Thread: Bjugstad Headed Back To School

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Bjugstad Headed Back To School

Didn't see this posted anywhere. Looking forward to when he joins the Panthers.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...ack-to-school/

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Giant

i belive its a smart move by him. id like to see him come out and do what krider did late season too.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Glad to see he's not too cool for school..

It's actually nice seeing hockey players choosing school before taking the next step.. Some NBA players should take a page from some hockey players books..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post

It's actually nice seeing hockey players choosing school before taking the next step.. Some NBA players should take a page from some hockey players books..
    It's funny you should say that, in regards to the NBA, I agree entirely. The Indiana Pacers almost exclusively draft players that have played 3 or 4 years of college. Definitely far from the norm in the NBA though.

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Quote Originally Posted by Ross The Boss Palmer View Post
    It's funny you should say that, in regards to the NBA, I agree entirely. The Indiana Pacers almost exclusively draft players that have played 3 or 4 years of college. Definitely far from the norm in the NBA though.
    I'm glad you agree, because this is how I have always thought.. Too many young kids rush to the NBA right out of highschool and it really is unfortunate to be honest.. They really don't get the time to grow up and be kids.. They get big money right off the hop and some take a turn for the worst..

Dobber Sports Pro

I'm glad you agree, because this is how I have always thought.. Too many young kids rush to the NBA right out of highschool and it really is unfortunate to be honest.. They really don't get the time to grow up and be kids.. They get big money right off the hop and some take a turn for the worst..
    It is also a testament to how well the hockey players are developed aside from raw talent and skill. I am talking about education, public speaking, financial balancing, etc., is leaps and bounds above the development of a complete player on/off the court in the NBA. I know that the cultures associated with the sports are very different, as are the socioeconomic and geopolitics that the athletes experience in their local environments, which makes the developmnt of a basketball player all that much more important in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross The Boss Palmer View Post
    education, public speaking, financial balancing
    Three very good points and you really can't argue with any of them.. Sure their are a few bright spots, of guys in the NBA who choose to make the leap right out of highschool, such as Kobe Bryant and Lebron James..

Nice seeing another hockey player choose school before the PRO'S..

Dobber Sports Padawan

As much as I wanted to see bjugstad turn pro I figured he'd stay in school, he is a very bright kid who actually finished high school a year early, so you know education is important to him. Very promising to see how big he has gotten already (6'5, 211 lbs). He will be worth the wait!
    Dynasty - $100/yr buy-in - YEAR 8 - $100M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C - Crosby, Malkin, Getzlaf
    LW - Pavelski, Domi
    RW - Seguin, Perry
    D - Letang, OEL, Carlson, Hamilton, J. Schultz
    Util - M. Koivu, Aho, Spooner, Atkinson
    G - Rask, Quick

BENCH
    Brassard, Bjugstad, Jagr, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Buchnevich, Ekblad, Beaulieu, Severson, Lundqvist
    PROSPECT
    Puljujarvi, Boeser, Barzal, Dal Colle, Fiala, Sergachev, Lindell

FOUR TIME DEFENDING CHAMPION

Dobber Sports Novice

I like a player going back to school for further athletic development. But, doesn't a player take a risk going back to school? Financially speaking?

Isn't an athlete with god given talent better off signing a pro contract right away and reap the financial benefits of it?

If a player had a career ending injury in college... wouldn't he be screwed? Yes he would be able to finish out his degree, but to me, it seems safer to "cash in" on your talents immediately.

If it didn't work out professionally or you got hurt in the pros, you could easily just finish out your degree considering you have $500K + in your bank account.

Dobber Sports Genius

Money isn't everything my friend.
    This shows he understands the value of life.The value of education.
    What if he were to give up school , play in the NHL , get hit his 1st shift and
    be injured badly enough he could never play hockey again?Would all that money
    make everything ok?His God given talent wasted/gone.Yes he could still go to school , maybe but , it wouldf be a whole different world.
    Yes he could go to school and something terible could happen as well but , it would be
    what he choose to do for the right reasons.
    There is lifwe beyond hockey Sir.
    Welcome to the site , keep the posts coming.
    I don't mean to be so serious but , I think it's a great example he's setting for the young up and coming players.
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

Well if he did leave school with one more year left to go, I think we can agree that it wouldn't be a "smoothmove".. ZING!!

Dobber Sports Legend

To be honest, I was actually surprised by this. I thought he would at least get a 9 game look to see if he could blow the doors off and stick. Not saying this isn't the best thing for his long-term development, just saying I was surprised.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka