say Schenn's value is somewhat higher right now as well based on his NHL play. If there was no lockout, both these guys would likely be playing at the NHL level and their production would not likely be what it is now.
    My statement holds true for the majority of players. It can change for players at both extremes (retirement and rookies) but that is a minority of the overall group of players.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Pro

My statement holds true for the majority of players. It can change for players at both extremes (retirement and rookies) but that is a minority of the overall group of players.
    Agree 100%. The established NHL players that aren't of retirement age will have static value, barring injury of course.

UDL Western Kings

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by The Wrong Marine View Post
    Hey guys,

I know I am bored and was looking to shake things up just by dealing but no one seems to be interested.

Thoughts?
    Join the club. Our league has been a morgue lately and that's being polite. We need a new GM and perhaps two, and we haven't even begun our search. And no, we haven't even discussed a draft date yet. No movement tradewise either, nothing, nada, zilch!! The other day driving home, it came to me " oh yeah, i'm a GM in a fantasy hockey league...I have a team!" It's been sooooo long since anything has happened.

But my fiancee has kept me busy w/helping to decide which wedding invitations look the best .....ugh!

I'm still optimistic about a season beginning in late Dec early Jan.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Ace

Nothing is moving on the NHL front in terms of real games being played so everyone's value is basically treading water.
    I'd agree with this, but only when it comes to younger players/prospects. That's simply because GMs are more likely to pull the trigger on a young player when they struggle out of the gate or are raging hot off the get-go.

I hear the argument about AHL players - but I kinda wonder if it's only really Schultz we're talking about in that regard b/c he's a complete question mark when it comes to NHL play.

Schenn MAY be another guy whose value has increased, but we all know where he sits when it comes to the Flyers. Should seem more PT, but won't be the main guy by any stretch. He'll improve his numbers, but its unlikely he scorches from start to finish. Hence, not sure if a GM is gonna decide his play in the AHL suddenly makes him a guy they've gotta have.

Schultz's play might have GM's thinking that way.

When it comes to established vets, I think you can still get a deal done bc people still know what to expect from those guys.

I've had lengthy discussions on a couple blockbusters in our league. Nothing happened, but it wasn't because they weren't playing. Nothing happened because the other GMs took their time and decided they'd stick what what they have.

That all being said, in our 12-manager league I'd say 7 or 8 GMs simply aren't thinking about their pools one bit. Outta sight, outta mind right now.

Dobber Sports Stud

yeah, i have 1 other GM who loves to trade, so we have talked a few times about it, but everyone else is gone.

Most of us took prospects in a 16 team 20 person keeper (out of 25) assuming there would be no season. Normally we see big time enforcers and checkers with some upside taken after the elite prosptects (at what point are you willing to keep a prospect in a format like this)
    10 team Dyn
    tavares rnh statsny
    AO benn
    kessel malkin
    ryan purcell
    green letang enstrom kulkov OEL ellis
    lundy ward varly bernier lehrner
    burmistrov hodgson michalek, ryan oreilly, turris okposo

16 team h2h
    Spezza, Tavares
    Vanek,doan
    malkin, eberle
    Doughty Letang, karlsson, weber
    hall
    green enstrom downie palmeiri kassain bogo
    lundy price pavelec

weiters fielder kipnis wright hanley braun upton upton maybin victorino goldschmidt
    kershaw, startsburg, greinke, bumgarner, price, neise, bret anderson
    valverde, hanrahan, aceves, reed, guerra, storen

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I've told people I'm not interested in trading during the lockout.

Most of the time, players are traded simply because a team is identifying need based on their current roster performance. Since there are no accumulated stats, most teams are pretty happy with the balance of their (keepers) or one-year team.

I think that's the main reason for lack of trading... most teams start the year feeling balanced, so a trade simply upsets their balance.